Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Danger Rooms  (Read 1576 times)

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Danger Rooms
« on: July 09, 2012, 01:49:14 am »

I just build a simple danger room for training my dwarves -- my first in fact. It's a 3x8 room covered in Spikes linked to a lever. Just to test it I pulled it once.

It impaled 3 of my dwarves.

/facepalm

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
Re: Danger Rooms
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 02:04:11 am »

what were you expecting? spike traps are for killing things. you want to use training spears

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 02:06:05 am »

OHHHHHHHhhhhh. AHHHhhhhh.
Eeeee.

woops.

quarague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 05:19:20 am »

and you want to give your dwarfs a full set of metal armor, a dwarf with only regular clothing will be impaled by wooden training spears, too.
More importantly, ... , making the project pointlessly difficult and requiring greatly overcomplicated means to set up  ...
from Sphalerite

DrStalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 05:54:40 am »

And even full metal armour with 3 mail shirts and 6 cloaks doesn't guarantee that your dwarfs won't die horribly.

Have fun!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 06:06:06 am »

And even full metal armour with 3 mail shirts and 6 cloaks doesn't guarantee that your dwarfs won't die horribly.

Have fun!

makes it a lot less likely though. Don't make new helmets while they're in there or one might decide to take his off and go collect a new one
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Saim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 06:21:11 pm »

make sure the training spears you use are made from a low level (IE level 0 is best) carpenter and only 1 training spear per square if they're just starting off.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 06:22:52 pm »

make sure the training spears you use are made from a low level (IE level 0 is best) carpenter and only 1 training spear per square if they're just starting off.

BS

quality doesn't matter, nor skill level, as long as they wear metal armor as the training spear can't penetrate metal armor. Even when the subject is sleeping
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 07:36:46 pm »

10 masterwork training spears in a 3x2 danger room has never harmed a dwarf for me. The occasional broken hand, perforated kitten or punctured baby don't count.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Saim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 11:34:02 am »

Not BS Garath, thanks for your valuable input though. Just posting what I've noticed with my forts and that's less injuries with lower quality training spears.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 12:47:26 pm »

Backing up Garath on this one. What I have noticed is that I have never gotten a single injury from training spears. Not even when my dwarves have no armor. Not once, in dozens of fortresses. Weapon quality does not matter when using training spears. Saim, you noticed wrong, but that's okay, it happens to the best of us with this game. You think you've seen a pattern, but you haven't. So you keep doing what you think worked, without actually doing the science to prove that you saw what you think you saw. You thought you needed to use lower quality spears, so you did, and no one ever got hurt, yay! lower quality spears worked! Except nobody ever gets hurt from training spears in the first place, what you did was like using the "magic rock" that keeps tigers away. There never were any tigers, the rock does nothing.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 12:59:08 pm »

I've heard training spears can kill if they get a lucky eye or throat shot, but you can avoid this by including hoods and cloaks in the uniforms.  I've never had an injury with those, but I've not tried without.  Any truth to needing face and neck protection above and beyond what a basic metal armor set provides?
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 05:08:32 pm »

My guys are wearing cloth armor, some leather and every now and then someone has a wood piece of armor (from the elves) or a bone helmet (crafted from workshop) and no one has ever gotten so much as bruised. I've had them in the room for months (non-consecutively). Babies and pets still get impaled (actually pets less so. I had a rabbit die of infection). It's a new fortress, havent done resource digging and haven't built forges yet so I don't have access to metal. That being said, each square in the danger room has 4 training spears as Spikes.

Again. Never so much as a bruise. They all have wooden bucklers and their shield-usage is all legendary (the lowest at 2x, the highest at 5x), their fighting is all the way up, but dodging is only about half way.

I'm thinking of having them remove the shields and go in.

Mohawk_Bravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 01:33:22 am »

and you want to give your dwarfs a full set of metal armor, a dwarf with only regular clothing will be impaled by wooden training spears, too.

Are you sure? Because I had my dwarves running a danger room and several times haulers would give water to the militia by walking in, and none were ever even injured. I mean it might have been the odd chance that the dwarves were completely missed, but it happened three or four times. I had 10 training spears on each trap of my 4x1 room, going constantly.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 02:45:07 am »

Are you sure? Because I had my dwarves running a danger room and several times haulers would give water to the militia by walking in, and none were ever even injured. I mean it might have been the odd chance that the dwarves were completely missed, but it happened three or four times. I had 10 training spears on each trap of my 4x1 room, going constantly.

mentioned before was a 'lucky' throath shot, which is negated by a chain shirt. Tis issue is more that with the random clothing taking of most dwarfs, some parts of the body are actually not covered. I've had training spears being deflected by trousers instead of greaves, so it works, but what if the upper body wear doesn't cover upper arms, and I don't think gloves or mittens do, similar for other "in between" parts and any dwarf that left his new cap in his room and walks in bareheaded.

The worst I ever got was a bruised skin on the upper arm
Pages: [1] 2