Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Medical Dwarves not healing  (Read 2164 times)

Ord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Medical Dwarves not healing
« on: July 10, 2012, 05:55:19 pm »

Alright i got into a caveren and 2 troglodytes got out... one got caged and the other got killed i wanted to kill the caged one so i took it out of the cage then it attacked my hunters dog... it has a few broken bones and a smashed open toe x2

Now my medical staff just sit there and be slackers... Any way to fix this? I have a hospital with 6 beds 4 coffers and some plaster + cloth and thread and they arent using it

peccan

• Bay Watcher
  • Ennen kuin pimeä tulee...
    • View Profile
Re: Medical Dwarves not healing
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 06:08:30 pm »

Have you checked their personalities? Dwarves who get little reward from helping others or have a lousy sense of duty will find quite a lot of "better" things to do than attend to your wounded.

Ord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 06:16:19 pm »

oh derp - cheif is in a fey mood  :|
Who is now dead... he went beserk and killed a good swordsdwarf ( swordsdwarf was training so only training sword and no armour )

R.I.P Erush
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 07:24:43 pm by Ord »

Conan

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm running out of stone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 10:01:00 pm »

If i recall correctly the skill level for all the medical skills except surgeon doesn't affect quality of treatment. Just time it takes.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 10:16:32 pm »

Assuming 'it' refers back to the hunter's dog... Animal healthcare isn't implemented yet. The best you'll get is dwarves feeding their pets if necessary.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

quarague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 08:09:27 am »

but broken bones and smashed toes tend to heal naturally, dogs (and dwarfs) are fairly tough creatures. If they are not missing a limb and not bleeding to death in the first few days they will often heal up just fine with no long term consequences.
More importantly, ... , making the project pointlessly difficult and requiring greatly overcomplicated means to set up  ...
from Sphalerite

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 08:28:59 am »

but broken bones and smashed toes tend to heal naturally, dogs (and dwarfs) are fairly tough creatures. If they are not missing a limb and not bleeding to death in the first few days they will often heal up just fine with no long term consequences.

Er, I quite commonly have war dogs receive injuries that cause damage to motor nerves, or something similar, that permanently slows them down, or even prevents them from standing, in extreme cases.

vertinox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Let's Play Dwarf Fortress (tutuorial) Videos
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 09:13:48 am »

I have found that often my medical dwarfs won't by default have diagnose enabled unless they are a diagnoser. So if I got a bone doctor, surgeon, and suturer (which I had in my current fort) none of them had diagnose dwarf enabled under their labors. Without a diagnosis the doctor dwarfs won't start working on the dwarfs in question so enabling it resolved my problem.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 12:10:40 pm »

I have found that often my medical dwarfs won't by default have diagnose enabled unless they are a diagnoser. So if I got a bone doctor, surgeon, and suturer (which I had in my current fort) none of them had diagnose dwarf enabled under their labors. Without a diagnosis the doctor dwarfs won't start working on the dwarfs in question so enabling it resolved my problem.

Well, if you, like me, have the default labors set to skills in d_init, they'll only have diagnosis enabled if they have ranks in it, yes. Wouldn't know how it works if you have the default labors set to by profession.