Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Shoot First - You don't play as Han Solo in this game, I'm sorry.  (Read 2150 times)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock

Shoot First is a free action roguelike. (You can buy it to get 2 new weapons and an "Ice level")

Now, this roguelike actually doesn't have an end, it's a huge score attack. (I think.) You find random items in chests scattered around the maze (Shoot them to open them), such as guns, armor, and utility items, and wander about killing monsters and collecting diamonds to raise your score. Floors randomly pick a theme, it's not arranged in any particular order. Much like Binding of isaac, this has no classes or races, it's just you versus hordes of shooty enemies. The game has bosses, there isn't necessarily one on every floor, but they give a huge amount of exp that is used to level you and your weapon up. Also, traps. I'll let you figure them out on your own. Also a bonus, for a score attack game, as far as I can tell, there are no high score hackers, that I'm aware of. There's also hotseat (I believe, I haven't tried it yet) 2 player.

I'd say more, but that's honestly about all there is to it. Give it a shot! And don't forget to brag about scores. That's kind've the point of score attacks after all. (The link is at the top if you missed it.)

EDIT: Let me start the races.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 05:07:59 am by Seriyu »

Michael_Almeida

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:general idiocy]
    • View Profile
Re: Shoot First - You don't play as Han Solo in this game, I'm sorry.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 09:54:15 am »

Let me just toss in a tips: Try not to collect all of the experience right away. Experience points both level/larvel up your character (which I think increases health, but I'm not sure) and your equipped weapon which means that any other gun you find will always be at level 1. Practically every level has a weapon chest including the first one so maybe you can get a fairly decent weapon right off the bat and start leveling it up. With this in mind, don't be afraid to switch weapons in the first few floors and level that one up.
COMPETENT MODDER
ADEQUATE DRAWER
LEGENDARY PROCRASTINATOR
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 12:46:14 pm »

Got a message "a hunter is coming for you", saw an very fast monster rushing in my direction, that didn't cared much for every bullets i was sending his way and killing me in seconds.
Damn, everything was going so smoothly until then ...

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 12:52:56 pm »

Yeah, those bastards are lethal. Lost many a run to them
Hello Hunam

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 01:35:29 pm »

And that's my best run out of ~four. Sniff.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 01:37:06 pm »

This game is really difficult, I love it. What key bindings do you guys use? I switched strafe to 'E' but it's pretty awkward. I can't think of a better key for it.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 06:43:49 pm »

I just use the default bindings, and yeah, hunters are nasty. I got one coming for me, but then Darius, a boss monster, managed to get me indirectly killed, by me frantically dashing into a spike pit while I was dodging his missles. The run I posted in the OP was that, in fact.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 08:49:10 pm »

This game has become so much easier since i found out you can use the mouse to aim. Strafe key completly obsolete.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 03:50:21 am »

So... what's strafe actually do?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 04:07:05 am »

You can aim with the mouse ?
Great new, goodbye strafe button that i was pressing by mistake half of the time while trying to get a shot going where i wanted.

When you set up control and it asks you what key to fire, read more carefully than i did the instruction on the screen and click on the mouse instead of pressing a key, that's how you enable the mouse aiming.

And suddenly the game became much more fun to me now that i don't have to bother with the ugly control scheme involving that strafe button.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 04:12:39 am by Robsoie »

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 05:01:11 am »

So... what's strafe actually do?

While you hold down the strafe button you stay facing where you were when you pushed the strafe button. It basically "locks" your facing, so you can run out of a hallway guns blazing towards the crowded side of the room. I personally never had much of an issue, but yeah, I'd have much preferred mouse aiming, now that I know it exists.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 06:43:46 am »

Are hunters invincible ?

I had a very nice gun (one that shoot blue fast bullets that spread a bit) leveled, the boots that allow you to run much faster and managed to get chased by a hunter in a looping corridor, i think i shot at it for at least 5 long minutes while running on that loop and it didn't seem to do anything, frankly bored of doing so i just ran elsewhere and got splashed by a rock in another corridor while the hunter was behing me blocking the only way to dodge the rock.

Evilsx

• Bay Watcher
  • Some crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 07:22:50 am »

I was able to kill one for the hunter but...They came from every were and i did not have the items to take them all out...
(I was on floor 2...)

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 11:14:23 pm »

Are hunters invincible ?

No, but they have a ridiculous amount of health and/or armor. I know that I've killed them before by landing a ton of sidewinder shots, but I recently had a run-in with one while using the mighty murderer.. and it just wouldn't die. It ended up killing me even though I had it bugged.

A couple of interesting things to note about hunters. Firstly, if two are coming after you it seems like they'll collide and kill each other much like boulders. I've witnessed this twice. Secondly, they seem to react strangely to the Hunter Hunter item. I was tracking one and he simply wasn't moving at all until I got very close. I also replaced the hunter hunter with a different item in a 1x1 hallway while he was drawing near, and he refused to pass over it. He would charge up to it, stop, and sit there until one of my bullets plinked off of his armor. 

Heed my warning: it's very easy to get stuck in the cavern level (the one with the mushrooms and dull brown walls/teal floor). The giant red teethy worm monsters occasionally trigger a caged arena trap, and another will spawn. They react to your bullets by sliding AWAY, however if you're pushing them into one of the walls they can wriggle through them and then you'll have no way to end the trap. You'll be stuck and I haven't been able to find a way to end the game and save my score when I get stuck.
To handle this, carefully pick them off from a safe distance and then move in. If an arena trap triggers, focus your fire as heavily as you can on the large red worm. His death should free you. As long as the bullets are concentrated on him he won't have time to wriggle through the wall.

Killed by the giant yellow "RAARRGHH!!!!" guy. In big open rooms he's just incredibly hard.. unless there's some special way to dodge his stinking bullets.
Pages: [1] 2