Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

Author Topic: Steam Greenlight  (Read 23437 times)

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Greenlight
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2012, 04:20:08 am »

Little sidenote on the offline system for steam, it doesnt require a net connection if steam was properly shut down last time it was connected to the net (steam never shuts down properly if its running when you close windows), obviously this doesnt help if you turn your pc on and BAM no internets, but if you can get enough of a shitty connection for a second or 2, then exit out of steam, offline will work fine, there is also a way you can get it going by thrashing out a little config file or something if you have no net connection at all.
Yes, of course Steam is extremely user-friendly and doesn't have any major bugs after having shittons of games released on it already. And of course it is not a piece of utter shit. How could you ever doubt that?

The above was sarcasm. Steam fanboys most probably missed it.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2012, 04:27:24 am »

I still dont see any definition of WHAT the major bugs are, or HOW it is non-user-friendly.

Apparantly, anybody who disagrees with you is a raging mindless steam fanboy.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 04:40:54 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2012, 04:32:15 am »

If steam was a horrid piece of shit, would so many people be using it or would so many AAA titles be distributed on steam?
Yes. Yes, they would and yes, there would be.

And I don't see anybody bringing up reasons people would choose Greenlight over Kickstarter I requested two posts ago.

This has probably been mentioned before but...

Why not both? They are not mutually exclusive. Infact they are completely different, and Im not sure what trail of thought lead to the conclusion that someone has to choose one over the other.

And of course it is not a piece of utter shit.

Its not perfect, but I have not had any major issues with it.

Steam fanboys most probably missed it.
::)
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2012, 04:43:02 am »

I still dont see any definition of WHAT the major bugs are, or HOW it is non-user-friendly.
Having to 'properly shut down' Steam (even though any program made by SANE people properly shuts down on Windows shutdown) to access offline mode doesn't look like a major bug to you?

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2012, 04:43:18 am »

Little sidenote on the offline system for steam, it doesnt require a net connection if steam was properly shut down last time it was connected to the net (steam never shuts down properly if its running when you close windows), obviously this doesnt help if you turn your pc on and BAM no internets, but if you can get enough of a shitty connection for a second or 2, then exit out of steam, offline will work fine, there is also a way you can get it going by thrashing out a little config file or something if you have no net connection at all.
Yes, of course Steam is extremely user-friendly and doesn't have any major bugs after having shittons of games released on it already. And of course it is not a piece of utter shit. How could you ever doubt that?

Finally you see the light.
I have at the moment... lets see.. 241 (TWOHUNDREDANDFORTYONE) games on steam and I have had basically no issues with it. Some slowdown on downloads when there is a massive release (easily fixed by switching download servers to a place that is not on peak.) and a bit wonky offline mode, which can probably be a problem for some people but I have a stable 10mbit/10mbit (I miss my 100mbit connection but this one is free with the rent.) connection so that is a non-issue for me.
Only major issue I have had with steam if you don't count the old steam (back when it was green and basically only had counterstrike.) is with Sacred 2 where steam was about one week off with the updates meaning I couldn't reliably play online since my version was out of sync.

It is quick, easy to use, has a good selection of games with fairly good indie support and it has some of the best sales I have ever seen as a PC-Gamer. I love having almost all my games on one place for when I get new computers since I don't have to go foraging for old DVD's, Steam and GOG has me covered on that front.

Back on topic though. I am waiting to see what to say about this, too little information is out to make a decision if I like it or not, we'll see.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2012, 04:49:45 am »

Having to 'properly shut down' Steam (even though any program made by SANE people properly shuts down on Windows shutdown) to access offline mode doesn't look like a major bug to you?

As already said, albeit not by me, steam has problems, and one major bug does not make an entire platform a utter piece of shit, especially when the platform is not made for offline play. After a while you'll probably develop the simple routine of properly shutting steam down, by simply right-clicking the steam icon, scrolling up to "exit steam" and waiting a few seconds for it to finish. (windows 7, taskbar)

On topic, i'm also just waiting how this turns out, if the concentration of shitty things can either be hidden from view or be kept low, then it'll be a nice thing, on par with free advertising.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2012, 04:54:06 am »

On topic, i'm also just waiting how this turns out, if the concentration of shitty things can either be hidden from view or be kept low, then it'll be a nice thing, on par with free advertising.

Yep that is one promising thing now that you mention it, even if said game doesn't get on steam it has gotten free adspace on a major platform, that is one of the biggest issues for Indie games, actually letting people know they exist.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2012, 09:58:01 am »

Hey guys have you heard Steam sucks? You know it's true becuase Dariush keeps saying so! Everyone knows that you don't need evidence if you keep repeating something and acting abrasive to anyone who disagrees with you!

I mean why would a developer choose Steam Greenlight over McDonalds fast food resteraunt (or any other completely unrelated organisation?). Everyone knows steam is the worst thing that's ever happened and has no redeeming features, the program wont even launch if you click the icon! Infact if you click the steam icon your computer will explode and shrapnel will surely fly forth with the burning rage of anyone who's ever tried to use steamchat (a travesty of hindenburgian proportions in of itself!) and decapitate you! And the sales. Everyone knows that the steam sales are just an evil scheme to get your bank account info so Gabe Newell can find where you live and come kick your family pet in the teeth!

Don't think that just because there are hundreds of thousands of users who have absolutely no problem with the program that it works in any way. Don't think that just because hundreds of developers use it, and many indie developers rely on it for a huge percentage of their games sales, that it does anything right. They're all just steam fanboys which we can marginalise with sarcasm and belittling words!

We are the few brave and loyal gamers. We are the minority, the only ones who can see the true nature of steam. Have you ever seen They Live? With the glasses that let you see the real world? Well were just like that, me and Dariush. We fight the good fight against the worst thing that ever happened to humanity, the dreaded PC video game digital distribution and social networking program! Don't be fooled! You may think it works fine and that you've used it for years with no problem, but every night when you goto bed it sneaks out of your computer and puts it's finger in your mouth while you sleep!

The above was sarcasm. People who irrationally hate steam and don't really have any concrete reason why may have missed it.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2012, 12:28:37 pm »

-snip-

"10/10, would read again."

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2012, 12:49:55 pm »

Don't think that just because there are hundreds of thousands millions of users who have absolutely no problem with the program that it works in any way.
Come on, get the right order of magnitude :P
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2012, 02:22:10 pm »

Hehe, Steam hate.

I hate to derail a topic further, but I will state that the "offline bug" causes me more pain than others. I leave for weeks (ZERO access to internet or cell phones) at a time and bring my laptop. If I forget to shut down Steam-POW, almost no games to play. It is frustrating. It is a bug that needs to be fixed.

On the other hand:
I have lost/ruined hundreds of dollars in video game CDs. I can download any game I have ever bought off of steam.

When I installed games I was currently playing on my desktop onto my laptop, many retained my saves AND key configs.

I ruined my original Steam email account and then locked myself out of Steam. It was a straight forward process to get it all fixed again.

I think Greenlight will be cool. Honestly if I was able I'd probably re-buy Kerbal Space Program and Towns and pay for Dwarf Fortress and Gnomeira (or what ever) for the first time.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2012, 03:13:02 pm »

Disclaimer: Personally, I avoid any PC game that has Steam mentioned in its back-of-DVD-case blurb.  This I ascribe to a number of things, but perhaps most significantly some major troubles some friends of mine had (even with my help, <blowingowntrumpet>which should have been more than sufficient</blowingowntrumpet>) getting a bought-on-discs-but-installed-with-Steam game working, and then when I'd pronounced it a lost cause and beyond my <trumpetagain>quite significant diagnostic efforts to resolve</trumpetagain> they'd sold the game on eBay.  Only to have the buyers complain that they couldn't run it because it was registered already.  (As far as I can tell, we never got that far, but meh...)  Oh, yeah... And it was one of those "came on two DVDs, but at some point ended up downloading a lot of files" things.  (No problems with friends' internet connection... At least not at that time, but that's another story.)

But, aside from that (and just wanting to explain how unknowledgable I am about Steam's condition, or at least its current efficacy, although I've heard "hey, it just worked" and "th3y R th3 SUX0R!!!" responses, and everything in-between, up to and including this thread)...

If I understand it correctly, Steam has always had a problem getting a throughput of indie games on their systems.  And now they're saying they're going to allow more applications.  I can only hope, therefore, that this is in conjunction with new processes that can deal with the increase in applications.  In which case, is there any sign that they've already rolled it out and cut down the old backlog?  Might be a good idea, or else (if it doesn't work as they wish) it might end up just making a bigger logjam.

In principle, I like the provision of games idea that Steam gives, from the end-user's (i.e. player's) POV.  Like I disclaimed, I've not had that much experience of it working, but I can see that it has pleased a majority of this thread's contributors.  I'm always a bit edgy about DRM tech, but obviously that's what would be the minimum requirement for the big games companies.  I don't see why it couldn't (in the case of "bought the physical box of media" examples) a case of a registration key being exchanged for an even more secure signature file, though.  (Otherwise, empty box with 'certificate' string to activate the content downloading, right?).

But now, having (assumedly) gotten 95% of the player-end-user community sorted, perhaps sort out the developer-end a bit.  I mean, without it being a 21st-century version of the "Vanity Publishing" phenomenon, where most (if not all, plus a bit more) of the costs, or at least effort, seems to be placed at the door of the originator of the work.

Ok, so some authors/developers would never get their pet projects published, without a Vanity Publishing possibility.  Although I think that (certainly in the most extreme cases) that's probably how it should be.  Now it makes me wonder, though, about the early days of Bay12.  Now well established[1], what about the early days?  I wouldn't consider it a smart move to take DF to Steam (it's been mooted before, and shot down in ways that I totally agreed with, if not vocally supported at the time), what might it all have been like had Steam been the primary outlet, from quite early on?

(And, totally unrelated, and you may consider this to be a rhetorical question, as far as this thread is concerned... Why is the BBC(.co.uk) site experiencing so much difficulty?  I'm trying to get weather news on the other PC's screen and it's giving me server-side "sorry, unavailable, try again later" messages, when I'm getting anything sensible back from them.  Grrr...  And, see, it's not just Steam that I can tell you my problems with. ;) )

[1] Well, we've all heard of Dwarf Fortress (and probably the other members of the Bay12 stables)...  But that's a bit of a self-selecting sample, with pretty much 100% bias in its result. ;)

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 29, 2012, 09:10:46 am »

Only a few more days till this is released, I'm rather looking forward to it and hopefully we should see plenty of Indy games on steam :D
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 29, 2012, 09:23:09 am »

People saying about the offline mode not working? You just use it to launch games yes? What's wrong with going into the steam directory and opening the .exe file directly and bypassing Steam?

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 29, 2012, 09:34:43 am »

People saying about the offline mode not working? You just use it to launch games yes? What's wrong with going into the steam directory and opening the .exe file directly and bypassing Steam?
Uhh, most of the game .exe's are binded to Steam, you know that, right?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13