Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cursed smoke  (Read 1526 times)

Henrik Undrgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cursed smoke
« on: July 09, 2012, 02:16:57 pm »

I embarked on a sinister beach and decided after being attacked by monkeys and losing my axe that a swift move underground was in order.Shortly after I get a warning about cursed smoke but I dismissed it figuring that when I get a deacent hospital set up i'll be in a position to deal with it....except that I just witnessed it change a pangolin into a zombie in about two seconds :o.

Is this normal?

Also the fog is returning regularly so migrants might not survive.

There are also rhinos :)

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cursed smoke
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 02:27:30 pm »

As normal as anything gets in DF, yes.

Might I suggest making one or two underground passages from the edge of the map being the only accessible way into the fort (wagon accessible) so that migrants and traders can bypass most of the surface weather conditions.  If you give a crump enough about them, that is.  In other news, dropped stuff is free stuff!!!  Kinda hurts the trade balance though....

Henrik Undrgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 02:31:39 pm »

Thats a good plan.I had been stressing on how to build an enclosed area for a trade depot but that'll work better.

First migration wave:
1 fisherdwarf-well yes I do have access to the sea and its bounty of fish
1 gemsetter- gems available
4 children- :'( why, why Armok do you hate me so.

Edit: Iron from the start! Oh Armok you tease ;)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 02:34:49 pm by Henrik Undrgrim »

Henrik Undrgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 03:43:35 pm »

Sigh, a caravan turned up and became zombified.Currently a zombie axe dwarf and crossbowdwarf are trying to kill a zombie horse.They've cut off it legs, nose tail, punched out ALL of its teeth, shattered its skull, eviserated it and cut up every other organ worth a damn...and are still fighting it.The axedwarf is now an axelord and the crossbowdwarf is on its way to becoming a hammerlord.Killing them will be impossible. :(

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 05:21:30 pm »

Those are not zombies. Are inkillable beasts of doom.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Vodrilus

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been forced to endure NaNoWriMo failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 05:44:39 pm »

For extra kicks:
[Succession Game] Markedangels The Water Of Living
Our little endeavour, faced against evil smoke and collective stupidity.
Going backwards in reversed time (just like everybody else).

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 07:37:15 pm »

Does the smoke behave like the mists/dust clouds, and sink down open stairways/ramps/openings?  If so (or even if you aren't sure) you will want hatches to seal things off.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Langolier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 01:14:47 am »

Whenever you embark in an evil biome, make sure all your dwarves are hipsters. They will like an underground fortress much better.

Henrik Undrgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 08:42:25 am »

Does the smoke behave like the mists/dust clouds, and sink down open stairways/ramps/openings?  If so (or even if you aren't sure) you will want hatches to seal things off.

Yep did that already.It is appearing randomly which is annoying(fun).I'll get none for ages then two appear.At least the zombie horse is dead and the two uberdwarfcursedsmokezombies left.Took 174 pages of combat reports and a severed head to do it.Armok help any who cross those beasts.