Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DF2012 Going Deeper  (Read 2661 times)

Zaqew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF2012 Going Deeper
« on: July 09, 2012, 12:24:17 am »

I have been playing Dwarf Fortress for about 3 days and have been consulting the wiki for stuff, but there is a question that keeps bothering me.
I'am trying to go deeper and I don't know how it works.
Am I supposed to create channels for my dwarves to go underground or stairs?
And how do I get rid of those annoying open spaces of which I cannot make channels on them?
I confuse.

Edt: I also need a solution of getting rid (or harvest) enemy body parts, blood, and corpses.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 12:28:12 am by Zaqew »

firelord84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2012 Going Deeper
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 12:35:41 am »

Personally, I make ramps through the soil layers and build a long, winding hallway leading to my trade depot to fill with traps and whatnot as a backup line of defense in case the goblins break through to my fortress entrance.  Beyond that, I use up/down stairs through the stone.  Some people use separate up stairs and down stairs, but I just use up/down.

For body parts and corpses, you can set up a refuse stockpile on the surface (p -> r) so they don't create miasma.  If you want to build the refuse pile underground, put at least one door, and probably two, between it and your main hallways so the miasma doesn't spread.

Charlylimph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 12:38:42 am »

In general use "up/down" (d-i) stairs. To dig past the initial surface layer you can use down stairs (d-j) then up stairs (d-u). If you want your trade depot impatiently inside your fortress use ramps for the first layer.

Zaqew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 01:54:47 am »

Yes but how do I remove goblin corpses and blood. They are annoying.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 02:27:41 am »

If the corpses are inside your fort they will be brought to the refuse stockpile.

If they are outside they are ignored. You have to change the standing orders (o - g - o).
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 02:32:15 am by Laurin »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 02:29:26 am »

make a refuse stockpile and probably set somewhere in (o)rders to gather refuse from outside, if they died anywhere not underground. They are not dwarfs so their corpses are considered refuse, inedible refuse even.

the blood... it might be cleaned, but that's a bit irregular, it might be rained away too if it's outdoors
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Zaqew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 03:39:04 am »

I started a campaign in the icy tundra and now currently live in an ice cave. How do I stockpile the ice?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 04:26:51 am »

doesn't it melt when you bring it underground?
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 05:09:23 am »

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 08:11:24 am »

I have been playing Dwarf Fortress for about 3 days ........ I started a campaign in the icy tundra and now currently live in an ice cave

Dude you are playing the hardest, most complicated game ever made and you start off in an ice cave.  Props.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 08:22:35 am »

I have been playing Dwarf Fortress for about 3 days ........ I started a campaign in the icy tundra and now currently live in an ice cave

Dude you are playing the hardest, most complicated game ever made and you start off in an ice cave.  Props.

have you ever played rogue, nethack or other roguelikes? the scenery should be familiar from the vanilla game. You need to eat and sleep and such as in adventure mode, except that unless you manage to make a fire (wait, I need something that will burn first) and cook it, most things you can eat will give food poisoning, which is ofcourse lethal. Similarly you would need a source of fresh water too. Most water is stagnant, poisonous or inhabited by sprites, genies, demons or something else that will kill you.

After trying adventure mode here and getting killed by elephants, camels, wolves, bears, kobolds, goblins, bogeymen and whatever, I still think it's easier than a game where you don't care to fight something, first find something that you can actually eat! Funny thing was that sometimes you found canned food... damn where is my can opener?

Zaqew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 10:15:36 pm »

Well I did mutilate Yetis because my units are mostly armed.

Zaqew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 11:27:21 pm »

Question: How can I make it so I can engrave placed walls?

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 04:03:58 am »

you can't engrave constructed walls.

Now, if you cast obsidian walls, they are count as natural walls to smooth and engrave them.
And with the right amount of experience, accidently melt your fortress, too.

Saim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 01:29:11 pm »

I find the Icey area isn't too bad once you pump magma up to the surface to keep it warm :D I use the up/down stairs for most things, mainly due to laziness and it just works so well but for my entrance I'll build ramps downward for a few levels

This is how I make most of my entrances, you can just have ramps one tile over, this is just a preference of mine.
 __/
/

for the rest of the fort its just a few columns of up/down stairs.