Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does blood rain zombifies?  (Read 1757 times)

Noodz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Does blood rain zombifies?
« on: July 08, 2012, 07:48:56 pm »

So i have a nice pretty embark with lots with cool stuff and biomes. Most of it is terrifying tropical shrubland, but it's not naturally zombifying, all giant thrips and mosquitoes spawn alive, and so far i managed to safely butcher stuff. It does rains human blood though, but my starting 7 can suck it up until i manage to secure the area.

Or so i thought. It turns out that after a couple of months, EVERYONE, including all farm animals, became undead, represented by @ flashing Ñ. It all happened instantaneously, so i didn't have a chance to analyze what was going on before the game over screen. However, i never saw that blood rain could zombify before.

Any precedents on this?

DavionFuxa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Does blood rain zombifies?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 08:41:05 pm »

Human Blood is just Human Blood.

Was there an Evil Cloud of some sort that could have 'husked' everything that you might have saw?
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

Noodz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 08:57:41 pm »

Nope, nothing. And even if there was some evil cloud, i could probably see it coming. What happened in this case is that everyone just turned into zombies where they were standing, all at the same time, in two occasions.

I do use a cornucopia of raw mods, one of which is that i made blood EDIBLE_COOKED. I wonder if that is somehow related.

I will try to play once again, but now i will try to spare some dwarves by digging down as soon as i spawn, to avoid them getting covered with blood.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 10:35:36 pm »

If you use mods thats probably it.

But what you are describing sounds like evil cloud behavior. It could also be that the dwarfs died to something and were instantly revived.

Ive seen evil ocean beaches that reanimate dead bodies the second they stop having a heartbeat.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 05:32:46 am »

But what you are describing sounds like evil cloud behavior. It could also be that the dwarfs died to something and were instantly revived.

Ive seen evil ocean beaches that reanimate dead bodies the second they stop having a heartbeat.

Does that re-animate re-animated parts/bodies?
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 06:29:46 am »

All evil biomes do. I often cut my enemies up so much that I have an army of fingers and toes beating my dwarves up. I've got to say, that would not be a pleasant sight.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 11:29:06 am »

All evil biomes do. I often cut my enemies up so much that I have an army of fingers and toes beating my dwarves up. I've got to say, that would not be a pleasant sight.

No, not all of them do. An evil biome can have evil rain, evil clouds or reanimation, and conbinations of those. Reanimation is not always
present.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 03:54:36 pm »

Evil biomes can also have normal weather. If it's raining while an evil cloud is on the site, the ground gets covered in scattered piles of cloud material. This can be a problem in areas of thrall-producing clouds.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 04:14:41 pm »

So i have a nice pretty embark with lots with cool stuff and biomes. Most of it is terrifying tropical shrubland, but it's not naturally zombifying, all giant thrips and mosquitoes spawn alive, and so far i managed to safely butcher stuff. It does rains human blood though, but my starting 7 can suck it up until i manage to secure the area.

Or so i thought. It turns out that after a couple of months, EVERYONE, including all farm animals, became undead, represented by @ flashing Ñ. It all happened instantaneously, so i didn't have a chance to analyze what was going on before the game over screen. However, i never saw that blood rain could zombify before.

Any precedents on this?

Had this once, in one of the first DF versions that had evil weather. It happened in a (unmodded, with original raws) world that I had already played a couple of fortresses in, the delay was not a couple of months like in your case, but a couple of days, and I think it was raining some kind of sludge instead of blood. all other details sound the same, it also happened when I started new fortresses in other evil regions in that world, I guess the world somehow got corrupted.