Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves have forgotten how to cut down trees.  (Read 1547 times)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves have forgotten how to cut down trees.
« on: July 11, 2012, 02:28:20 am »

This one really has me confused.

I was trying to give my dwarves a bath with a locked room and the careful use of a screw-pump. I formed a squad and assigned them to the inside of the room. Shut the door. Pulled the lever.

Not a lot happened as there was a stupid tree in the water channel blocking flow. So I cancel the station order and tell the dwarves to cut the tree down. Nothing happens. I belatedly notice that the dwarves have dropped all their axes on the floor.

"What's all this then?" "We're on strike. No more tree cutting till the threat of baths is over."

Seriously though, all my dwarves are idle. All of them have wood-cutting enabled. And none of them are doing anything.

Any clues?

[EDIT] Now I'm _more_ confused.

I wondered if there was something stopping them going through the doorway that used to be locked. So I dismantled a section of wall and all the axes on the floor vanished into thin air!

I looked again a little more closely and it seems that actually every object inside the room instantly re-located to the square outside next to the dismantled section of wall. Damn dwarves still won't pick up the axes, though. Note that the axes aren't marked as forbidden.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 02:36:18 am by ptb_ptb »
()==[:::::::::::::>

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves have forgotten how to cut down trees.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 02:38:33 am »

the item teleporting with deconstruction is a known bug

military assignment and the jobs of woodcutter, miner and hunter (ambusher) mess eachother up. don't have one in the military at the same time as the job is still active, it causes a lot of interesting things, as you may have found out.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 02:41:34 am »

military assignment and the jobs of woodcutter, miner and hunter (ambusher) mess eachother up. don't have one in the military at the same time as the job is still active, it causes a lot of interesting things, as you may have found out.

Ah, so I encountered one bug and one 'feature'. I guess the squads only want to use their preferred weapon or something? Makes part-time troops much less useful.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 02:50:32 am »

Ah, so I encountered one bug and one 'feature'. I guess the squads only want to use their preferred weapon or something? Makes part-time troops much less useful.

I don't know the mechanics behind it, but the three jobs I mentioned have their own uniform which basically seems to be "pick up item(s), no armor, over clothing" so they just pick up a pick, axe or xbow/quiver/bolts. However, any such weapon/tool reserved for hunting, mining or woodcutting is unavailable for military dwarfs, just as weapons claimed by military dwarfs won't be used for woodcutting etc even if you have inactive=ununiformed afaik
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 02:52:16 am »

However, any such weapon/tool reserved for hunting, mining or woodcutting is unavailable for military dwarfs, just as weapons claimed by military dwarfs won't be used for woodcutting etc even if you have inactive=ununiformed afaik

Ah. So if I create twice as many axes as I need there'll be one for woodcutting and one for military for each dwarf? Or does it not work like that.

Zale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 02:54:14 am »

I've also had problems with Dwarves not chopping down trees.

It wasn't a military conflict, or where they had multiple miner/woodcutter/hunter jobs active (Which they can't anyway).

They just.. didn't chop down trees.

quarague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 08:06:22 am »

Ah. So if I create twice as many axes as I need there'll be one for woodcutting and one for military for each dwarf? Or does it not work like that.

that works, it might be easier if your military dwarfs have civilian side jobs that are not miner, woodcutter or hunter but any of the other miriad of jobs available. Tends to make life easier. But then you still need one axe per military axe dwarf plus one per wood cutter.
More importantly, ... , making the project pointlessly difficult and requiring greatly overcomplicated means to set up  ...
from Sphalerite

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 08:07:22 am »

All of them have wood-cutting enabled.

This could be a problem, unless you have dozens and dozens of axes. Why not set three or four useless chumps to be woodcutters?