Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The Pure Fort.  (Read 6694 times)

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Pure Fort.
« on: July 10, 2012, 10:37:48 pm »

Well, hey guys. It's been almost a year or two since I've been on these forums. For a number of reasons. Been busy building my business (linkage), and taking care of RL matters. I hesitated from even visiting the forums, since I knew that I'd get addicted quick. But alas, I thought it would be time to come back to my simply favorite computer game of all time.

I'm starting fresh. Making a game. No mods whatsoever. Choosing an embark. Surviving. Thriving. No exploits, cheats, or hacks. A lot has changed since I played DF last, but I think I'll get a hang of it. Minecarts. Exciting.

I first spent about an hour tinkering with my key bindings until I liked them. I'm pretty picky. Then I genned a new world. Medium size, medium civs, lots of beasts and savagery, minerals everywhere. I let history gen out a full 125 years. That was a mistake.

I thought finding an embark would be hard but not too time-consuming... But every single damn good location was covered by a settlement. I literally couldn't go more than 2 selection pages without hitting a settlement. Took me a while, but I found a 3-biome convergence with brook, mountains, and plenty of trees. And flat land.

So I adjust my dwarves and embark items to my liking. I'm going with a very build-it-while-you're-there mentality on this one.

Then I try to find a name. Keeping it pure, I decide to hit 'R' until I find a good one.

Lionbridges. Perfect.

Same tactic for group name:

The Fleshy Towers.... sure. Make your own jokes.

So here I am. The wall of ASCII is ... not a change. I've been staring at code as a living for the last year, so this isn't really a shift at all :). DF is like riding a bike. You can't un-learn it. I feel at home among the menus. I habitually check the units screen before unpausing, scanning for threats. I designate a corridor leading to the temp fort. I'm going to build the full fort into the mountain, while the temp fort is dug under the soil layers. The wagon is nicely nestled into a cove, so I decide to de-ramp the edges, build walls above it, and build a ditch to secure the fort. But hey - the only wild creatures are mountain goats. So I think I'll be fine.

And that's where I am. A new beginning. I haven't played pure vanilla in ... ohh ... five years. And I'm doing it now. Glad to be back.

- Ace.

(P.S. - The ultimate fortress project should get going again. I regret leaving at the time I did.)
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
Re: The Pure Fort.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 10:47:15 pm »

First post.    :)

Welcome back!  Ye who stray shall be welcomed back to the fold.  Because what better way can the rest of us have !!FUN!! with ye.

Also yay fellow OS X user.

Wait until you see the changes.

Heh heh eheheh....
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 10:48:07 pm »

That's what people said with every update... "ZOMG Z-LEVELS!" - "WTF is a Necromancer"

NedeN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 10:49:01 pm »

You try and leave but they keep pulling you back in!! On a side note, I am disgusted by your use of varied_ground_tiles but love the ascii. Hope you enjoy everything new in DF.
I watched a zombie dwarf tear off a girls dress and hit her with it so hard it became lodged in her skull.

Ghoulz - 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on carp insurance.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 10:56:24 pm »

My god... the 'can someone explain' thread is still alive. +1 to whoever Necro'd it for the twentieth time... I did my share of raising that thread a few times. It just won't die.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 11:35:59 pm »

Ok. So I see my mason slogging around like he's hauling a titan. Toady made stones heavier, I guess? Didn't foil me though. Built some 'barrows and have the mason building rock blocks to make the walls now.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 11:37:00 pm »

Ok. So I see my mason slogging around like he's hauling a titan. Toady made stones heavier, I guess? Didn't foil me though. Built some 'barrows and have the mason building rock blocks to make the walls now.

Everything from a boulder now turns into x4. Including bars from ore.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 11:43:00 pm »

Yeah. The blocks are working OK. There are changes, but obvious ones :). I'm doing just fine.

The improved dwarven wall-building techniques are crap though. I bet I'm not the only one that keeps getting cancellation spam when a mason can't finish the wall in the tile he's standing on.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 11:55:36 pm »

Nice. I got gypsum, sphalerite, magnetite, limonite, and I think some flux stone deeper down. Good mineral stock.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 01:29:40 am »

I see you don't like to leave any trees standing... that's the way
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Minority

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 03:35:32 am »

Looking at your site, trying to work out where I've seen that background before, turns out I used that as my wallpaper last year.
Anyway, nice start. Hope you get a few surprises :P

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 06:30:57 am »

Yeah. The blocks are working OK. There are changes, but obvious ones :). I'm doing just fine.

The improved dwarven wall-building techniques are crap though. I bet I'm not the only one that keeps getting cancellation spam when a mason can't finish the wall in the tile he's standing on.
Toady may have made the masons stupider, it used to be you would have trouble building walls if you failed to do them in a certain order or suspend certain ones but now some of those problems still exist and there's also the unavoidable "I'm standing on top of the work site" cancellation.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 06:34:21 am »

Ok. So I see my mason slogging around like he's hauling a titan. Toady made stones heavier, I guess?

More like weight matters to hauling speed, now.  Armok help the poor bastard that has to lug an electrum statue up ten levels and halfway across a 4x4 embark to an outdoor meeting area to prevent cave adaptation.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 08:01:54 am »

It's a known bug, cancel and redesignate the wall tile in question, should fix it. They wall themselves in a lot less now though, which was (part of) the point of the changes.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 08:12:24 am »

It's a known bug, cancel and redesignate the wall tile in question, should fix it. They wall themselves in a lot less now though, which was (part of) the point of the changes.
Yeah, they definitely make decisions on which side to work from in a more sane manner now.  The diagonal building works nicely, though you sometimes need a orthogonal floor to allow them to reach their diagonal location.  ???
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"
Pages: [1] 2 3 4