Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Ruby RPG v3.0: LOOK UPON MY BUGS, YE MIGHTY, AND DESPAIR  (Read 14756 times)

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
Re: Ruby RPG v2.9: Not enough maps. Add more maps.
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2013, 05:46:57 am »

Version 2.9 is released and you can read the information on it in the first post. It's available on the downloads page, of course.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2013, 11:47:19 am »

Ok, so here's the bug i just had : I went to the tavern, Olaf introduced himself... and nothing happened, i couldn't do anything, the game stopped responding (i couldn't even type).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit : looks like it's not all the time, right now i went to the tavern and Olaf gave me his quest without issues.

Edit 2 : ...except that when i turned off his offer, there was a crash :

Edit 3 : Now after i left the starting city, i travelled towards the north, and instead of having random encounters i was able to travel directly from (i'm guessing) tile to tile, without any interruption. I don't think this is intended. Oh and just now i was on my way to "green manor", and i got a message saying "You have stumbled across Green Manor on your way to Green Manor"

Edit 4 : ... and it crashed after i tried to buy a weapon (also, the place was called Green Manor when i travelled but then it was called "Wild Bridge" when shopping) :
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 12:10:14 pm by Sirian »

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2013, 04:39:00 pm »

Ok, so here's the bug i just had : I went to the tavern, Olaf introduced himself... and nothing happened, i couldn't do anything, the game stopped responding (i couldn't even type).

Next time this happens, could you please Ctrl-C the program and give me the screenshot? It'll give you a rough traceback.

Edit 3 : Now after i left the starting city, i travelled towards the north, and instead of having random encounters i was able to travel directly from (i'm guessing) tile to tile, without any interruption. I don't think this is intended. Oh and just now i was on my way to "green manor", and i got a message saying "You have stumbled across Green Manor on your way to Green Manor"
This is quite bizarre. If you can reproduce it reliably, let me know, because I have no idea how you did this. Regardless, I fixed as many bugs as I could figure out relating to it, as well as the appraisal and quest rejection ones. Hotfix released! Please redownload the game.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2013, 05:45:48 pm »

I had that same problem with Olaf, I couldn't type or anything.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2013, 05:57:14 pm »

Next time this happens, could you please Ctrl-C the program and give me the screenshot? It'll give you a rough traceback.

I don't really understand what is supposed to happen when i "ctrl-c the program". The screenshots i provide are from pressing the "print screen" key and then pasting in ms paint and cropping the resulting picture. When i press ctrl-c while playing, nothing seems to happen. Except if i press it twice, then it crashes and gives me a couple lines. Dunno if that's what you meant.

This is quite bizarre. If you can reproduce it reliably, let me know, because I have no idea how you did this. Regardless, I fixed as many bugs as I could figure out relating to it, as well as the appraisal and quest rejection ones. Hotfix released! Please redownload the game.

I tried again twice (after re-downloading) and it's still the same (travel without random encounters) ; here's a screen.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2013, 06:08:48 pm »

I don't really understand what is supposed to happen when i "ctrl-c the program". The screenshots i provide are from pressing the "print screen" key and then pasting in ms paint and cropping the resulting picture. When i press ctrl-c while playing, nothing seems to happen. Except if i press it twice, then it crashes and gives me a couple lines. Dunno if that's what you meant.
Yes, you're interrupting the program, that's what I meant. If it freezes, interrupt it and give the error.

I tried again twice (after re-downloading) and it's still the same (travel without random encounters) ; here's a screen.

Oh, wow, it never checks to give you an encounter. Somehow I never came across this in my playtesting. Fixed; redownload it.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2013, 01:40:31 pm »

New Challenge!
If you defeat a dragon (you must be at least level 10 to do this) and post proof, I will include a specific reference to your username (or whatever name you want to be credited as) in one of the things on my to-do list.

Challenge Accepted

It was the tale of Orb, the adventurer. He was a poor man, with nothing to his name but his fists. But he used his fists well. He punched every thief and rat in his home town, and eventually was thrown out for breaking too many things with his fists.

So he punched things in the wilderness. He punched crows, thiefs, ogres, beasts that were half man half something else, and many other creatures.

Then he punched a dragon to death.

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2013, 03:57:45 pm »

Yes, it does seem I need to scale up the late game to match the player with the new skills. I'll send you a PM with your rewards.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2013, 05:11:28 pm »

I gave it a try and defeated a dragon as well. Here's how i managed to get strong without dying being brutally murdered because of the level scaling : I got into fights with anything stronger than me, got hit until i was half-HP (for hardiness XP), then ran. I also almost exclusively killed things that drop money, and bought the best polearm i could find. I then leveled up the polearm skill the same way, and as it got harder and harder to find things i couldnt kill in one hit, I allowed myself to gain levels. I eventually crossed paths with a yellow dragon, and killed him in 2 hits.

I haven't tried crafting yet in the new version -mostly because it's much harder now to find a cave on purpose, thanks to the new map system- but if it's the same as in the previous version, there's a balance problem right there. In v2.8 I wasn't able to get better metals than bronze before the level scaling started throwing lvl 15 creatures at my lvl 8 miner. Sure enough, i was able to run away most of the time, but eventually over hundreds of encounters, i died. Because it took a VERY long time to get enough metal to level up mining, smelting, and smithing. On the other hand, shopping in a few towns gave me excellent steel weapons quite easily. Not to mention the skills you have to sacrifice to get mining+smelting+smithing. Maybe Smelting and Smithing could be a single skill instead of 2 ?

Anyways, no bug so far with the new version, but as i said earlier, moving around is really hard now. Even if maps seem common in shops, I never had the proper map for the place i was in. I've been running around blindly for 10 levels, basically.

Edit : it could help if we were able to map our own travels so as to be able to get back to places we already visited.

Edit 2 : here's another dragon that i one-hit killed :

Edit 3 : well looks like i lost my spear guy to a bug : i was in the selling screen, but didnt want to sell anything so i typed "0" when asked for a number, and it crashed.

(by the way, is "proficient" better than "fine" ?)

Edit 4 : Another request : could there be a way to smelt a batch instead of only one at a time ? Something like :

Are you sure you want to smelt tin ?
>Y
How many bars do you want ?
>5
smelting failed
smelting success
smelting success
smelting failed
smelting failed

and then go back to the town menu. Kind of how we can choose all of our skills in one go now.

Oh, and while i'm at it : i noticed that some foes have weapons, yet we don't seem to be able to loot them. Why not ?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 08:40:54 pm by Sirian »

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2013, 12:45:09 am »

I gave it a try and defeated a dragon as well. Here's how i managed to get strong without dying being brutally murdered because of the level scaling : I got into fights with anything stronger than me, got hit until i was half-HP (for hardiness XP), then ran. I also almost exclusively killed things that drop money, and bought the best polearm i could find. I then leveled up the polearm skill the same way, and as it got harder and harder to find things i couldnt kill in one hit, I allowed myself to gain levels. I eventually crossed paths with a yellow dragon, and killed him in 2 hits.

Well done. You should have received your PM.

I haven't tried crafting yet in the new version -mostly because it's much harder now to find a cave on purpose, thanks to the new map system- but if it's the same as in the previous version, there's a balance problem right there. In v2.8 I wasn't able to get better metals than bronze before the level scaling started throwing lvl 15 creatures at my lvl 8 miner. Sure enough, i was able to run away most of the time, but eventually over hundreds of encounters, i died. Because it took a VERY long time to get enough metal to level up mining, smelting, and smithing. On the other hand, shopping in a few towns gave me excellent steel weapons quite easily. Not to mention the skills you have to sacrifice to get mining+smelting+smithing. Maybe Smelting and Smithing could be a single skill instead of 2 ?
I'll think about it. The benefit of crafting skills is supposed to be being able to make things that far surpass what you can find in stores; better quality, better materials, better effects. I'm actually considering slowing down XP gain so that it's more worthwhile to invest in them, as you'll have more time between levels to work on them.

Anyways, no bug so far with the new version, but as i said earlier, moving around is really hard now. Even if maps seem common in shops, I never had the proper map for the place i was in. I've been running around blindly for 10 levels, basically.

Edit : it could help if we were able to map our own travels so as to be able to get back to places we already visited.
I considered this. Maybe for future versions. In the next one I may try and shift the dice so you're more likely to get maps, and you can travel to areas you have maps of in the landmark screen.

Edit 2 : here's another dragon that i one-hit killed :

Edit 3 : well looks like i lost my spear guy to a bug : i was in the selling screen, but didnt want to sell anything so i typed "0" when asked for a number, and it crashed.
I'll look into it. I'm definitely going to fix enemy scaling. In the future, just hit enter.

(by the way, is "proficient" better than "fine" ?)
Yep.

Edit 4 : Another request : could there be a way to smelt a batch instead of only one at a time ? Something like :

Are you sure you want to smelt tin ?
>Y
How many bars do you want ?
>5
smelting failed
smelting success
smelting success
smelting failed
smelting failed

and then go back to the town menu. Kind of how we can choose all of our skills in one go now.
I'll add it.

Oh, and while i'm at it : i noticed that some foes have weapons, yet we don't seem to be able to loot them. Why not ?
Balance.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2013, 11:13:04 am »

Here's a new crash : I was trying to sell some abysmal tin naginata that i made and the game crashed on me. I just had the mercantilism skill, in case that's relevant. Usually, in v2.8, when the value was too low to sell, the game would tell me that my stuff was worthless, so i don't know what happened this time.

screenshot:

Just in case you're wondering how i got so many tin bars, it was thanks to keyboard macros that i made, one for mining and one for smelting (G15 keyboard). I still haven't been able to make anything worthwhile with crafting though. I almost managed to get to the crafting part with my previous high level guy but he was one-shotted for 160+ damage by some crazy queen monster with a high-level weapon. Despite having good heavy armor + skills, lvl 5 hardiness, etc...

I'll be thinking about my dragon-slaying reward but first i want to know the game more extensively and maybe wait for a more advanced version.

Edit : now that i'm thinking about it, there was another issue that i noticed : when i first left the starting city with my last character, i went straight north and eventually found another city, but the guards wouldn't let me in, and the naming was wrong (it was the name of the starting city, green something). Then i used the "travel to a landmark" option and the proper name for the city was displayed (dragon something) and not greyed out. I used it as a destination but the guards still wouldn't let me in. So i had to travel all the way south to the starting city (this time i used "travel to landmark" as i got approximately in range and it worked).

A few things i'd like to add on the subject : i'm ok with the new map system but :
- It's really annoying to be unable to go back to a city without first visiting another one (especially if you weren't kicked out, it makes no sense).
- The range for "landmarks" is really too small, in my opinion.
- It would be very helpful if, say, all capital cities had the map for their country in store, and we started in a capital city.

Right now 3 out of 4 of my characters never find a proper useful map and end up going back and forth between 2-3 cities they find randomly when going straight in one direction and checking for landmarks every so often (if they are lucky enough to actually find a city this way).
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 11:34:42 am by Sirian »

TomatoWalrus

• Bay Watcher
  • I am one of the tomatos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2013, 11:33:42 am »

Dang Squeegy. I gotta give you some serious credit for getting these updates and fixes out so quickly.

Question though:

How are you doing the map display and separating the different parts of the UI?

In everything I've done so far using anything resembling a map, it's been with a system of displaying different parts of an array, but that has its own problems.
It may just be that I haven't learned enough about C++ or that Ruby has a different system for doing these things. Also, I understand if you might be reluctant to tell me the details of your source code, so you can keep it pretty general if you'd like. (Or not answer me at all, it's your thread and game).
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2013, 01:41:48 pm »

Here's a screenshot of that olaf bug thing (i used ctrl-c this time) :

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 12, 2013, 02:25:01 pm »

Here's a new crash : I was trying to sell some abysmal tin naginata that i made and the game crashed on me. I just had the mercantilism skill, in case that's relevant. Usually, in v2.8, when the value was too low to sell, the game would tell me that my stuff was worthless, so i don't know what happened this time.

screenshot:
I'll take a look at the code. Maybe I messed up the Mercantilism check.

Just in case you're wondering how i got so many tin bars, it was thanks to keyboard macros that i made, one for mining and one for smelting (G15 keyboard). I still haven't been able to make anything worthwhile with crafting though. I almost managed to get to the crafting part with my previous high level guy but he was one-shotted for 160+ damage by some crazy queen monster with a high-level weapon. Despite having good heavy armor + skills, lvl 5 hardiness, etc...
Hardiness doesn't actually directly help you in combat, but yeah, weapons are brutal.

I'll be thinking about my dragon-slaying reward but first i want to know the game more extensively and maybe wait for a more advanced version.

Edit : now that i'm thinking about it, there was another issue that i noticed : when i first left the starting city with my last character, i went straight north and eventually found another city, but the guards wouldn't let me in, and the naming was wrong (it was the name of the starting city, green something). Then i used the "travel to a landmark" option and the proper name for the city was displayed (dragon something) and not greyed out. I used it as a destination but the guards still wouldn't let me in. So i had to travel all the way south to the starting city (this time i used "travel to landmark" as i got approximately in range and it worked).
I'll take a look, sounds like a bug.

A few things i'd like to add on the subject : i'm ok with the new map system but :
- It's really annoying to be unable to go back to a city without first visiting another one (especially if you weren't kicked out, it makes no sense).
Yeah, I'll make the guard thing make more sense.

- The range for "landmarks" is really too small, in my opinion.
- It would be very helpful if, say, all capital cities had the map for their country in store, and we started in a capital city.
I don't know about starting in a capital city, but I'll definitely consider the other two.

Right now 3 out of 4 of my characters never find a proper useful map and end up going back and forth between 2-3 cities they find randomly when going straight in one direction and checking for landmarks every so often (if they are lucky enough to actually find a city this way).
When I revamp the towns I will probably add ways for you to get clues to the whereabouts of nearby towns and landmarks.

Dang Squeegy. I gotta give you some serious credit for getting these updates and fixes out so quickly.

Question though:

How are you doing the map display and separating the different parts of the UI?
The game is all contained in a class and runs various different methods depending on what you do in the main prompt (which has a few different versions depending on conditions). The map is generated as an array and everything has coordinates corresponding to it. Most things in the game use Structs to manage them, though. Items, cities, etc. I use a lot of arrays to hold things like the different types of metals, quality modifiers,  all the cities and countries, etc.

In everything I've done so far using anything resembling a map, it's been with a system of displaying different parts of an array, but that has its own problems.
Like? It might be worth mentioning I use Marshall dumping to make copies of the map.

It may just be that I haven't learned enough about C++ or that Ruby has a different system for doing these things. Also, I understand if you might be reluctant to tell me the details of your source code, so you can keep it pretty general if you'd like. (Or not answer me at all, it's your thread and game).
Now why would I do that?

Here's a screenshot of that olaf bug thing (i used ctrl-c this time) :

Thanks! I'll take a look.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

TomatoWalrus

• Bay Watcher
  • I am one of the tomatos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 12, 2013, 02:35:44 pm »

Oh wow. I never thought of just setting the whole thing up as a class. Anything I do tends to be pretty piecemeal cause I try to make everything modular so I can add and remove things without bringing the whole thing to a halt. It rarely works out that way though.
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8