Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Ruby RPG v3.0: LOOK UPON MY BUGS, YE MIGHTY, AND DESPAIR  (Read 14732 times)

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
Re: Ruby RPG v2.8: Oh snap, son! Crafting, skills, and so much more!
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2013, 11:32:21 pm »

Capital cities, any chance of areas of interest.
In the future, absolutely. In the near future, just statues and such. I'll have to brainstorm some ideas.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2013, 11:58:31 pm »

So, uh. How do you go back to town after you leave it? When I stop and leave, the initial starting area is always grayed out and I can't seem to go  back to it. E2: To clarify, even when I leave the place under my own power.

E: Also, skinning looks like it might still not be working? Does it need specific tools? I'm fairly sure I got the latest version... Ah, you do. Still need to figure out if it's doing anything, but I found one in the shop so alright. Bit more testing, though I did just have a crash :-\
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 12:17:02 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2013, 12:33:54 am »

So, uh. How do you go back to town after you leave it? When I stop and leave, the initial starting area is always grayed out and I can't seem to go  back to it. E2: To clarify, even when I leave the place under my own power.
Nope, you can't go back until you visit another city. I was thinking of making it so that's only when you're kicked out, however. Kind of an artificial challenge.

E: Also, skinning looks like it might still not be working? Does it need specific tools? I'm fairly sure I got the latest version... Ah, you do. Still need to figure out if it's doing anything, but I found one in the shop so alright. Bit more testing, though I did just have a crash :-\
Take a screenshot of it if you can repro it.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2013, 03:21:59 am »

I did s bunch of work on a unified world map, but I will probably scrap most of it in favor of a much cooler and more dynamic and flexible way of handing things tomorrow.

Also, released another hotfix to address skinning/gathering problems. I hope they work now.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2013, 09:30:20 am »

Hit the crash again, but didn't notice the command line thing to keep the window around, so I'm giving it another go. It's only happening after I get a skinning knife, so I'm guessing that's the cause. Hopefully I'll manage to catch the error this time :-\

That said, any thought on possibly starting the critter off with basic kit, possibly skill based? I'm stubborn enough to keep at it 'till I manage it, but it's regularly taking 10+ characters before I can even manage to get a bloody skinning knife. S'a titch frustrating, y'know?

Currently my critters are usually taking karate, hardiness, and skinning, to start. The former two seem no-brainer starting choices, due to the simple fact that you don't start with weapons or armor, nor are you likely to be able to drum up enough cash to buy either before you get kicked out of the starting town, so combat skills that don't require either seem pretty obvious. I might be better off going pathfinding, serendipity, or mercantilism for the third, though...

E: Geh. Running through command line apparently didn't work. Damn this bloody OS :-\

Pattern's holding, though. Consistent crash a few fights after getting a skinning knife.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 09:39:59 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2013, 10:05:27 am »

I guess one way you can fix your encounter problem Squeegy is that instead of generating encounters in their entirety you can generate groups with preset parameters.

Mind you I havn't played this yet, but it would make sense if that was the case.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2013, 10:47:24 am »

I guess one way you can fix your encounter problem Squeegy is that instead of generating encounters in their entirety you can generate groups with preset parameters.

Mind you I havn't played this yet, but it would make sense if that was the case.

What

Hit the crash again, but didn't notice the command line thing to keep the window around, so I'm giving it another go. It's only happening after I get a skinning knife, so I'm guessing that's the cause. Hopefully I'll manage to catch the error this time :-\

That said, any thought on possibly starting the critter off with basic kit, possibly skill based? I'm stubborn enough to keep at it 'till I manage it, but it's regularly taking 10+ characters before I can even manage to get a bloody skinning knife. S'a titch frustrating, y'know?

Currently my critters are usually taking karate, hardiness, and skinning, to start. The former two seem no-brainer starting choices, due to the simple fact that you don't start with weapons or armor, nor are you likely to be able to drum up enough cash to buy either before you get kicked out of the starting town, so combat skills that don't require either seem pretty obvious. I might be better off going pathfinding, serendipity, or mercantilism for the third, though...

E: Geh. Running through command line apparently didn't work. Damn this bloody OS :-\

Pattern's holding, though. Consistent crash a few fights after getting a skinning knife.

Yeah, I think Skinning still has a few bugs I need to work out. If it still doesn't work after you redownload the game I recommend you stay away from the leatherworking path for now and go gathering or mining instead.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2013, 11:28:22 am »

What

I gambled on what was possibly the problem based on comments. I guess I was wrong, though I cannot to think what could be the "Luck problem" given that people's tollerance for Roguelike luck of the draw deaths is quite large.

Freshmaniscoolman

• Bay Watcher
  • Internecivus raptus
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2013, 12:19:06 pm »

Looks good, I don't really find anything to do in this game other than kill things, I received a quest in a tavern but I can't really find the kobold lord I'm supposed to kill.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2013, 02:46:37 pm »

Looks good, I don't really find anything to do in this game other than kill things, I received a quest in a tavern but I can't really find the kobold lord I'm supposed to kill.
The kobold lord will be in the biome for kobolds which was told to you when you accepted the quest and should be on your stats screen. If you can't find anything to do but kill things I recommend you explore the commands more.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

TomatoWalrus

• Bay Watcher
  • I am one of the tomatos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2013, 03:00:17 pm »

On a slightly unrelated note: How is Ruby as a programming language?

I've only got some minor experience in C++ myself, but it never hurts to learn more languages. Usually.
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2013, 03:01:33 pm »

It's pretty intuitive and friendly. I actually started this as a project to get better at it.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

TomatoWalrus

• Bay Watcher
  • I am one of the tomatos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2013, 03:09:23 pm »

I wish I could get back to some of my projects, but between a metric ton of Cal III homework, getting things prepared to transfer schools, and family issues, I just don't have the time.

One day though.
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2013, 03:35:16 pm »

Regarding the site, I would suggest a removal of "Welcome to my Ruby RPG's home page. You can get the latest version here." It's almost like "hello world". I know it's not a professional project and just a hobby of yours, but stuff like that better looks under "about the game", right now it's a bit glaring.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2013, 04:29:29 pm »

Regarding the site, I would suggest a removal of "Welcome to my Ruby RPG's home page. You can get the latest version here." It's almost like "hello world". I know it's not a professional project and just a hobby of yours, but stuff like that better looks under "about the game", right now it's a bit glaring.

It was the first thing I could think of to put there. Got any ideas for better things to put there? A small blurb about the game, perhaps?
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8