Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problem with Stockpile, barrel and my dwarf !  (Read 1627 times)

Trygan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Problem with Stockpile, barrel and my dwarf !
« on: July 10, 2012, 06:40:03 pm »

Hello !

Sorry for my bad english I'm french and I speak a little english.

I need your help, I said same message in french forum but nobody could resolve my problem.

Then I coming here...

I digging in the clay for build a farm plot and farm plump helmet all season, a side, I digging a room for my Stockpile "Food" but only "Seeds" can be place.

But i receive always a message who said :

- Planter cancels Plant seeds : Needs plump helmet spawn.

I think, it's my dwarf who prevent my farmer because my dwarf take my barrel full of "plump helmet spawn" in Stockpile and go anywhere, for back after few seconde with the barrel. While my dwarf walk with this barrel, my farmer can't cultivate her farm plot.

How I can prevent my dwarf to take the barrel full Seeds ?

Thanks, and I'm sorry for my bad English.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 02:47:20 pm by Trygan »

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with Stockpile, barrel and my dwarf !
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 06:43:04 pm »

First, welcome to Bay12.

Second, you're correct. A dwarf picks up the barrel to go collect some seeds thanks to the hauling update, taking up the entire barrel and making your farmers lose access to it until the dwarf comes back. Sadly, there's no real way to fix this aside from allowing 0 barrels in a stockpile so every tile has containerless seeds on it.

Trygan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 06:58:04 pm »

I understand, single solution it's pity for my stockage, but never mind !

Thanks for this answer and for your welcome.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 11:06:59 pm »

Yes, the seed issue is simply "don't allow barrels on any seed stockpile, ever".

You should also set things up so that you have multiple "takes from anywhere" seed stockpiles near the consumption points (stills, farmer workshops, mills/querns, dining rooms).  For the stockpiles near workshops / querns, set those stockpiles to take from those nearby buildings.

Then, all of those stockpiles should "give" to a stockpile near your fields.  The stockpile near your fields should be set to "only take from links".

Lastly, to be sure that your bags with your seeds for planting doesn't stray very far, you create *another* stockpile next to it which "only takes from links" and pulls from the other stockpile.  Any seed bags that make it onto this last stockpile will only move between it and the previous stockpile.  Your bag of seeds then won't go for a full season long tour of the fortress.

The downside of the new hauling logic is that you end up with a lot of stockpiles next to other stockpiles in order to minimize the chance that some hauler will take that container (barrel / bin) for a trip around the world.

On the flip side, the new hauling logic and give/take system means that you can exert very fine control as to what materials get used in a workshop.