Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Ruby RPG v3.0: LOOK UPON MY BUGS, YE MIGHTY, AND DESPAIR  (Read 14773 times)

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
Re: Ruby RPG v2.8: Oh snap, son! Crafting, skills, and so much more!
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2013, 06:07:29 pm »

He's saying that he's a busy man, so if you think he's making the wrong decision somewhere it's clearly your obligation to either ignore it or do the work of coming up with a solution - simply pointing out something isn't helpful, after all, because he's certainly not going to come up with a solution.
Now who's being a dick?

It's me. ^_^ I avoid being a dick in my own game threads specifically to avoid alienating my fanbase, but that doesn't mean I need to avoid being a dick when I'm out and about in the wild! Freeeedoooooom!

I look forward to playing the game when I get access to my non-mac and seeing how it is, and perhaps trading future passive-aggressive-suggestion-conversations. I will make sure to couch all helpful criticism in carefully constructed insults. It will be a fun and enjoyable meta-game.

Looking forward to it. If I might make a suggestion, though, the "deliberately misinterpret his response" thing has been done before, so you may want to come up with some new material. Perhaps backhanded compliments? "This crafting system is pretty nice... for a text game."
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2013, 06:18:35 pm »

Like I said, I basically took a free template and spruced it up a bit. I'll make the suggested changes and we'll see how it looks. As for the thread, I find that irrelevant. If you think the game is not worth your time, as the unfortunate first post in the thread seemed to, then why are you here? There is no point except to shit on everyone in the thread, so my suggestion is always going to be that you leave. People seem to have difficulty separating what I mean from "I like it but this seems lackluster and could be improved (optimally: and here is how)" and "fuck you you lazy piece of shit why are you wasting everybody's time with this shitty game." (obviously, an exaggeration.)
OK, I'll put it plainly:

An attitude like yours doesn't win you any favours. What you want to do is address concerns that people have (Including your attitude, at present), and ignore people who are just outright trying to shit on you. It's very rare for someone who is successful to have a habit of insult people etc. (excluding the infamous people). If you aren't going for that sort of thing, then by all means, go ahead. If you want to be successful, you've got to have a good PR. Several ways of doing this include being nice, delivering updates frequently, and not pulling a terraria (I'm gonna add this, this and this but now I'm gonna go, K? BYE!).

You're probably nice enough in meatspace, but... well... it could just be the tubes not being very good at conducting tones, leading to misunderstandings or something.

Incidentally, I'm not trying to 'shit on everyone in the thread', I'm just saying that it seems you could act... nicer.
I never said you were, my friend. It seems to me this whole argument is primarily over the comments made a year ago. Those were threadshitting. However, you make a good point in ignoring people who are just insulting. I promise I will try to do that instead. Mostly I am carrying on this particular tiff because I feel there are misunderstandings that are leading to people interpreting me incorrectly. Those seem to be cleared up, so I will stop and start working on the game instead.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2013, 07:24:10 pm »

Ok, I released a hotfix to address the following problems I have found:
  • Crushing herbs can give zero experience.
  • Resource-gathering skills are way too slow to level.
  • Skinning didn't work.
  • Darksteel items often turned up in the market.

It's the same link; just redownload version 2.8. I'll get to work on the next version now.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2013, 07:32:20 pm »

Q. Why can't I save my game and come back to it?
A. It would open up cheating and save scumming, which I don't want, especially while I'm holding contests seeing how far you can get. I've thought of various roundabout methods for trying to prevent it but I don't feel like implementing them at present. Maybe once it's more of a real game.

Took me 25 sec to fire up cheat engine and cheat the frack up of it. Please provide another reason for the save or just say you dont have to ability to create saving yet. Dont say its to prevent cheating without mecanics in the game that prevent direct cheating. Aside from that i like the mecanics and the overall direction the game is going. But preventing saving because of savescuming or whatever, big no no to me.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2013, 07:34:37 pm »

Also consider wording of your responses. For example

Play it if you want, or don't, and get out of my thread.

Will come out as quite aggressive and will not win you any positive publicity (it does not matter if the other person is being a dick or not, you (as the developer) are in a special position to remain positive at all times). You could word it something like:

I understand your complaints, but there is more to the game than that screenshot shows. Try giving it a go and tell me what you think.

The person is much more likely to either play the game and come up with constructive and useful criticism, or just leave PLUS you come off as a nice guy. Than in the future people will be like "Hey, how's that Squeegy guy. Nice guy right? I would buy one of his games any day.". Remember, it doesn't matter who's fault it is, who started the argument or how silly the argument is, you want to come off as the nice guy regardless.

Anyway, looking forward to the nerfing of the RNG.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2013, 07:39:04 pm »

Also consider wording of your responses. For example

Play it if you want, or don't, and get out of my thread.

Will come out as quite aggressive and will not win you any positive publicity (it does not matter if the other person is being a dick or not, you (as the developer) are in a special position to remain positive at all times). You could word it something like:

I understand your complaints, but there is more to the game than that screenshot shows. Try giving it a go and tell me what you think.

The person is much more likely to either play the game and come up with constructive and useful criticism, or just leave PLUS you come off as a nice guy. Than in the future people will be like "Hey, how's that Squeegy guy. Nice guy right? I would buy one of his games any day.". Remember, it doesn't matter who's fault it is, who started the argument or how silly the argument is, you want to come off as the nice guy regardless.

Anyway, looking forward to the nerfing of the RNG.

Also consider, again, that that was in fact nearly one year ago!
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2013, 07:52:53 pm »

It was an example. Nothing more.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2013, 08:51:50 pm »

Okay, I've made changes to the web page:
  • I did not change the background color, because it's an image and not a color, and I wouldn't know what to change it to.
  • I changed the link colors to be bright red.
  • I changed the text color on the menu, and made it highlight whichever page you are on.
  • I put the download link right before the version number, clearly labeled it as '(Download)', and combined the latest version and its version #, with a download link called 'Windows'. I don't think anybody is gonna be messing around in the old versions without realizing it's all executables, so that should be fine!
  • The social media buttons were, ironically, disabled, so it was fitting they were grayed out, but I went ahead and commented them out since they're unnecessary; the game isn't really big enough to have social media attached.
  • Moved the RSS button from the bottom of the downloads page to the footnote with the copyright notice.
  • I didn't touch what you called the menu expansion thing because it isn't actually that and I'm pretty sure that's not actually possible in this CSS I found. If you think it's really that much of a problem I can take it out, I guess.

Let me know what you think: http://rubyrpg.x10.mx/
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 09:09:29 pm by Squeegy »
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

TomatoWalrus

• Bay Watcher
  • I am one of the tomatos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2013, 09:07:31 pm »

You forgot the R in RPG in the link.
It's currently directed towards a site that doesn't exist.

Just a heads up.

Ah, I see you fixed it.
I like the new look btw.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 09:20:02 pm by TomatoWalrus »
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

Bitoru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2013, 09:25:32 pm »

Oh man, sweet! I thought this was abandoned!

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2013, 09:40:16 pm »

You forgot the R in RPG in the link.
It's currently directed towards a site that doesn't exist.

Just a heads up.

Ah, I see you fixed it.
I like the new look btw.
I'm glad! I like it too.

Oh man, sweet! I thought this was abandoned!
I know!! I decided it needed an update and pushed through some massive coding sessions in hopes of generating more interest.

Update on the RNG front: It's no longer a 1-maximumDamage formula. It's now rolled more standardly, as if it were rolling an amount of dice (your level) with a number of sides equal to 4 plus your weapon's damage. I don't think this has a significant effect on early-game combat, although it seems to make fighting level 2's slightly more lethal. Bottom line, it won't have nearly as much range between your attacks, but still a decent bit.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2013, 09:40:18 pm »

keep those updates comin

christonian

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's Play Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2013, 10:00:47 pm »

its fun great job

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2013, 11:19:08 pm »

Things are about to get a whole lot... mappier.

Spoiler: Sneak Peek (click to show/hide)

That's right, I expanded the world map to be made of a 3x3 block of areas. That can be increased later, too. I'm going to implement traveling between areas, as well as capital cities, and try and make the overall world map more coherent (areas actually continuing into each other rather than being randomly generated individually). Then, I think, I am probably done.

By the way, don't forget about the dragonslaying challenge! Kill yourself a dragon and get some rewards.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2013, 11:24:23 pm »

scalable map is a good idea, fast travel always a good idea ie similiar to DF saves some time if u wish to rapid move

Capital cities, any chance of areas of interest.  As an addition good job anyway
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8