demons
magma
necromancers
undead
tantrum spiral
loyalty cascade
giant mosquito invasion

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 25

Author Topic: 400 things you learned the hard way. FORTRESS EDITION  (Read 68989 times)

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile
Re: 200 things you learned the hard way. FORTRESS EDITION
« Reply #180 on: September 12, 2012, 07:50:37 pm »

245a. If a magma workshop is placed with the solid tile above the single open to magma tile, then nothing underneath the workshop can destroy it, or come up from the lava. All this without huge needlessly complex layers of fortifications, grates, and bridges I have been using for a long, long, time.

245b. If skipping out on those huge needlessly complex layers of fortifications, grates, and bridges in favor of 245a....be sure to get the workshop juuuust right. Or fire imps will set your beard on fire. And the booze. And pretty much everything else.
Pylons on fire can stay, its awesome.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 12, 2012, 09:20:20 pm »

246. Some FBs seem to know when they'll lose. They will then instead opt to enjoy a nice dip in your water supply and sit there for no reason. (There's a poisonous biting mongoose in my water supply. it's scaring me because once my men were in position it turned right around and is seeming to be either hiding or just taking a nice bath.)

247. If it has poisounous emmisions. SHOOT IT IN THE FACE. If it has poisonous emmisions, pray to god your marksmen get a lucky headshot. Othwerwise all your good marksmen WILL die of a necrotic disease, though they may manage to take the thing with them.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 13, 2012, 03:59:26 am »

243. SOldiers can and will commit suicide by walking out into a siege for absolutly no reason. Literally no reaso> no equippment was out there, nothing. Just walked out and died, and he was perfectly happy. I have since save scummed and will at least get some other soldiers back.
Well crap.
And here I was, thinking I'd figure out how to stop them from going all kamikaze. >:(
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 15, 2012, 06:46:01 pm »

And now

248. Sometimes migrants won't show up not because of lack of trade or too many deaths, but because you kept forgetting to up the population limit in the int. file.

249. Fuck mayoral election and thier disrupting of negotiations.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 16, 2012, 08:38:29 pm »

250. Dumping small items, especially x(clothes)x, en masse without DFHack's autodump is counter-productive.
Why, you ask?
1) Well, items marked for dumping will never be stored in bins, for one. Every last stinking X(large troll fur sock)X will have to be carried to the dump site individually. You can probably imagine how efficient this is.
2) Dump item is a very low priority job. In fact, Store item in stockpile is way above it. This leads to...
3) your finished goods stockpile getting cluttered with individually stored pieces of x(junk)x that practically nobody is willing to touch. This means they're stuck in there forever, taking up space that could be used for finished goods bins.

As silly as it seemns, the most effective non-dfhack way to get rid of useless crap is to sell it to the carbagemen caravans.
Obviuously, vanilla DF still has a lot of work to do on the de-cluttering aspect.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

pixl97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 17, 2012, 09:42:44 am »

251. Dumping continued. When quantum dumping all the goblinite bars from your cluttered smelters, make sure that you don't channel beside your dump zone, and that the new ramp is now the best path to take to the next level. Dwarfs will now throw heavy metal bars in to the pit smashing heads in.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 18, 2012, 12:48:06 am »

252. The unpassable tile of magma workshop goes on top of the magma hole. For the magma forge, this is mid-left or mid-right; for all others it is top-mid. Armok, inc. does not accept any liability, direct or otherwise, for monsters, fireballs, basalt globs or ‼Fun‼ in general pouring out of uncapped magma pits, nor any damage or loss of life caused by the above.

253. When digging a multi-level channel, make sure multiple levels are not worked on at the same time. Nothing ruins your day like a pitchblende boulder to the head of your Legendary+5 Miner.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 12:52:56 am by Sus »

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 21, 2012, 11:08:08 pm »

254. After you've just designated 256 bedrooms, save. the. game. Immediately.

[DF.exe has stopped responding]

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 21, 2012, 11:10:22 pm »

255. Expect casualties when you need to dig into the caverns out of sheer desperation because you forgot to bring enough booze to see you to the caravan.

Urist McPenguinhead

• Bay Watcher
  • dungeon master with questionable motives
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 22, 2012, 03:03:50 am »

256. Doors do not stop FBs, they are building destroyers >:|

Melzer

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_POST][CURIOUSBEAST_POSTER][FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Re: 400 things you learned the hard way. FORTRESS EDITION
« Reply #190 on: September 28, 2012, 09:35:31 am »

It wasn't even a necro...kinda.
I just...updated it to today.
We can't have a Thread that calls for 200 Things and stop at 173.
It's not dead! Exactly, we can't have a Thread that calls for 400 either and stop at 256. Can we now?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 12:12:44 pm by Melzer »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 28, 2012, 09:42:27 am »

cue whats his name moaning about necroing this.

Anyway,

257. War elephants are terribly effective antialligator systems, but they can only fight one at a time. And when three elephants are tied up fighting three out of 5 gators, a bunch of dwarves scattered around fighting troglodytes are fairly easy prey.

DiezIrae

• Bay Watcher
  • From the depth of thy soul I cometh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 28, 2012, 04:22:10 pm »

258: Isolating someone that fought a Werebeast should happen before he slaughters his wife and child. :/

Sabretache

• Bay Watcher
  • "Knowledge is power, guard it well."
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 06, 2012, 10:10:43 pm »

259: Undead Yak Bulls are Death Incarnate...
Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 06, 2012, 10:19:53 pm »

260. Leaving the game on in the background can lead to dwarves running out of food and being forced to drink water just as migrants arrive.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 25