Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The Pure Fort.  (Read 6699 times)

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Pure Fort.
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 11:53:17 am »

Looking at your site, trying to work out where I've seen that background before, turns out I used that as my wallpaper last year.
Anyway, nice start. Hope you get a few surprises :P

Yeah I don't normally use the default Lion background - but my Hard Drive failed (good I was able to fully back it up before it completely died), and I haven't really done much to the install on this temporary hard drive I pulled out of my server. Partially why I went back to DF - I'm sorta incapacitated till the new one gets here.

P.S. DF runs GREAT on a SSD. Too bad I only have 3gb remaining of space - it's a 16gb drive. You know how the macbook pro has a built-in SD Card port on the side? I went out and bought a 32gb SD as an external drive :D. I just keep it in there all the time.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

daftfad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2012, 12:22:35 pm »

Dude. You need more fps. :D

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2012, 12:38:07 pm »

I have it capped at 60 - I like my dwarves running a bit slower. If I really don't want to, I can bump it up.

weedeat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2012, 04:18:20 pm »

Usually adapting to a new update takes me a week or so, but 5 years of updates? ;__;
I have one word for you: HUSKS

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2012, 08:01:41 pm »

Armok help the poor bastard that has to lug an electrum statue up ten levels and halfway across a 4x4 embark to an outdoor meeting area to prevent cave adaptation.
Put a stockpile near where you want the statue to go, set the stockpile to accept electrum statues and to use wheelbarrows and also to take from the furniture stockpile if necessary, and move the statue most of the way by hauler.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2012, 08:22:55 pm »

Armok help the poor bastard that has to lug an electrum statue up ten levels and halfway across a 4x4 embark to an outdoor meeting area to prevent cave adaptation.
Put a stockpile near where you want the statue to go, set the stockpile to accept electrum statues and to use wheelbarrows and also to take from the furniture stockpile if necessary, and move the statue most of the way by hauler.

Sure, I know that now, but where were you when I was doing that?
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2012, 09:45:01 pm »

Sure, I know that now, but where were you when I was doing that?
On the forums, maybe. But you didn't ask. :P
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2012, 02:06:29 am »

I finally had the fort's first vampire. And a ton of pets. So I build a tower straight up about 20 z levels, build a bridge, pasture the pets and station the vampire. I get a migrant wave, with a guy that had a pet, but no other relationships. >_>. The fortress doesn't welcome bestiality, so he had to go. He was also on the bridge as the peasant pulled the lever.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2012, 02:14:43 am »

...straight up about 20 z levels...
I believe 30 z levels is nescassary for explosion in gore. it may be 25, actually yes I think it is 25. If you have the materials to be absolutely sure, then build to 30.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2012, 09:05:47 am »

Or just dig down a 5 z moat at the bottom. :)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2012, 04:38:45 pm »

I got too impatient, so I stopped at 20. Vampire survived without a scratch >_>.

Pets are much worse-off now. Building to 30.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2012, 04:53:10 pm »

So... I was pissed that the original intention of the platform failed so miserably. I decide to ramp it up a notch. At least the elves got to watch me dump nearly 100 innocent animals and dwarves off of a 20-story drop. I order the current bridge deconstructed.

A few minutes later,
Urist McVampire has died after colliding with an obstacle.

I look over to the scene of the crime.

The vampire, of all 200 dwarves, was the one selected to deconstruct the bridge... by standing on top of it. He survived the first fall uninjured... but the second wasn't so lucky. Ground to the skull can kill even a vampire.

He died while taking apart the thing that failed to kill him.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2012, 05:01:36 pm »

And here I was about to suggest adding giant metal spikes everywhere. Armok provides solutions for everything it seems.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2012, 11:42:20 pm »

I was able to successfully prevent a vampire attack proactively. I was just building a well for the hospital, and saw a Ñ in a bed. The vampire was feeding on my legendary stone crafter.

F.U.C.K.

Vampires were a pain in the ass in my current fort. The only 3 vampire victims were legendaries. No joke. 2 legendary miners, a legendary mason, and soon to be a legendary craftsdwarf. I think of what to do. Barracks was across the hall, so I try to send my military to kill it - I can't do that. Peasant is idling in the hallway outside... I send him to deconstruct the bed. I know that will wake up the dwarf and cancel the feeding.

I send the deconstruct order. Peasant starts moving. Vampire continues feeding. Peasant comes closer. Craftsdwarf turns pale, flashing yellow +. Peasant opens room, craftsdwarf is pale-r. Craftsdwarf starts deconstruction of bed, vampire keeps feeding.

Whew. Bed deconstructed in time. And good timing too. Bridge just finished linking up, 30 z-levels up this time. The survivors from the last drop and the vamp will be testing this new one.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2012, 11:46:21 pm »

Wow. 20+ creatures falling simultaneously exploding on impact is quite entertaining to watch.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4