Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Arrg! Dumb hunters!  (Read 4117 times)

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Arrg! Dumb hunters!
« on: July 08, 2012, 05:41:49 pm »

My hunters have decided to stop hunting. They have hunted in at least three months. If I assign other dwarves to hunt they won't hunt either, and I have plenty of ammo crossbows and quivers. Is there something I've done wrong? I tried turning the labor off and then back on, but that didn't help either. My dwarves are just sitting around with No Job. Ideas anyone?
because everyone here is OCD and ADHD, and then complain when their dwarfs act similarly in game.
@I used to be an axelord like you, until I took a (+bronze bolt+) to the upper leg, chipping the bone through the *copper leggings*!@

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Arrg! Dumb hunters!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 06:05:00 pm »

I know this might seem a little obvious, but are there any animals?
It's not difficult for your hunters to hunt the local wildlife to extinction.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 06:06:48 pm »

There are a dozen wild boar, an eagle, and a barn owl.
because everyone here is OCD and ADHD, and then complain when their dwarfs act similarly in game.
@I used to be an axelord like you, until I took a (+bronze bolt+) to the upper leg, chipping the bone through the *copper leggings*!@

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 06:24:08 pm »

Could be they can't find a crossbow or bolts or other equipment, what with bins being hauled.

If I really want something killed I send military after it.  Make your hunters into marksdwarfs.  Although they don't always show up equipped or in a timely fashion.
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 06:29:45 pm »

Could be they can't find a crossbow or bolts or other equipment, what with bins being hauled.

If I really want something killed I send military after it.  Make your hunters into marksdwarfs.  Although they don't always show up equipped or in a timely fashion.

They are holding crossbows, and there are bolts sitting in the stockpile outside of bins. Also I want things hunted for food (actually their bones and leather).

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 06:46:25 pm »

Set your orders to gather refuse from outside; then the dwarves will carry the corpses inside to your refuse stockpile for your butchers to work on. The smaller animals probably won't be butchered, but those wild boars are plenty big enough.

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 06:47:43 pm »

Also I want things hunted for food (actually their bones and leather).

I use military kills for the same reason.  I just mark them to be dumped in a pile near the butchery and then reclaim them.

That doesn't solve your problem, but could be a work around.
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 06:50:17 pm »

Well it's worth a shot.

Edit: On a somewhat related note, How long does it take for a moody dwarf to go insane?
Edit2: Well they killed the yak, but they still won't hunt.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 07:10:24 pm by Awessum Possum »

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 07:44:44 pm »

I think they have three months to complete their artifact being going insane.

You mentioned that they have crossbows, and bolts are waiting for them.  Do you they have quivers in which to hold the bolts?  Also, are they marksdwarves as well as hunters?

My only hunter with my only crossbow spent about 10 minutes picking up and putting away his crossbow when I told him to be an active-duty marksdwarf.  A second crossbow would have solved that for me (drop the bow for hunting, pick up the bow for soldiering).  You may be having a similar issue, thought I doubt it from your description so far.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 07:47:14 pm »

I think they have three months to complete their artifact being going insane.

You mentioned that they have crossbows, and bolts are waiting for them.  Do you they have quivers in which to hold the bolts?  Also, are they marksdwarves as well as hunters?

My only hunter with my only crossbow spent about 10 minutes picking up and putting away his crossbow when I told him to be an active-duty marksdwarf.  A second crossbow would have solved that for me (drop the bow for hunting, pick up the bow for soldiering).  You may be having a similar issue, thought I doubt it from your description so far.
Nope, lot's of extra crossbows and they are all carrying quivers. They shot a Yak dead when I activated their squad and told them to kill it.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 07:50:16 pm »

Possum, look in stock screen under ammo, add Dump tag to all loose bolts on the screen, unforbid,, and destroy them(atomsmash them)once dumped. I still think when a bolt is fired  its supposed to be destroyed. If its not causes hunters and marksdwarves to get confused.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 07:52:56 pm »

I wouldn't recommend putting hunters into the military, at least while they have the labor enabled. Hunting, along with mining and woodcutting, creates a civilian/military uniform conflict that causes problems with their equipment. If you're going to hunt with soldiers, make sure to disable the hunting labor.

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 07:55:13 pm »

^Well I only actually activate them for sieges, hasn't caused trouble before. I usually don't hunt with active troops.

@Fredd: Thx, I'll try that.

The Military fix seems to have saved my moody dwarf at least.

Edit: Nope destroying the loose ammo doesn't help. Migrants won't hunt either.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 08:22:20 pm by Awessum Possum »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 10:48:28 am »

Make them remove their uniform when not on duty.
Looks like it could be the problem.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 01:06:39 pm »

Check burrow restrictions and make sure that the available ammo is enabled for hunting in the military screen.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]
Pages: [1] 2