Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarfs only wearing some parts of the full armor set  (Read 2356 times)

Szkeptik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarfs only wearing some parts of the full armor set
« on: July 10, 2012, 03:40:40 pm »

I don't remember this happening before, but now my military dwarfs don't seem to dress up all the way.

Either they have a chain shirt and chain leggings but no breastplate, or they have a breastplate but no chain shirt under it. I have plenty of both and they have the default metal uniform template that always worked before.

Saim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfs only wearing some parts of the full armor set
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 03:47:20 pm »

It should only be 1 piece of armor per slot, the chain armor and the plate armor won't stack.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 03:50:17 pm »

It should only be 1 piece of armor per slot, the chain armor and the plate armor won't stack.

My dwarves wear multiple armor pieces. I always give them a chain shirt and a breastplate.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Szkeptik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 03:54:14 pm »

No, I'm quite sure they cout wear them together before.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 04:30:58 pm »

I don't remember this happening before, but now my military dwarfs don't seem to dress up all the way.

Either they have a chain shirt and chain leggings but no breastplate, or they have a breastplate but no chain shirt under it. I have plenty of both and they have the default metal uniform template that always worked before.

It is possible for them to wear both, as others have said (biggest hard limit is only 1 shaped item per slot, eg. breastplate). However, the way I understand the uniforms, the basic uniform only says "metal armor", so once they have 1 metal armor, they'll be happy. This could have worked differently before, or not, wouldn't know (haven't made full metal armor sets, let alone multiple chest pieces, for example, in almost any forts). One possibility for what's happened before is that your dwarves have had a lower-value piece, then a higher-value one has become available, but they kept the old one too.

If you want them to stack pieces, try creating a uniform with specific "breastplate" and "mail shirt" options in it, rather than the one generic armor?

donald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 09:21:03 pm »

Never knew they could wear both chain shirts and breastplates. Time to make a custom uniform.

On a related note, is something similar true of greaves and boots? Using the standard uniform with metal legwear and metal footwear, my dwarves wear whatever greaves or leggings they can get but not a one has put on high or low boots.  I havent tried using the remove clothes before equipping option yet, so maybe it could have to do with their shoes too.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 10:12:43 pm »

Have you changed the uniform at all? If not, set it to 'replace clothing', wait for them to get everything on, change the uniform back to 'over clothing'. Alternatively, make a uniform which specifies clothing items as well as armour items, and make it one that replaces clothing. The clothing may be unecessary as I think armour prevents nudity thoughts now.

A full set of clothing takes up a lot of space on a dwarf's body, and there isn't much room left for armour. Greaves or leggings are often worn correctly because dwarves tend not to stack lower body clothing, and helms are commonly not worn at all because a helm can't be worn over a cap, be it a metal cap or a clothing-material cap.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 05:46:00 am »

Greaves will conflict with high boots though iirc (boots and greaves are shaped). They can't wear boots if they're wearing shoes, though, and that's probably your current problem.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 05:57:33 am »

Greaves will conflict with high boots though iirc (boots and greaves are shaped). They can't wear boots if they're wearing shoes, though, and that's probably your current problem.

Mmm, one of my dwarves in my last fort had an unhappy thought because his feet were uncovered, even though he was wearing high boots.  Maybe he was just missing socks.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 06:33:02 am »

Mmm, one of my dwarves in my last fort had an unhappy thought because his feet were uncovered, even though he was wearing high boots.  Maybe he was just missing socks.

Boots are armor, and should prevent bad thoughts from lack of clothing... in the current version. Where you playing the newest version in your last fort? Are you absolutely sure he had boots, and the thought didn't come from eg. the time he was barefeet before he got the boots (don't know if clothing-thoughts linger)? If he really was getting bad thoughts despite the boots, that could be a bug.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 06:36:17 am »

This is entirely 100% wrong. Armor stacking is based on how bulky the item is. How else could you wear like 30 cloaks and 12 shields? Sure its ridiculous, but it's possible and you pay for it in speed penalties.

I always layer chain under plate for my frontline combatants, with leather and chain for the crossbowmen and leather with metal helm for the hunters and scouts.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 12:54:21 pm »

Greaves will conflict with high boots though iirc (boots and greaves are shaped).
Boots are not shaped, greaves are. Boots go on the feet, greaves go on the lower body. Items occupying two different body slots cannot conflict.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 03:00:47 pm »

Greaves will conflict with high boots though iirc (boots and greaves are shaped).
Boots are not shaped, greaves are. Boots go on the feet, greaves go on the lower body. Items occupying two different body slots cannot conflict.

Sorry, my bad, remembered wrong this one thing I read about how someone was thinking of how they would want it to be.

Saim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 04:27:48 pm »

This is entirely 100% wrong. Armor stacking is based on how bulky the item is. How else could you wear like 30 cloaks and 12 shields? Sure its ridiculous, but it's possible and you pay for it in speed penalties.

I always layer chain under plate for my frontline combatants, with leather and chain for the crossbowmen and leather with metal helm for the hunters and scouts.

My apologies for the wrong information, I'll admit I'm quite lazy when it comes to equipping my dwarves since its more skill than gear saves them anyways, armor just seems to stop the lucky blows from taking them out. I've always just selected the metal armor uniform and then specified weapon types. Thanks for clearing that up forsaken1111.

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 01:39:20 pm »

Has the information changed? In the past, I'm sure that looking at a dwarf inventory or the Pri assignment in the military screen used to display equipment as quality metal Left/Right High/Low boot. Now, I just see an quality metal High/Low Boot.

I do see my gauntlets as showing Left and Right gauntlets though, so, I'm wondering if its some game change where boots are now shown as a single unit as opposed to two.
Pages: [1] 2