Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: The Pure Fort.  (Read 6689 times)

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Pure Fort.
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2012, 06:41:40 am »

Necro'd this thread, but it has some good advice for newbs in the narrative of my fort. Progress is actually going very well in Lionbridges. I have the entire main fort smoothed, with a two-story dining hall, bedrooms for everybody, sectioned-off kitchens and workshops with feeder stockpiles right next to it. Minecart systems are going up slowly but surely. Ten turkeys laying eggs, plus animals from every caravan, were giving my legendary cook something to chew at - as he pumps out masterwork roasts all day long - I have over 1400 roasts, and yet I still have 800 meat and 200 eggs left. I normally buy out caravans with cut gems, but if I haven't been on a good mining streak recently, I just give them a few stacks of 3000db roasts.

I had my military divided into 5 two-dwarf squads. A pair each of swords-, hammer-, mace-, spear-, and axedwarves. I was incredibly surprised when I saw I had a pair of legendary swordmasters sparring in my barracks. It turns out that two eager-to-learn dwarves can become legendaries in about ten years of sparring and training, with no combat experience. That was about to be put to the test.

The Dead walk again! Hide while you still can!

I get sieged by a total of 300 zombies. 300. That's twice the total population of my fort, and four times the adult population. And I only had ten dwarves. A caravan was entering the map - their guards had no hope. The caravan got slaughtered and turned back. The zombies were approaching evenly from all directions - all 300 of them were spread out along the edge tiles.

I station all ten dwarves outside my city walls, and close the gates behind them.

The fight that ensued was quite chaotic. A ball of dwarves pretty much slowly worked through the map, slaughtering everything in their path. They would kill the zombies they saw, but before they could re-station, they got caught up by some others.They were doing fairly well. After about 15 minutes, all the zombies were dead. I lost a axedwarf, who was not really a good soldier anyway. I also had a few broken bones from my hammer and mace squads. My legendary swordsdwarves were unharmed and have tons of kills.

Fast forward two years. Things still chugging along. I get a titan. I send out my squad, and after 3 misses and charges, my swordsdwarf that was first on the scene just chops its head off. Titan roasts for the next few years, it looks like. I had an issue with farming, where two entire 10x10 fields of plump helmets couldn't produce enough booze for my 100-dwarf fortress for some reason. Then I discovered the bug where a whole barrel will be claimed for one seed when being planted by a farmer. Creating a separate seed stockpile with no barrels will allow you to get 100% supply.

Fast forward another year, a few ambushes thwarted by my small but elite squad, kobold thieves slaughtered, etc. Military still strong. I get a siege. Group of pikegobbos led by a lasher riding a jabberer. This shouldn't be hard. And yes, after about 15 seconds of frame-by-frame action, they gobbos start running. My military just slaughtered them. My swordsdwarves (who are both incredibly strong, agile, indefitabglelgbble, and quick to heal) chase them down - only a few escaped. Militaries got much easier in 34.11.

MORALS:
Cooked eggs, laid by turkeys, are one of the best food sources in the game. Bring some turkey hens with you on embark. You won't regret it.

Two-dwarf squads, on 100% training duty, for ten years, does literally max out their attributes (all of my dwarves are maximum in strength, agility, and toughness), and depending on their soul attributes, has a good chance of making some legendaries.

Make sure your seed stockpile doesn't have barrels enabled. That bug effectively suspends your entire seed supply.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Pure Fort.
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2012, 09:10:17 am »

Ive got my only vampire (so far) chained up in an observation tower (luckily he was winessed by a child so i could designate the chain). Glass windows with fortifications ought to keep it airtight even from flying building destroyers. Cos y'know what else are the scum worth than being alarm puppies that will never die of old age?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]