Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Ruby RPG v3.0: LOOK UPON MY BUGS, YE MIGHTY, AND DESPAIR  (Read 14738 times)

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
Ruby RPG v3.0: LOOK UPON MY BUGS, YE MIGHTY, AND DESPAIR
« on: July 11, 2012, 01:46:42 am »

Hello! This is the thread for the text based RPG that I develop myself. Give it a try!

Here's what's new in version 3.0:
  • The game will now automatically save your progress when you gain a level. You can load this from the menu.
  • The messages for generating a new map will now write over each other rather than displaying beneath each other.
  • The game will no longer close when you encounter a crashing bug; instead, it will display the error message for you to copy and kick you to the menu.
  • Being kicked out of towns is now based on a 'heat' system in that town that you generate by killing things in it, rather than just randomly.
  • Possibly other changes that weren't noteworthy.

Download the latest versions here! As always, post any bugs in this thread, with a screenshot if you're able (you can right-click to select text in the Command Prompt), as well as any suggestions for new content. I always welcome constructive criticism and suggestions.

MAC USERS: Please let me know if it's worth the effort to release an OSX executable! I don't know how many people want to play it that aren't on the right OS.

New Challenge!
If you defeat a dragon (you must be at least level 10 to do this) and post proof, I will include a specific reference to your username (or whatever name you want to be credited as) in one of the things on my to-do list.

FAQ:

Q. What is Ruby RPG?
A. Ruby RPG is a pet project of mine written in the Ruby programming language, wherein your character is dropped into a procedurally generated world and wanders the wilderness, moving between randomly generated cities on a randomly generated map filled with randomly generated biomes, fighting creatures that are not randomly generated, but randomly chosen. It is brutal and wants you to die, like most any game based so heavily on the RNG, but one lucky goon managed to get to level 10 in the first thread, so it's not impossible to succeed. Currently the game is rather lacking in depth, but that issue is being tackled bit by bit.

Q. How do I play this game?
A. It's a text game. You have to type in your command. As of version 1.6 you can now simply type in the letter(s) of the command that are parenthesized.

Q. My antivirus of choice says your file is dangerous!
A. It's not, take my word for it. Or don't. You don't have to play it. It's probably just a result of compilation using One-Click Ruby Application.

Q. What gender is my adventurer?
A. It's ambiguous. I thought it wasn't important. I might add it in the future.

Q. Why can't I save my game and come back to it?
A. It would open up cheating and save scumming, which I don't want, especially while I'm holding contests seeing how far you can get. I've thought of various roundabout methods for trying to prevent it but I don't feel like implementing them at present. Maybe once it's more of a real game.

Q. I killed a homeless guy and then an angry person beat me up!
A. Welcome to Ruby RPG!

Q. I think you should add/do <x> because <y>.
A. Your suggestions are noted and greatly appreciated! Look out for their implementation in new versions.

Q. Why don't you do <x>? There's no reason you shouldn't be doing <x>.
A. Go away.

Q. A text RPG?! I could do this in 1-3 hours!
A. Ha ha ha haaaa, no you couldn't.

To-do list for future versions:
  • Get Obsurveyor to send me all his dragonslayer stuff.
  • Implement skills!
  • Sort out the artifact quest bug(?)
  • Port the bestiary into a .txt file for easier expanding + moddability.
  • Tweak the RNG for fights so it is less completely random.
  • Implement dungeon crawling using the mapping system.
  • Some content for level 25+.
  • Flesh out NPCs, expand towns.
  • Camping in the wilderness.
  • Resource gathering + crafting.
  • Limited autosaving and loading.
  • Rune-based magic system.
  • Multiple areas full of cities to explore.
  • Extra feats you can get for having levels in skills.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 10:23:30 pm by Squeegy »
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
Re: Ruby RPG v2.0: A decent timewaster, if nothing else.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 04:33:28 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Looks... extremely primitive. Like something a lazy programmer could write in two-three hours on a weekend. And no, I'm not hating on the text RPGs as a whole.

Havent tried it yet, but maybe the thing is just as much a timewaster for the programmer as it is for the player? I remember making a roguelike on TI-84+, before my mom smashed it death in a rage over some mess i hadnt cleaned up.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 04:47:35 am »

I had fun. Guards loved throwing me out of towns, though. :( Luckily, I was able to cycle between 2 towns that were fairly close together.
Most of my characters died shortly after picking up equipment, finally. Loved the random stuff and towns, too.

Havent tried it yet, but maybe the thing is just as much a timewaster for the programmer as it is for the player? I remember making a roguelike on TI-84+, before my mom smashed it death in a rage over some mess i hadnt cleaned up.
I always hear a lot of stories about people who've made games on old calculators/gadgets before it was destroyed/lost. I wonder what's up with that...

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 02:06:30 pm »

I like it! It is a nice ode to the gaming days of my youth and shows some decent attention to design. Well done.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 03:08:27 pm »

A few more options in battle would be nice, whether they be of the magic/skills or different forms of strikes variety.  Not encountered any bugs after a quick 5-10 minute session.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 03:11:31 pm »

A few more options in battle would be nice, whether they be of the magic/skills or different forms of strikes variety.  Not encountered any bugs after a quick 5-10 minute session.

I do plan to add magic and such later on, probably before I add in special abilities for the monsters. I was thinking Skyrim-style learning spells from books you find or buy. You can also buy fireball and lightning scrolls that are one-use currently.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Bitoru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 03:12:36 pm »

Okay, so the game is pretty fun. I really like the traveling system. Would love to see this be filled with content like secret bossfights or some sort of skill system.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 03:15:59 pm »

Okay, so the game is pretty fun. I really like the traveling system. Would love to see this be filled with content like secret bossfights or some sort of skill system.

In the towns you can encounter quests, one of them is to defeat a monster lord a couple levels above the normal monster. Kinda like a boss fight.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 04:00:17 pm »

Ruby RPG v2.1 released! Download it here.

New this version:
Expanded the world map to 15x15. Debug coordinates are no longer in place. You can now buy maps at the general store (which currently stocks only maps) and use them to navigate. Fixed the monster lord quest. Fixed discontinuing a successor. You can now appraise some items before you buy them for 10 gold coins. Fixed return scroll coordinate glitch. Changed the enemy damage formula to be more forgiving in the early game. Quests now must be turned into Olaf in the town where he assigned it to you. Spruced up the travel prompt a bit. Resting has been temporarily removed; it is now automatic.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 07:41:17 pm by Squeegy »
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ruby Rpg v2.8: Oh snap, son! Crafting, skills, and so much more!
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 02:41:23 am »

Version 2.8 released! You can see relevant information in the OP.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 04:21:22 am »

It's worth it to release on mac! It is! It is! Please, for the love of god!
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 04:22:12 am »

"play it if you want, or don't, and get out of my thread"

Though more seriously isn't there a competent PC emulator for the Mac?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 04:33:14 am by Neonivek »

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 05:38:54 am »

MAC USERS: Please let me know if it's worth the effort to release an OSX executable! I don't know how many people want to play it that aren't on the right OS.

In the mean time, you will have to try bootcamp, virtual PC software, and/or linux with Wine.

I do wish it wasn't based heavily on the RNG, I never considered keeping your finger crossed to be much gameplay. That being said, keep up the good work.

It would also be neat if there was more to define your character, such as a gender (and possibly race etc). (Yes I know it mentiones this in the OP, I just like my text-based games description-heavy)
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 09:42:33 am »

Okay, okay! I'll look into it.

I do wish it wasn't based heavily on the RNG, I never considered keeping your finger crossed to be much gameplay. That being said, keep up the good work.

It would also be neat if there was more to define your character, such as a gender (and possibly race etc). (Yes I know it mentiones this in the OP, I just like my text-based games description-heavy)
Making the RNG have less weight is indeed on the to-do list. I have a couple ideas for re-working the combat system to that effect. As for character; that's planned for the future, but it's not really that important to me, so I'd rather get the bigger stuff out of the way first.

So hey, how about that dragonslaying challenge?

P.S. I quietly fixed a few more bugs. Redownload it to get them.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 09:52:16 am by Squeegy »
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 10:55:58 am »

Why don't you just release the Ruby instead of only packing it into a Windows executable? Then everyone could play it, Mac or not. Okay, maybe not everyone. But me! I could!

Also, your website is hard to navigate. I shouldn't have to click three download links, the last of which is invisible, only to discover there's only one format and it won't work with my system.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8