Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Ruby RPG v3.0: LOOK UPON MY BUGS, YE MIGHTY, AND DESPAIR  (Read 14772 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Ruby RPG v2.8: Oh snap, son! Crafting, skills, and so much more!
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2013, 06:10:56 pm »

I cleaned up a fight from July, and it looks like it is still going on in the new posts from February.  If the OP can't keep things cool, they don't get to have a thread.  I'm leaving this unlocked for now, but it has to change.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2013, 06:29:08 pm »

Thanks for cleaning the first page up. It ought to help the atmosphere to not have all that pointless jousting right below the OP.

To summarize the new map system: it's going to be split up into countries, which will own map tiles. Cities will be able to change hands this way. It will also mean things won't really be perfectly square. In the future, it will be able to support rulers and, presumably, war.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2013, 07:13:35 pm »

I just tried this, it's ok but very grindy. I think that i crashed twice when selling my last trifleweed though. Selling could use an improvement to be able to sell a whole batch in one go, by the way (i used a macro to go around that).

Getting started can be pretty hard depending on luck : sometimes you just encounter guys with like 5 lvls more and you can't run so you can easily die just like that. Also the HP you gain every level seems semi-random. Finding a map can be easy or really hard depending on luck too. And as long as you don't have a map you can't really plan trips and know what biome you will find (mountain and plains seem preferable to get some cash from low level bandits and orcs early on).

Between the crashes and the deaths i haven't been able to go very far yet, but if I was able to save the game, I would probably give it another try someday. Right now the grind is so intense that being unable to save the game is a deal-breaker for me. (I don't mean saving/loading for when i die, only for when the game crashes or when i want to shut down the computer).

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2013, 10:19:30 pm »

I just tried this, it's ok but very grindy. I think that i crashed twice when selling my last trifleweed though.
Screencaps for repros pls.

Selling could use an improvement to be able to sell a whole batch in one go, by the way (i used a macro to go around that).
I'll put it on the to-do list!

Getting started can be pretty hard depending on luck : sometimes you just encounter guys with like 5 lvls more and you can't run so you can easily die just like that.
I've never actually encountered this phenomenon. I've always been able to run away from even quite high level things pretty reasonably.

Also the HP you gain every level seems semi-random. Finding a map can be easy or really hard depending on luck too. And as long as you don't have a map you can't really plan trips and know what biome you will find (mountain and plains seem preferable to get some cash from low level bandits and orcs early on).
Intentional. Grab Hardiness for an HP bonus. If you could just make a bee-line for the mountains/plains it wouldn't be much of a challenge (also you'd be some kind of weird psychic).

Between the crashes and the deaths i haven't been able to go very far yet, but if I was able to save the game, I would probably give it another try someday. Right now the grind is so intense that being unable to save the game is a deal-breaker for me. (I don't mean saving/loading for when i die, only for when the game crashes or when i want to shut down the computer).
I'm planning on adding autosaves to future versions. Please screencap your crashes and run the game from the command line because I really cannot do anything with 'trifleweed sale crash.' It would be much easier to trace the bug with an error log.

Note: I've released another and hopefully final hotfix for 2.8. I tested it personally and Skinning definitely works. Please redownload. Back to work!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 10:33:56 pm by Squeegy »
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2013, 12:37:27 am »

I'm done for the day, but as a teaser, here's the kind of worldmap you'll be playing around with next version:

Yeah, the travel system is gonna need some overhauls.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2013, 01:29:46 am »

I wish I could get back to some of my projects, but between a metric ton of Cal III homework, getting things prepared to transfer schools, and family issues, I just don't have the time.

One day though.

I actually miss Calc III, weirdly enough. It got just deep enough into the physics to make things seem meaningful, but not so deep that it becomes... you know, physics.
[/offtopic]

This is pretty nifty. I've always enjoyed these text based RPGs, and this one is well done. Though somehow I think that starting with knitting as a skill was silly of me. :P

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2013, 01:33:13 am »

Not particularly, so long as you also take Gathering and Weaving.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2013, 02:30:23 am »

Why is there "coastline" in the middle of the world map? ??? I may be misunderstanding but I don't think that's how it works. :P

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2013, 02:57:35 am »

Ok so i tried to replicate the selling crash while in command prompt but it didn't happen this time, however there was a new bug (i re-downloaded the game before playing to make sure i had the last version, since you said there was a hotfix). Basically the bug doubles my trifleweed and bloody screetleaf each time i sell some of it (it should be noted that the amounts for both were identical when the bug started).

It went 20 -> 39 -> 77 -> 153 with each subsequent selling.

Here's a screenshot :
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I still have the game running on this session so i'll experiment a bit more with this bug i guess (see if it happens when i sell something like silk).

Edit : yup, i just sold silk and it went up some more (20 -> 39 -> 77 -> 153 -> 305 -> 609 -> 1217 -> 2433 -> 4865 -> 9729 -> 19458)

Edit 2 : After that i tried to fix the bug by trashing some of the trifleweed / bloody screetleaf but when i did, it trashed silk instead. And even without selling, every time it had to display my inventory, the number approximately doubled, and it started taking more and more time to display.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 03:14:35 am by Sirian »

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2013, 03:19:04 am »

Yes, there does appear to be a duping bug; I got the same from a friend of mine, and he ended up hanging on the inventory screen. I'll look into fixing it; i'm not sure what's causing it but I can do some debugging. If you'd like to help, some reliable steps to reproduce it would be fantastic, so I know how to set it up for testing.

As for the coastlines, my take on it was always that it's the coastline of lake formations.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2013, 03:28:04 am »

Oh, I see. I'm pretty sure the word coastline is only used for seashores, though, could just be my horrible vocabulary.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2013, 03:31:45 am »

If you'd like to help, some reliable steps to reproduce it would be fantastic, so I know how to set it up for testing.

Ok i'll try to do that. In the meantime, i managed to reproduce the crash. It's possibly related to having no item to sell in the selling screen, though i'm not sure since i really think that the last time it happened i had at least one item. Here's the screen anyway :

Edit : I just tried again (selling with no item right after character creation) and i had the same crash.

Edit 2 : I played some more and had another issue : the game just stopped responding after i tried buying some armor (it's the first time it happened). I could still type commands but nothing happened.
here's a screen :

Also i noticed earlier when i was trashing some abysmal tin katanas that i made : sometimes the game trashes other items. Like, it trashed the one i kept for myself (passable tin katana) instead of an abysmal one, and later it trashed a tin ingot instead of a katana (i made sure in the log, it wasn't my mistake).
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 08:37:51 am by Sirian »

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2013, 10:40:09 am »

That is unfortunate. I know what's causing the first crash now (Thank you!). If you can reproduce the second one, hit Ctrl-C and give me the traceback for it. I'll try to fix all three tonight.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2013, 08:17:16 pm »

Ok, I'm pretty sure I nixed these bugs:
  • Crash upon not having any items to sell.
  • Inventory item duplication. I believe this stemmed from miscounting the number of items by having two different items that were too similar to each other. I'm pretty sure it should work now, because it just compares the two items directly.
I haven't fixed any armor hang, but maybe it won't come up again.

Time to work on the new version!
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2013, 06:08:19 pm »

New version should be out soon. Encompasses some streamlining to the UI, bugfixes not relevant enough to be released in a hotfix, and the cool new map updates. Coordinates aren't in play anymore but you still have freedom to move around the map. Maps are also a lot more important and while they will display your position on them, be warned they are entirely static and when it's programmed for territory to start changing hands they will not magically update accordingly. All the map generation is based off one source so it should be easy to implement a setting for map size (since at 75x75 it takes a little bit) but I'll save that for when I implement the settings menu. Looking forward to the later changes to map gen this will lead into. Next update will probably focus on expanding on cities/NPCs.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8