Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What is going on?  (Read 3780 times)

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What is going on?
« on: July 08, 2012, 08:52:52 pm »

Hi all.

I am having a really odd thing going on in my fort and I dont know what it is.

It all started with my cats.

I suddenly got a message saying one of the cats in the fort bled to death. Followed by another, and another, and another. Its hitting them one by one slowly killing more and more cats. First thing I looked for were combat reports, there are none. So I was confused and wondering what is going on hoping it would stay with the cats.

Until my other animals started dieing from sudden and rapid blood loss. I mean its FAST, whatever causes the bleeding kills them almost right away. One of the peacocks died in a pool of its own blood before it could move anywhere. The cats usually can move 2 to 3 squares before they bleed to death.

I'm getting worried. I am scared of this spreading to my Dwarfs. I think one may have already died from it, maybe even two. I get no warning or anything when it strikes, just BAM dead. I am not in an evil biom and am not subject to those cloud things.

Eldes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is going on?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 08:55:17 pm »

Fight any forgotten beasts lately?

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 09:00:45 pm »

Fight any forgotten beasts lately?

Yes, but none of my military which engaged it, and survived, have died. Even those usually give you warnings as dwarfs run to the hospital.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 09:04:58 pm »

It's likely a smear of FB blood or extract.  If it's sitting on the ground somewhere and your animals are walking over it, then that would expose them to it.  Look around the area where you fought the FB.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 09:06:56 pm »

It's likely a smear of FB blood or extract.  If it's sitting on the ground somewhere and your animals are walking over it, then that would expose them to it.  Look around the area where you fought the FB.

Its in the 2nd Cavern level. None of the animals ever go down there, they stay in the meeting hall or on the surface.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 09:49:30 pm »

No idea what your problem is, all I know is that now I have a 4 Non-Blondes song stuck in my head.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 09:55:47 pm »

Is there any magma? Creatures exposed to magma die from bleeding or drowning.

Also, look for other smears of FB blood or extract. If any got on your dwarves and they wash it off, it will be sitting around the wells or murky pools. Have a look there.

Finally, are you playing with any mods or tilesets on?
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 10:33:48 pm »

Is there any magma? Creatures exposed to magma die from bleeding or drowning.

Also, look for other smears of FB blood or extract. If any got on your dwarves and they wash it off, it will be sitting around the wells or murky pools. Have a look there.

Finally, are you playing with any mods or tilesets on?

No Mods, I am using a Ttile set. I know for a fact its not magma because I would have been having this issue for a very long time if that were the problem. I am going to have to check the well.

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 10:37:20 pm »

Found FB Frozen Extract at the well in the Hospital. I will have to watch it to see if it happens to anything that makes contact with it.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 10:38:31 pm »

Found FB Frozen Extract at the well in the Hospital. I will have to watch it to see if it happens to anything that makes contact with it.

Thats your culprit right there. Build a floor over it before anyone else gets hurt.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 10:39:34 pm »

Thats your culprit right there. Build a floor over it before anyone else gets hurt.

A stray dog has bravely volunteered for *SCIENCE!*. Just to be sure its that.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 10:40:02 pm »

Its in the 2nd Cavern level. None of the animals ever go down there, they stay in the meeting hall or on the surface.
It doesnt matter where the FB blood/extract is. If a single dwarf interacts with it, its gonna carry some over with him.
The most likely scenario is that a dwarf went down to grab the corpse and butcher it. Once he was done, he went over to the well to clean himself up, leaving a pool of fb blod or extract around the well, and your animals decided to go there, thus getting infected because they dont wear shoes. Check around your well.

EDIT: There you go, damn ninjas.

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 10:45:06 pm »

Nope, the extract had no effect on the dog. Its alive and well running around the fort like a ninny.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 10:54:36 pm »

Nope, the extract had no effect on the dog. Its alive and well running around the fort like a ninny.
FB syndromes can take a while to emerge. Wait until the dog explodes into bloody chunks just as Urist McPetadopter lovingly snuggles it two months later.
My wooden badge was delicious.

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 10:57:49 pm »

Its officially not the frozen extract, another kitten just spontaneously bled to death.

*edit*

In the middle of the bloody hallway as well. (no pun intended)

*another edit*

Another cat just bled to death in the marksdwarfs range.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 11:06:17 pm by GenJeFT »
Pages: [1] 2 3