Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Butchering caged animals?  (Read 2144 times)

Mohawk_Bravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Butchering caged animals?
« on: July 10, 2012, 08:06:51 pm »

I recently had a goblin invasion and my traps had captured about 10-20 Cave Crawlers. Being that I was starting to run a little low on food, I checked my animals, and noticed the Cave Crawlers are butcherable/trainable. So I decided to try and butcher them, except they haven't been butchered yet. They were dumped into my dump after the siege. Could that be causing a problem? Should I make a pit or something to slaughter them? Also, I've got a caged minotaur. Suggestions for weaponizing him?

Oh, and one last question. If something is in the dump, does that mean that it's unaccesable by my dwarves? I have a large amount of clothes from the goblins and thinking that troll skin might be the latest fashion.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
Re: Butchering caged animals?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 08:27:43 pm »

1. You need to release the Cave Crawlers from their traps first. Be careful with this.

2. You could try pitting the minotaur and training your militia on him.

3. Dumped stuff is forbidden by default. You'll need to reclaim all dumped stuff (d-b-c) if you want to use it.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 08:32:13 pm »

I recently had a goblin invasion and my traps had captured about 10-20 Cave Crawlers. Being that I was starting to run a little low on food, I checked my animals, and noticed the Cave Crawlers are butcherable/trainable. So I decided to try and butcher them, except they haven't been butchered yet. They were dumped into my dump after the siege. Could that be causing a problem? Should I make a pit or something to slaughter them? Also, I've got a caged minotaur. Suggestions for weaponizing him?

Oh, and one last question. If something is in the dump, does that mean that it's unaccesable by my dwarves? I have a large amount of clothes from the goblins and thinking that troll skin might be the latest fashion.

The dump job automatically forbids the items once they've been hauled to the dump. The cave crawler cages being there could very well be stopping your dwarves from butchering them, or maybe your butcher is busy. Live target practice with some pitted cave crawlers is an option too, but you risk spoiling some of the corpses.

Oh, and goblins shear the trolls for their fur, they don't skin them.

Mohawk_Bravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 08:53:07 pm »

Hahaha, good to know. Troll fur still sounds better than dwarf junk all over the place. Could I use the stock menu to forbid and then unforbid all the clothes?

Also, could someone give me a quick guide to pitting creatures? How can I make it safe for all the dwarves involved and still collect the meat?

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 09:00:47 pm »

Hahaha, good to know. Troll fur still sounds better than dwarf junk all over the place. Could I use the stock menu to forbid and then unforbid all the clothes?

Also, could someone give me a quick guide to pitting creatures? How can I make it safe for all the dwarves involved and still collect the meat?
1. If you only have one garbage dump then just d-b-c and designate over the dump. Otherwise the stock menu works.

2. Designate a pitting zone using i, then assign the Cave Crawler to the pit. Assuming you're trying to pit and kill the Cave Crawlers, do this one at a time, and then dump the corpse, and reclaim it.

Mohawk_Bravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 09:11:40 pm »

How would I go about preventing the thing from running wild? Would channels work?

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 09:12:56 pm »

How would I go about preventing the thing from running wild? Would channels work?
A 20-level drop should do the trick, since you want them to be killed for food.

Mohawk_Bravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 09:16:03 pm »

So I dig a channle twenty levels down, build a stairway to the surface (with a hatch just in case?) asign the cave crawler to be pastured there, then collect the food?

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 09:22:58 pm »

Not pastured, but pitted. Different functions. Pitting drops the animal. Other than this difference, you've got the concept right.

Mohawk_Bravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 09:27:39 pm »

Alternatively, due to some underground construction limiting drop space near my fortress, could I make a danger room style impaler to quickly kill the animals? Just dig down a few levels, use a hatched door to close it, pit the creature in the channel, then use some levered spike traps to impale the creature? Would that damage the meat?

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 09:30:30 pm »

Don't think that will damage the meat, go ahead with your alternate butchery plans! :D

Mohawk_Bravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 09:32:21 pm »

Makes you think, huh? If our planet had drunken raging dwarves, the industrial revolution would have happened around 4 A.D.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 10:26:09 pm »

If you've actually tamed those creatures, you might be out of luck - dwarves normally will not butcher the remains of a dead Tame creature, but I seem to recall that "tamed" siege mounts might be an exception to this rule...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Mohawk_Bravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 12:41:46 am »

No, they aren't tamed. I've been distracted for some time, but considering they are immortal and it should only be a few quick channels/doors/levers to create my creature killer, I'll probably hold off for awhile till I need meat. I've been busy training a second militia of axedwarves and engraving every single flat surface in sight. It seems to be working wonders for my miita's mood.

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 01:49:34 am »

Don't waste the training resource! Build some restrains, CHAIN them up, and SHOOT them to death! and you will get a (absolutely safe) butcherable corpse AND a group of proficient marksdwarves.
Pages: [1] 2