Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should it be done?

Yes.
No.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Mission Impossible: Recovering the Boatmurdered Saves  (Read 22017 times)

DavionFuxa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mission Impossible: Recovering the Boatmurdered Saves
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 07:55:55 pm »

Even if Boatmurder could be saved - there is no need to revive it. Sometimes to keep things epic you have to forgo a continuation.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2012, 08:27:34 pm »

One of the wonderful things about DF is that no matter how advanced the games get, (As far as I know) All previous games are still playable.

I have peole on the newest most up to date Power Gaming PC's who can still play old OLD schol 2D Dwarf.

Meanwhile there are games that came out less than 2 or 3 years ago that I can't lay anymore ;P

sorry - nope. Some saves are actually pretty localized. DF2010 saves can't be opened up with DF2012. You'll have to play it in the same version that they did. No z-levels.

What Crossroads means is that you can play the old saves using an old version of Dwarf Fortress. You can download any old version of Dwarf Fortress besides the SDL versions from 0.31.06 to 0.31.12, and those generally seem to work on new gaming computers.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2012, 01:56:38 am »

Seriously guys? Bump.

To make this post worth something:

There's a big difference between reviving an ancient succession game, and trying to push something beyond its design lifetime. Imagine if Boatmurdered were found, downloaded, and a new succession game began on the scale of Battlefailed, Failcannon, Hellcannon, Ardentdykes, Spearbreakers, Deathgate, Oceanbridge, and so on. Boatmurdered could continue with further craziness that will dwarf anything done before in there.

8)

Sure, that's the plan.  What people have been trying to tell you is, that's not what the reality will be.  Boatmurdered, while quite catastrophic in its own way, and embellished nicely by some good storytelling, was just another fortress.  There's nothing magical about it and it doesn't win (or lose) everything forever simply by virtue of being Boatmurdered.  All that will happen if it's revived is people will get their hopes up for something special to happen, those hopes will be dashed on the rocks, and then people will be disappointed and annoyed and Boatmurdereed will be diminished in their perception and memory.

Leave it alone.

Well put.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

JasonMel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2012, 10:21:23 am »

Similarly, Cactus 1549 will never fly again, and the bones of that buried Tyrannosaurus rex will never roar another bone-chilling roar. That doesn't mean their remains should be chucked into the nearest landfill.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2012, 07:21:02 am »

Similarly, Cactus 1549 will never fly again, and the bones of that buried Tyrannosaurus rex will never roar another bone-chilling roar. That doesn't mean their remains should be chucked into the nearest landfill.

This. Nobody says that a Boatmurdered revival succession has to be awesome. If it isn't, then it doesn't really have that much of an impact. The very fact is, we had a Battlefailed reclaim, and even though that didn't go very far, it was still brilliant.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2012, 07:48:30 am »

I think we should leave this alone.
History should stay history.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Urist_McGamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2012, 03:01:25 pm »

I had to look that up, I've never hear of Flight 1549 being referred to by that old callsign...

Either way, just as Cactus 1549 is now on display in a flight museum, recovering the Boatmurderd saves for a type of "living history" exhibit sounds like a good idea if its presented properly.
But others might prefer to have the mess contained behind windows to avoid tracking blood all over the their nice, color coordinated floor patterns. Kind of the Ozzy Osborne vs. Martha Stewart debate.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2012, 04:32:35 pm »

It was a story. Perhaps the most known story, but just a story, one more fort down for the count.
There are bigger and better things now. Its like digging out the bones of Michelangelo from his beloved Florence because you want to place it on some grand chappel altar in Rome next to other great hystorical figures, something they actually tried to do and fortunately failed.
Or like what the current media is doing, "reimagining", rehashing, re-starting old franchises, shows, movies, and such because the creative drive has seemingly stagnated.

Rather than look at the past, look at the future. Make your own amazing fort, or look at the current ones. Theres always something to do in DF.

Hell, if you wanna look at a current and even better fort than Boatmurdered take a look at Bravemule. The SA forums also have amazing succession forts, I would encourage you to take a look, that $20 tab helps flter quite a bit of bad content.

tl;dr No need for it.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2012, 04:57:26 pm »

Dwarf Fortress isn't just about how hard you win. Its also about how hard you fail. If things go wrong, and you accidentally your hospital through the ocean floor, through an aquifer, and through 50 z-levels of fortress, that's epic. The epic-ness of a fort depends on how committed players are to running the fort into the glacier, whilst on fire and being chased by tentacle demons. On that note, forts don't have to be revived by a single group - multiple groups can revive the same fort. They can be revived multiple times, too.

Azure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2012, 09:54:48 am »

The other guys are right, Boatmurdered isn't much different than any other fort you'd get if you crammed a bunch of newer players into a succession fort and let them have at it. It'll be nice to have the save for something to look at and go wow.... that's how you do all kinds of crazy.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2012, 10:33:23 am »

Look, if you really want to fiddle with the savegames, go to the Boatmurdered Let's Play on lparchive and have a look for the end-of-year posts.  Some of the savegames still exist.  I checked out of curiosity's sake.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2012, 04:05:47 pm »

Look, if you really want to fiddle with the savegames, go to the Boatmurdered Let's Play on lparchive and have a look for the end-of-year posts.  Some of the savegames still exist.  I checked out of curiosity's sake.

Wait were you able to download the files? I'm not talking about the image dumps of the fortress.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2016, 01:34:13 am »

I HAVE REZZED THIS
IT WAS INEVITABLE
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2016, 09:55:01 am »

Necro'ing a thread this old should not be a source of pride, but of shame.

Fie, sir.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2016, 02:25:37 pm »

Back on topic, is there a save file or not?
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5