Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Only you can prevent forest fires  (Read 1069 times)

chronicpayne

• Bay Watcher
  • The graveyards are full of indispensable men.
    • View Profile
Only you can prevent forest fires
« on: July 10, 2012, 03:57:31 am »

Im having a hard time figuring out whats going on in my embark, maybe someone can help?

(Please note I am using the most recent masterworks mod)

One z-level under the surface, in a sandy layer, I dug out a massive area for use in tree farming.
 After having pierced the caverns, I noticed some "Fire Tree's", which now began to grow along with the other cavern-trees in my farm.

A few months later some animals I had pastured died horrible deaths. The whole tree farm was in ashes...
I had recently had ambushers briefly enter my base, so attributed the fire to something combat related.

Twice since then the farm has gone up in flames. The last time I was able to catch it midway, and noticed it was a uniform horizontal line burning from north to south, sparing nothing. Dont have much experience with fires but if it started from one tile, would it not proceed out in a more circular fashion?

It's a hot + desert biome, but I see nothing in the wiki about hot biomes burning foilage.
I really suspect it is this Fire Tree but cant find them in the raws.
...Does seem odd the caverns contain these trees as well but do not burn down.

Thoughts what it could be?

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Re: Only you can prevent forest fires
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 04:04:58 am »

As far as I know, only two things can burn trees. Magma and dragonfire, which is basically magma anyway.

I've never embarked in a desert biome, but it might be possible that trees aren't allowed to grow there. Were the burnt trees opened to the surface at any point?
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 04:18:21 am »

I've never seen this before.

chronicpayne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 04:33:36 am »

Good thought, the cavern is completely sealed though.
The only way into it is a 3 tile wide paved road, stretched over 30 tiles, so i know for a fact its not spreading from my fort down into the grove.

The source of the fire from what i can tell, is inside my tree farm :-\
No dragons or magma (There is a volcano nearby but its not connected.)

If someone could direct me to where the raws for trees are, I would love to see what the story is with the Fire trees.
They seem to not be affected by the inferno, leaving me to believe maybe this is some sick way they ensure dominace over the other trees :P
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 04:35:18 am by chronicpayne »

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 04:41:04 am »

(Please note I am using the most recent masterworks mod)

This here should have told everyone, including the OP, what the problem is. Masterworks mod is what some people here call a total conversion mod, which is pretty much a significant deviation from vanilla DF.
@OP: You should post this in the Masterworks mod thread under DF Modding, they will be able to help you better.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

chronicpayne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 04:56:35 am »

Yeah the fire tree is part of masterworks, ive asked around there in PMs, maybe i will start a new thread as well.

I was also asking here on the chance it did relate to my biome somehow.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 05:53:42 am »

Fair enough.. but given that the Masterwork mod changes so much of the gameplay in DF, you might as well be treating it as a different game (almost), and this is why these questions are better off being asked in the Masterwork thread instead. People over there would know which issues are being caused by the mod, and which issues are issues with vanilla DF, as compared to most people posting in the other subforums, who know vanilla DF much better than Masterwork.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."