Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Ruby RPG v3.0: LOOK UPON MY BUGS, YE MIGHTY, AND DESPAIR  (Read 14760 times)

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
Re: Ruby Rpg v2.8: Oh snap, son! Crafting, skills, and so much more!
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 11:24:46 am »

I found a bug. I tried to buy a abysmal copper machete for 10 gold, but I accidentally chose to appraise it for the extra 10 gold(I only had 12 gold at the time) and it told me I didn't have enough to buy it. Then I suddenly had only 2 gold, which is annoying with how lethal this game is.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2013, 01:08:34 pm »

Why don't you just release the Ruby instead of only packing it into a Windows executable? Then everyone could play it, Mac or not. Okay, maybe not everyone. But me! I could!
A) I run challenges and if I release the source code (and Ruby is not actually natively compilable), people could cheat very, very easily.
B) People could cheat very, very easily in general.
C) I would much prefer to keep control over it. There are unscrupulous people out there and as nice as it would be to let anyone take a look at it and learn from it, I'd rather not have it stolen. And that's a one way thing; of I release the source code, I cannot ever un-release it. You can criticize me for that if you want, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Also, your website is hard to navigate. I shouldn't have to click three download links, the last of which is invisible, only to discover there's only one format and it won't work with my system.
There are not three download links. There's one. There's a link to the downloads page, which has links to all the download versions, and then the latest download page automatically redirects to the latest version. There is also a manual link, which is not invisible. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with it.

I found a bug. I tried to buy a abysmal copper machete for 10 gold, but I accidentally chose to appraise it for the extra 10 gold(I only had 12 gold at the time) and it told me I didn't have enough to buy it. Then I suddenly had only 2 gold, which is annoying with how lethal this game is.
No bug there, you spent the coins on an appraisal. Be more careful next time.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2013, 01:16:16 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Looks... extremely primitive. Like something a lazy programmer could write in two-three hours on a weekend. And no, I'm not hating on the text RPGs as a whole.
That's what Toady One started from.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2013, 01:16:52 pm »

Looking good so far. Posting to watch.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2013, 01:51:48 pm »

There is also a manual link, which is not invisible.
Take it from a professional - Your site has problems. First: You are using link colors with almost no contrast from your background. This makes them effectively invisible on many monitors. You have a download button on the left side with no indication that I am already on the "download" page, especially since it looks like a version details page and dev log and doesn't have any obvious download links. Three clicks was "link from forum post" (which I expected to be a file download), "clicking download" because clicking "download" is the obvious next step when directed to a page that supposedly has the download a person is seeking, and finally, clicking "here" after trying to figure out what I was missing for far too long. In addition, your social buttons have, in standard web language, the "disabled" appearance, as do your left menus. You have a menu expansion symbol pop up, but no expanded menu. You link on the word "here" instead of describing what you're downloading AS the link, making it harder to notice than it needs to be even if it were actually visible and there are reasons web standards advise against this behaviour.

My advice:
Fix your contrast issues. Either change the background color (recommended) to something that doesn't suppress your links, or change your link colors. Stop greying out all your buttons - give them some color or something to let people know they are both buttons and active.

Fix your menu. Identify the page your on to clarify the left menu is a menu and reinforce that you are already in the right place to download. Get rid of the menu expansion tabs since you have no sub-menus.

Link properly. Put it on it's own line. Make it clear what it is. No one is going to be looking for a download link called "here". Call it the link "Ruby Rpg v2.8 Windows Executable". Be clear and descriptive, and make it visible. Consider putting the most recent version link right at the top of the page, perhaps as a clear button with a windows symbol and called "Download", since that will be the word most people are scanning for.

Fix your attitude. I like Ruby, I like text adventure games, and I want to like you, but you are coming across as a bit of a dick. It would suck to turn people off to your game simply because they don't like YOU, right?

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2013, 02:09:37 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Looks... extremely primitive. Like something a lazy programmer could write in two-three hours on a weekend. And no, I'm not hating on the text RPGs as a whole.
That's what Toady One started from.
Even more amusingly, I spent 30+ hours on the last update alone.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2013, 02:50:09 pm »

There is also a manual link, which is not invisible.
Take it from a professional - Your site has problems. First: You are using link colors with almost no contrast from your background. This makes them effectively invisible on many monitors. You have a download button on the left side with no indication that I am already on the "download" page, especially since it looks like a version details page and dev log and doesn't have any obvious download links. Three clicks was "link from forum post" (which I expected to be a file download), "clicking download" because clicking "download" is the obvious next step when directed to a page that supposedly has the download a person is seeking, and finally, clicking "here" after trying to figure out what I was missing for far too long. In addition, your social buttons have, in standard web language, the "disabled" appearance, as do your left menus. You have a menu expansion symbol pop up, but no expanded menu. You link on the word "here" instead of describing what you're downloading AS the link, making it harder to notice than it needs to be even if it were actually visible and there are reasons web standards advise against this behaviour.

My advice:
Fix your contrast issues. Either change the background color (recommended) to something that doesn't suppress your links, or change your link colors. Stop greying out all your buttons - give them some color or something to let people know they are both buttons and active.

Fix your menu. Identify the page your on to clarify the left menu is a menu and reinforce that you are already in the right place to download. Get rid of the menu expansion tabs since you have no sub-menus.

Link properly. Put it on it's own line. Make it clear what it is. No one is going to be looking for a download link called "here". Call it the link "Ruby Rpg v2.8 Windows Executable". Be clear and descriptive, and make it visible. Consider putting the most recent version link right at the top of the page, perhaps as a clear button with a windows symbol and called "Download", since that will be the word most people are scanning for.
Thank you for your advice. I will take it and do my best to fix the problems you have pointed out. Website scripting has never been my strong suit, so I was simply trying to make something functional from free templates, but since you offered constructive criticism I will do my best to address it.

Fix your attitude. I like Ruby, I like text adventure games, and I want to like you, but you are coming across as a bit of a dick. It would suck to turn people off to your game simply because they don't like YOU, right?
That is what I was going to say, until I read this. With all due respect, and not to sound like more of a dick, but that is not my problem. I make an effort to be courteous and friendly to everyone who posts for that exact reason, but it is not my problem if someone else comes in here and decides to be a dick, and I am not just going to take that. That's not attitude, that's personality. If you think I'm wasting my time, for example, then get out, because you obviously don't want to be here. I've made it very clear in the OP that posts to the tune of "why are/aren't you doing <x>, there's no reason" are not welcome. I will take constructive criticism, comments, and suggestions gratefully.

In short, I'm interested in being told how to improve, not being told I'm doing things wrong.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 03:29:49 pm by Squeegy »
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ruby RPG v2.8: Oh snap, son! Crafting, skills, and so much more!
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2013, 04:44:36 pm »

No offense, but if you're needing to improve, doesn't that imply that you've done something wrong?
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2013, 04:51:19 pm »

No offense, but if you're needing to improve, doesn't that imply that you've done something wrong?

Yeah, I think it does.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2013, 04:54:31 pm »

Yeah, I think it does.

You are missing the point. Of course it does. But saying so helps nothing, it's just rude (especially when it's entirely subjective, as with my game). So, I am looking for suggestions on how to improve, rather than simply assertions that I am doing something wrong.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2013, 04:57:21 pm »

He's saying that he's a busy man, so if you think he's making the wrong decision somewhere it's clearly your obligation to either ignore it or do the work of coming up with a solution - simply pointing out something isn't helpful, after all, because he's certainly not going to come up with a solution.

Even if you ignore the attitude advice, at least take my web design advice. I don't particularly care how this goes at this point, but the advice was still good.

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2013, 05:01:21 pm »

The game is rather shallow at the moment. By that I mean that the gameplay is basically press A then hope the RNG gods bless you. You might want to introduce a stat system that makes an impact, or something along those lines - pretty standard in modern games. Additionally the text of the game is sort of a pain to read since it's mostly white and crammed together, you could color code it a bit more, I think.

Other than that, it's decent enough. A good foundation.

NOTE: Getting on the wrong side of your demographic isn't a good idea - they're the ones you want to play the game. :P

TomatoWalrus

• Bay Watcher
  • I am one of the tomatos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2013, 05:20:20 pm »

Hate to be on this side of the argument, but I've got to agree: You are being a dick.
You say you want people to point out what can be improved, but when they do so in anything even resembling a negative tone, you berate them.

That is what I was going to say, until I read this.

See? You instantly throw out all his constructive criticism because he suggests improving your attitude, something that I'd also like to suggest.

They take place in a desert biome. Also, you're kinda being an asshole, so no, I'm not going to try and justify my work to you. Play it if you want, or don't, and get out of my thread. Thanks.

Again, valid complaints brought up. Was he being dickish? Slightly, but you aren't helping yourself by overreacting to criticism just because it's negative. Given that you probably started this thread to attract people to your game, being a dick is kinda counter-productive to it.

I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2013, 05:48:35 pm »

He's saying that he's a busy man, so if you think he's making the wrong decision somewhere it's clearly your obligation to either ignore it or do the work of coming up with a solution - simply pointing out something isn't helpful, after all, because he's certainly not going to come up with a solution.
Now who's being a dick?

Even if you ignore the attitude advice, at least take my web design advice. I don't particularly care how this goes at this point, but the advice was still good.
Of course I'm going to take it-- it's good advice and not hard to fix. Keep in mind that everything we're arguing over is literally almost a year old-- July of last year. I certainly haven't been rude to you at all, in my opinion, with the possible exception of my last post. And if you disagree, perhaps you should (Oh, maybe there's a moral here after all?) tell me why, rather than just asserting I am doing something wrong. Either way, thank you for your input so far.

The game is rather shallow at the moment. By that I mean that the gameplay is basically press A then hope the RNG gods bless you. You might want to introduce a stat system that makes an impact, or something along those lines - pretty standard in modern games. Additionally the text of the game is sort of a pain to read since it's mostly white and crammed together, you could color code it a bit more, I think.

Other than that, it's decent enough. A good foundation.
I can't really disagree. I've been avoiding a stat system intentionally, actually. I was gunning for a more Skyrim-esque skill model. If you haven't noticed, I'm not really aiming to do things "standard." In my opinion, that's boring, especially for an RNG game. As for color, I've been working on it steadily. If you have any specific places you'd like to see more of it is like to know them, but keep in mind I'm restricted to ANSI color currently. Also, I have specific plans to reduce the randomness of the combat and such; those are upcoming.

Quote from: Absolute Niro
NOTE: Getting on the wrong side of your demographic isn't a good idea - they're the ones you want to play the game. :P
Website could certainly do with an update (reminds me of the webpages).

I've previously mentioned your attitude, and it isn't YOUR thread, it's a thread on the bay12 forums-an open social website. Neither of these points will do much because:
A) I'm shit at web design. Or I think I probably am. I've never made a website
B) Others have mentioned the second point and it's not had an effect.

On the more positive side: It is causing people to have nostalgia trips, which tend to be good things, given how nostalgia tends to bring back good memories. From what I've heard the game relies too heavily on the RNG, but that'll (hopefully) improve with time.
Like I said, I basically took a free template and spruced it up a bit. I'll make the suggested changes and we'll see how it looks. As for the thread, I find that irrelevant. If you think the game is not worth your time, as the unfortunate first post in the thread seemed to, then why are you here? There is no point except to shit on everyone in the thread, so my suggestion is always going to be that you leave. People seem to have difficulty separating what I mean from "I like it but this seems lackluster and could be improved (optimally: and here is how)" and "fuck you you lazy piece of shit why are you wasting everybody's time with this shitty game." (obviously, an exaggeration.)

Hate to be on this side of the argument, but I've got to agree: You are being a dick.
You say you want people to point out what can be improved, but when they do so in anything even resembling a negative tone, you berate them.

That is what I was going to say, until I read this.

See? You instantly throw out all his constructive criticism because he suggests improving your attitude, something that I'd also like to suggest.

They take place in a desert biome. Also, you're kinda being an asshole, so no, I'm not going to try and justify my work to you. Play it if you want, or don't, and get out of my thread. Thanks.

Again, valid complaints brought up. Was he being dickish? Slightly, but you aren't helping yourself by overreacting to criticism just because it's negative. Given that you probably started this thread to attract people to your game, being a dick is kinda counter-productive to it.
You're a cool guy, but I don't really think you have the whole of the issue here, no disrespect. For one, I never simply dismissed his advice because he was being a jerk. I'm not a petulant brat. I said that I would have left it at that, but he had to bring in the unjustified (in my opinion) criticism. I'm still going to take his website advice because his personal advice does not devalue it in any way. I apologize if that was unclear, I could have worded it better.

As for the other guy, you're missing the fact that he did not actually play the game. His criticisms were solely based off of the outdated screenshot I provided. He did not play it, he did not want to play it, he was simply criticizing me to be a douche and I did not care for that. Also, I can't imagine what he wanted me to do about it, for real. The game already weeds out monsters that are too low level for you and hands them out based on biome. There's no area map yet. What did he want me to do about his perceived randomness, which was not based on actual game play?

Hopefully that clears things up.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2013, 05:59:53 pm »

Now who's being a dick?

It's me. ^_^ I avoid being a dick in my own game threads specifically to avoid alienating my fanbase, but that doesn't mean I need to avoid being a dick when I'm out and about in the wild! Freeeedoooooom!

I look forward to playing the game when I get access to my non-mac and seeing how it is, and perhaps trading future passive-aggressive-suggestion-conversations. I will make sure to couch all helpful criticism in carefully constructed insults. It will be a fun and enjoyable meta-game.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8