Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Steam Greenlight  (Read 23385 times)

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Steam Greenlight
« on: July 10, 2012, 06:45:18 am »

http://steamcommunity.com/greenlight

Steam just announced Greenlight, a system whereby steam users can comment and vote on indie titles to be released on steam. Developers can also post their games up prior to being ready for release in order to start generating interest. It is slated for launch at the end of August.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Greenlight
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 07:21:02 am »

it gives me hope for games like Towns and Gnomoria to get a decent chance to be on Steam, but I am wary of the level of control Valve will most likely still exert. I am confident that they will still only allow certain products a place here.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 07:32:43 am »

Now this sounds interesting.

I wonder if they will allow free/open source uploads?

it gives me hope for games like Towns and Gnomoria to get a decent chance to be on Steam, but I am wary of the level of control Valve will most likely still exert. I am confident that they will still only allow certain products a place here.

I dont know, they have been pretty good with the workshop. It seems like they are only going to remove offensive/illegal stuff. If a game is not very good, or something like that it looks like they will just leave it there to rot "until you decide to take it down". Still, we will have to wait and see what happens.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 11:11:52 am »

I'm of two minds about this, on one hand, steam greatly needs to sort out it's indie game approval process. There's plenty of stories of developers submitting games and not getting an answer for months on end. If they're lucky they get a "no" and if they're really lucky (or keep resubmitting) they get a "yes." So this is probobly a really good thing.

On the other hand, the idea that only the games with the most votes get accepted could mean a lot of realy niche titles, or titles with a small but dedicated fanbase could get left off the service. I guess it depends on how they impliment it, but it could easily end up being a case of games from notable indie developer/studios gauranteed to get in, smaller studios or first time devs have a much slimmer chance.

I dunno, I'd just like there to be some other criteria than popularity. It'd be good if they used this in combination with the old review process so that it'd still be possible to have a chance of getting someone at valve to take a critical eye to whatever game is being submitted, even if it's proven kinda random and scattershot up till now.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 11:18:58 am »

This is just a data mining campaign by Steam to gauge interest in top sellers. Expect more Indie devs to see delays or get the shaft because their game won't sell enough for Steam even though the dev would probably be happy just to keep a roof over their heads.

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 11:20:39 am »

Yeah, I wonder how much shit they have to wade through though.  There's probably a TON of indie games being submitted to valve.  Then they have to spend the manpower wading through it all, and the ones that they accept have to be setup for the steam store integration.

Theres probably a lot of people submitting pieces of crap games in hopes to make a quick buck or two.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 11:22:36 am »

Name three reasons why developers should pick this over Kickstarter or game-related forums like this one or RPS's or maybe even SA's. Knowing Valve, they'll probably fit in something along the lines of '90,01% of your profits go to us'.

Also, I can already see people making a ton of alts and upvoting their own game. Yeah, this is definitely going to fail.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 11:28:36 am by Dariush »

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 11:26:11 am »

They have already said that they are not just going to be looking at the top voted games, or that there will be a certain number of votes that a game needs to reach to be accepted. I suspect that this is primarily going to be used by Valve to give them an idea of which indie games have a lot of interest or have a dedicated community. Final decision on which games will be accepted is going to remain with Valve.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 11:28:38 am »

consitering that steam is a raving asshole that MUST be shot, how the hell is this GOOD?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 11:30:57 am »

Lol, you must not know much about gaming.
I apreciate steam, its a great platform imho, its good for centering games and stuff, the overlay is easy. I'm not going to say that its perfect, i dont know about that, but saying that steam is "a raving asshole that must be shot" without any argument is probably not true.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 11:31:45 am »

They have already said that they are not just going to be looking at the top voted games, or that there will be a certain number of votes that a game needs to reach to be accepted. I suspect that this is primarily going to be used by Valve to give them an idea of which indie games have a lot of interest or have a dedicated community. Final decision on which games will be accepted is going to remain with Valve.

Top votes don't necessarily sell the most units. It'll be a minimum X million units sold sort of thing.

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 11:37:14 am »

I guess you could call me a Steam fanboy.  I love steam and use it for 95% of my game purchases, and they have awesome deals on games all the time.  I think this is a good idea, and gives a portal for people to see what kind of games that are out there and give developers feedback on what they would like to see.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 11:39:31 am »

well consitering that in some cares it increases priracy by 60% AND requires you to ALWAYS have internet, i vew it is a evil pece of shit.
nevermind, thats a insult to evil peice of shit.
Highly Opinionated Fool

BunnyBob77

• Bay Watcher
  • The Lurkmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 11:40:58 am »

well consitering that in some cares it increases priracy by 60% AND requires you to ALWAYS have internet, i vew it is a evil pece of shit.
nevermind, thats a insult to evil peice of shit.
1: I don't see how steam would increase piracy
2: Steam doesn't always require you to be online, it has an offline mode.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 11:46:59 am »

offline mode still requires steam to connect to the net.
Civ 4 piracy: 10%
civ 5 piracy(after steam): 60% say they did.

questions?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13