Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Author Topic: Steam Greenlight  (Read 23413 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Greenlight
« Reply #135 on: September 04, 2012, 12:35:27 pm »

Some good chap at RPS made a bot to collect data* from greenlight and got ip banned by steam:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1164739/greenlight.htm
click the heading to sort.

* IOS/Mobile games. My personal dislike of this type of the game forms this category. Rounded-edge logo's usually give them away. (Most of them are also Tower Defence games)

750+? Damn, it's going to take awhile to sift through and downvote all those TD games.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 04, 2012, 12:53:02 pm »

It's a pity there is no option to not rate a game and just remove it from the big list of unrated games. I don't really want to have to downvote games that may be good but are not of a type that I would be interested in simply to get them out of the list.

Down voting essentially just does that (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=32641767&postcount=5)

Ah cool, there was no official word on that at the time I originally posted. It would be less confusing if they marked that as 'ignore entry' rather than 'down vote', as those are intuitively different things.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 12:55:03 pm by Metalax »
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 04, 2012, 12:54:56 pm »

On a positive note, I just found Sang-Froid, a game where you play as a pair of Canadian lumberjacks who must protect their sister from the Devil and his werewolf minions using traps and historically accurate liquor and firearms.  The gameplay looks a bit like Orcs Must Die but with more open environments and much stronger enemies, like what would happen if you combined OMD with the strider battle from the end of Episode 2.
Oh, so i'm suppposed to be stuck there.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 04, 2012, 01:07:41 pm »

Some good chap at RPS made a bot to collect data* from greenlight and got ip banned by steam:
... That is just what Greenlight needs, some sort of sorter. 

I really hated how you can go from page to page... and get the same things you saw on the previous page on the new page.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 04, 2012, 05:50:58 pm »

Well, the good chap and i are in the progress of maybe making it more eye pleasing, like in this mockup:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/21309241/highlights.jpg
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 06:01:33 pm by burningpet »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 04, 2012, 06:45:52 pm »

* IOS/Mobile games. My personal dislike of this type of the game forms this category. Rounded-edge logo's usually give them away. (Most of them are also Tower Defence games)

750+? Damn, it's going to take awhile to sift through and downvote all those TD games.
Not all the TDs are bad.
Though since I have Defense Grid and one or two others already, we certainly don't need more of them if they aren't up to par.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 04, 2012, 06:51:38 pm »

Not all the TDs are bad.
Though since I have Defense Grid and one or two others already, we certainly don't need more of them if they aren't up to par.

The majority are bad/worthless. They've been so overdone, as 2D/isometric and 3D with the player in it sort of FPS, that recently the "reverse TD" arose. Most of that was done to death by Starcraft and Warcraft. Just play those games with the respective mods and you're done with TD.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 06:55:47 pm by BigD145 »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 04, 2012, 06:55:25 pm »

I have neither SC nor WC, but Defense Grid is basically as good as a TD is going to be as far as I'd bother to try. Looks great, reasonably long, plenty of extra maps, and an eventual sequel. That and Sanctum are basically it for good Steam TD's.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 04, 2012, 06:57:02 pm »

I took one look at Sanctum when it came out and thought, "WHY?!" Just go play a FPS. There's tons of them. Some are free.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 04, 2012, 06:58:11 pm »

Because I got it in a bundle. I didn't buy it by itself.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 04, 2012, 07:14:20 pm »

So going back to Greenlight there's been some changes that might be worth discussing.

There's now a $100 entry fee to Greenlight in an attempt to reduce "noise and clutter". This fee is apparently donated to Childs' Play and Valve doesn't take any cut from it.
Greenlight will also generate a little panel of selected games that you haven't rated yet that is popular with the community. They've also seemed to change the thumbs up/thumbs down mechanic, it's now whether you would "buy this game on Steam" rather than "dislike/like".

http://i.imgur.com/jhARM.png
http://steamcommunity.com/games/765/announcements/detail/1317556891741839763

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 04, 2012, 07:18:13 pm »

While I liked seeing the messy messy silly things like people throwing eroge vns and the technic launcher at greenlight all the time, I approve of that announcement.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 04, 2012, 10:05:37 pm »

So going back to Greenlight there's been some changes that might be worth discussing.

There's now a $100 entry fee to Greenlight in an attempt to reduce "noise and clutter". This fee is apparently donated to Childs' Play and Valve doesn't take any cut from it.
Greenlight will also generate a little panel of selected games that you haven't rated yet that is popular with the community. They've also seemed to change the thumbs up/thumbs down mechanic, it's now whether you would "buy this game on Steam" rather than "dislike/like".

http://i.imgur.com/jhARM.png
http://steamcommunity.com/games/765/announcements/detail/1317556891741839763

Ah, that is a good plan.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 04, 2012, 10:08:36 pm »

The panel sucks, not for the idea (which is great), but how it currently works. If you select 'action, rpg, strategy, adventure', it doesn't find games that are any of the above. It looks for Action RPG strategy adventure games, of which there currently are none.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #149 on: September 04, 2012, 11:34:31 pm »

I like this idea of requiring a donation to Child's Play, but $100 seems a bit much for something that is as unpredictable as this.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13