Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Ruby RPG v3.0: LOOK UPON MY BUGS, YE MIGHTY, AND DESPAIR  (Read 14723 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ruby RPG v3.0: LOOK UPON MY BUGS, YE MIGHTY, AND DESPAIR
« Reply #105 on: May 10, 2013, 12:17:42 pm »

Might be problem with that. While trying to reproduce it, I got another one, this time opening the stats menu after loading.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Another odd one about this is that when I crashed before, I was traveling through a desert, but after a I loaded, very shortly after loading and traveling in the same direction as before, I ended up in a forest. The message for the first one looked much the same as the one I posted before(which probably doesn't help).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 10, 2013, 07:44:16 pm »

Ok, so quests weren't saving the enemy you need to kill. This resulted in a crash on your stats screen after you loaded. I've fixed this, and removed the debugging coins, and also fixed the bug where it wasn't saving your quest city, either, AND removed the debugging spam when you load a save, AND added a notice to the level autosave. This will probably fix your tavern bug too.

Please redownload from the website.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 12, 2013, 04:54:19 pm »

Here's a sneak peek of what I'm working on for the next version:

I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

BallC420

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ruby Rpg v2.8: Oh snap, son! Crafting, skills, and so much more!
« Reply #108 on: May 12, 2013, 09:50:23 pm »

Why don't you just release the Ruby instead of only packing it into a Windows executable? Then everyone could play it, Mac or not. Okay, maybe not everyone. But me! I could!
A) I run challenges and if I release the source code (and Ruby is not actually natively compilable), people could cheat very, very easily.
B) People could cheat very, very easily in general.
C) I would much prefer to keep control over it. There are unscrupulous people out there and as nice as it would be to let anyone take a look at it and learn from it, I'd rather not have it stolen. And that's a one way thing; of I release the source code, I cannot ever un-release it. You can criticize me for that if you want, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

You may want to look into what "compiling" a ruby to exe actually does. All it does is bundle the interpreter and any used ruby packages with the source files and puts a wrapper around it that automatically extracts the files and runs the ruby interpreter. It's not really a security mechanism and it is trivial to get the source code (just look in your temp dir when you run the exe).

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 12, 2013, 10:46:21 pm »

Well that was interesting.

First adventurer faffed around a bit, got killed by I don't even remember what.

Second adventurer got an excellent steel machete and proceeded to one-shot nearly everything. Eventually retired him at Level 18. Never did fulfill his lifelong dream of actually getting to use any of his craft skills, though.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ruby Rpg v2.8: Oh snap, son! Crafting, skills, and so much more!
« Reply #110 on: May 12, 2013, 10:58:48 pm »

Why don't you just release the Ruby instead of only packing it into a Windows executable? Then everyone could play it, Mac or not. Okay, maybe not everyone. But me! I could!
A) I run challenges and if I release the source code (and Ruby is not actually natively compilable), people could cheat very, very easily.
B) People could cheat very, very easily in general.
C) I would much prefer to keep control over it. There are unscrupulous people out there and as nice as it would be to let anyone take a look at it and learn from it, I'd rather not have it stolen. And that's a one way thing; of I release the source code, I cannot ever un-release it. You can criticize me for that if you want, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

You may want to look into what "compiling" a ruby to exe actually does. All it does is bundle the interpreter and any used ruby packages with the source files and puts a wrapper around it that automatically extracts the files and runs the ruby interpreter. It's not really a security mechanism and it is trivial to get the source code (just look in your temp dir when you run the exe).
Well, the best security is obscurity.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]