Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13

Author Topic: Steam Greenlight  (Read 23406 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Steam Greenlight
« Reply #150 on: September 05, 2012, 05:21:56 am »

The panel sucks, not for the idea (which is great), but how it currently works. If you select 'action, rpg, strategy, adventure', it doesn't find games that are any of the above. It looks for Action RPG strategy adventure games, of which there currently are none.
Sounds like a genre worth investing in! I'll go start designing an Action RPG Strategy Adventure!

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 05, 2012, 05:24:53 am »

Sacrifice would be the closest I've played to that.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 05, 2012, 05:42:25 am »

Hmm only 21% for the highest rated right now, if it's still under %30 then the needed votes might be a little steep, I really hope slender and project zomboid get accepted.

Also I bet a large chunk of steam users just don't care about green light.
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 05, 2012, 05:49:22 am »

I believe you are right. Steam might tweak the numbers needed in the future. I am sure right now they are just gauging interest. There is an internal excel document at Valve/Steam that shows how many copies at a certain price point are needed to make enough to be worth the trouble. The problem is a lot of the popular games like Project Zomboid and even Towns have pretty heavy purchase saturation already(most of the people who would buy these games have already done so and are unlikely to repurchase). From Steam's perspective, it is much more valuable to get an indie title that has buzz but has not been released in any form yet, like Terraria did.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 05, 2012, 06:19:01 am »

Yeah but still steam could still generate money from people who have been holding out because they did not like disura or the way they publish the game.

But it does seem rather steep, the people who are interested in the game have heard its on green light by now and voted up, and then there will be a large chunk of people who just don't care.

I don't see the % for games going up by much more over this month I would say by 2-5 % at the most.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 05, 2012, 06:41:55 am »

I don't like the payment to get in, I think there are better ways to cut down on clutter (Though its nice it goes to charity). Mostly through changing the method of browsing, instead of bring presented with a list of 700 games (Perhaps split it into "complete/nearly complete" and "concept/techdemo" or something). Really, I do like seeing what other people have made, including people who may not be able to afford the fee/Have-not-completed-enough-to-risk-submitting (I think Greenlight may have encouraged some "closet" developers to come out).
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 05, 2012, 06:50:17 am »

"I have this novel idea for how to store clothes and other household things..."? ;)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 05, 2012, 07:22:47 am »

I wish Dwarf Fortress was up on it. I bet we could get it greenlit in 3 days.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 05, 2012, 08:30:27 am »

Why would we want DF on greenlight?
I'm sad because of the entry fee, now Shook cant put Angry Laser Space on it for publicity :(

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #159 on: September 05, 2012, 08:51:35 am »

Greenlight isn't a publicity engine, it is a system by which Steam can sort out the crap and reduce an innumerable number of games to a few possibilities which may sell on Steam. Honestly I'm pretty sure they don't care about supporting indie devs, they want to let juicy games in which will sell. I mean there may be a few lower down in the corporate structure who want to support indies and hobby devs but the whole greenlight thing was likely approved because it was cheaper than hiring additional staff to sort through all the game submissions.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 05, 2012, 08:54:17 am »

Why would we want DF on greenlight?
I'm sad because of the entry fee, now Shook cant put Angry Laser Space on it for publicity :(

DF should'nt get on greenlight, it should get a kickstarter, this can be the perfect method to give toady enough money to continue working on the game for the rest of his life, and still maintain it as a free game.

Does shook wants to get his game on greenlight?

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 05, 2012, 09:17:53 am »

Does shook wants to get his game on greenlight?

I am sure one of us would foot the bill if he does.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 05, 2012, 10:33:28 am »

[minor nijja, while I was away from my actively editing machine...]
Yup, pretty much the whole point, as far as I can see is the "sell on Steam" bit.  I understand (IMBW) that there's free games available on Steam, but I imagine the business plan is that these are loss-leaders to get people to look around for Payable ones, and possibly even accepted on the basis that a really popular free game might entice the publisher to put the next version up as a micropayment-payable one, or even a more standard 'macropayment' one as they think they can compete with the Big League games and recoup their development costs.

Toady has an outlet from which he 'sells' his wares.  The 'selling' is by indirect donations (indirect to the downloading and playing process, that is), and the provision of his game(s!) gets covered by the infrastructure he's already invested in (and wishes to continue to, in running costs).  If an indy developer didn't want to set up (and continue to run) something Bay12ish, then perhaps Greenlighting would be an option (among others), the only advantage Toady might get is the increase in visibility.

(But, at the risk of presuming the state of things, if he's happy with the current level, what with all of us knowing about it and getting an article in Time/wherever it was and countless other places popularising the game, then what would be the point?  Maybe when it gets to Beta or even late-Beta stage he might want to re-evaluate and run ads on every cinema screen in the Western World and quite a few of the others, but by then Greenlight will probably not be the platform anyway.)

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 11, 2012, 02:54:51 pm »

The first 10 greenlighted games has been announced, and, to my utter pleasure, Towns, Project Zomboid, Kenshi and Black Mesa are among the chosen ones! :D

Quote from: The Chosen Ones
        Black Mesa
        Cry of Fear
        Dream
        Heroes & Generals
        Kenshi
        McPixel
        No More Room in Hell
        Project Zomboid
        Routine
        Towns
Source: http://kotaku.com/5942350/black-mesa-nine-other-games-get-greenlit-on-steam
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 11, 2012, 03:04:02 pm »

no slenderman :(
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13