Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Traders or Traitors?  (Read 602 times)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Traders or Traitors?
« on: July 09, 2012, 07:05:39 pm »

Quote from: Kroack
A migrant wave just arrived with two dwarven traders. On the screen they are listed as friendly, not merchants. What's up with this?

I have had dwarves listed as Traders move to the meeting area as normal, and I have had some that seem to get "stuck" and are listed as friendly (the bug).  Do you think its possible that what is really going on is those dwarves that are marked as Friendly are actually goblin spies sent to scope out your fortress prior to a siege?  We all know they have dwarves in their ranks due to the Goblin Child Protective Services Snatchers, and we know those dwarves are ecstatic after they are kidnapped from the fortress.  Are they actually traitors?!

* Kroack locked his thread for some reason, and I really wanted to continue the discussion, so I fixed things the only way I know how -- started a new thread on it.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

DavionFuxa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Traders or Traitors?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 08:15:58 pm »

Probably locked it because this is a known bug. Traders that hang out at the edge of your screen, blocking other Dwarves is a bug with the caravan's apparently. The ones that come to your fort and go to your meeting area are just normal Dwarves that have come to join your fort.

A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Traders or Traitors?
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 09:31:01 pm »

Locking the thread is preventing discussion on a discussion forum.  You should only do that to topics that should not be discussed. But that is off topic (not that that ever stops us, right? :) ).

I know about the bug, and that wasn't the point of my post.  What if ... they really were traitors, and not just bugged traders?  Since they aren't behaving normally, and Toady hasn't really said anything otherwise that I am aware of (and I'm not exactly in a position to be considered "in the know"), it is entirely reasonable to speculate that their behavior is supposed to be more like vamps trying to disguise themselves as normal dwarves while trying to infiltrate your fortress.  We all know that friendly goblins on a reclaim revert to hostile during a siege/ambush.  What if these "friendly" traders are supposed to do the same when they aren't bugged and getting stuck at the map edge?!
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"