Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A way to jump between z levels  (Read 551 times)

Szkeptik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A way to jump between z levels
« on: July 10, 2012, 05:06:48 am »

Is there a way to jump between levels so that I don't have to go all the way down to the lava sea and then all the way up to the living quarters? they have 130 levels between them and it gets really boring really fast.

orfax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A way to jump between z levels
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 05:12:02 am »

Shift-H allows you to set the F keys (F1-8, Shift F1-8) to zoom to specific places. F1 will, by default, take you to where your wagon stopped.

To set a zoom, press the desired key, then press 'z'. You can name the different keys. If you use DFHack, the key names will be issued as commands so you can also use them to issue DFHack commands.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 12:55:04 pm »

It's an inferior method to setting hotkeys as orfax describes, but you can also use the repeat-button function to jump many z-levels quickly. The repeat-button function is activated by hitting ctrl-u, then typing a number between 1 and 99, then hitting the button for another command. If you wanted to go up 60 z-levels, for instance, you would hit ctrl-u 6 0 <, which would have the same effect as hitting < 60 times.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

I am Leo

• Bay Watcher
  • Ia ia Oggez Rashaz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 07:26:03 am »

From bottom to top is quick and easy, I pull up the dwarves screen and jump to one of them.

James009

• Bay Watcher
  • Under centaur siege for going on three years now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 11:39:54 pm »

Assuming your talking about jumping the camera then, yes, the hotkey method is fantastic. I usually have one for the main entrance (F1), Residential, Industrial, and Mining levels.

However, if your talking about making your Dwarfs jump between those levels... beyond my novice skill level. Maybe use minecarts, lol?
Recently slaughtered by the undead!