Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The B&W Franchise.  (Read 6098 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: The B&W Franchise.
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2012, 10:05:26 am »

So is that a guide for any specific game?  Back when I had it forever ago, I didn't realize it was so deep!

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2012, 10:09:11 am »

Just the first one. BW2 Creatures are soulless robots.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
  • [MAXAGE:∞]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2012, 10:19:17 am »

I missed this series.  I'd play it again if I got the chance, but I can't find it anywhere.
Put into this light, Dr. Robotnik and Armok could easily have been roommates.

Known as That_Kobold on BYOND

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2012, 10:23:07 am »

Quote from: jetex1911
I missed this series.  I'd play it again if I got the chance, but I can't find it anywhere.

It took all of ten seconds to find it on Amazon ;)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2012, 10:27:04 am »

It claims old systems, but how does it play on a modern OS?  Anyone actually still playing? :P

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2012, 10:31:16 am »

It claims old systems, but how does it play on a modern OS?  Anyone actually still playing? :P

Runs fine for me on Win 7 32bit.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2012, 11:05:44 am »

Just make sure it's all patched up.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Jimlad11

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert insightful text here
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2012, 11:13:18 am »

deleted
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 12:56:31 pm by Jimlad11 »
☼Cat Tallow Biscuits☼...Mmmm...

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2012, 12:06:01 pm »

I enjoyed the first one, up until the crippling bugs made it nearly impossible to proceed. There's nothing quite like inflicting the Night of the Evil Cow on hapless peasants.

Although one little quibble I always had was that to me at least, "evil" just looked like "bruised".

In the end, I had the same feelings obout B&W that I had about Spore (and Birthright and Ascendancy and half a dozen other games over the years): brilliant idea, blew it on the execution.  :-\

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2012, 12:12:23 pm »

I swear I saw it on GOG.com as B&W 1+2. I haven't had a game from there NOT work really well on my win7 laptop. DRM-free, cheap, download installer plus you can always get the installer again from your website account. Includes manuals and other paraphernalia. Not a salesman, I just like the place.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2012, 12:28:20 pm »

I love GoG, but I didn't see B&W there as it was my first place to look.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2012, 01:07:52 pm »

I had a small problem with the save system on Vista, it refused to recognize any of my saved games. (This invoked rage after I had completed the first two islands in one marathon run then "saved" and quit, only to find my hard work rendered meaningless) However, I patched the game to the most recent version and that fixed it. I still can't get the music to play though, so some of my cut-scenes are a little weird when the camera pans over a dramatic landscape in complete silence. 
Run it as an administrator, and do NOT install it to program files if you are using Vista or Windows 7. Also, if you use a no-cd crack because the disk is old and you don't want it to explode in your cd tray (it did in mine sadly) you need to copy the music files over.
One thing I am curious about is whether anyone played this game with the "Essential Reality P5 Glove"? From what I can gather, you could manipulate the god hand with the glove in an awesome sounding way. I assume that the glove failed to sell well, since it was the first I had ever heard of it.
I used it before, but it sucked. It was awesome shaping stuff with your hand, but after 10 minutes your hand got sore and tired.

I actually made a topic on it a while ago, but it died.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=58478.0
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 01:09:44 pm by Mono124 »
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2012, 02:00:49 pm »

Nice one Moogie! I think I'll have to reinstall sometime soon and try again.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2012, 03:07:28 pm »

So I'm a shopping noob.  Anyone point me to a link where I can click "buy now" and enjoy the game?

Also any digital download options?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2012, 03:49:12 pm »

I think it might be available for digital download, but seeing as the original B&W is no longer being produced getting hold of a hard copy is actually somewhat more difficult than it should be.  And yes, although you can find listings on Amazon, some people have taken the "limited edition" thing completely out of whack and are trying to sell for 400 bucks.

'Course, I've still got the original CD plus Creature Isle and they're both in pristine condition.  I'm just that kind of awesome.

I'm a bit partial to the original, having played it many times and in many fashions since I was a just a kid (and *never* fully grasping the complexity and power of the creature's mind), but I've played the demo to B&W2 (again, repeatedly) and I appreciate it for its own reasons.

The original held, for me at least, a far greater feeling of wonder and atmosphere compared to the second one.  And thanks to certain features of the game (some intended, some not so much) had some interesting variety in how you could pull off specific things.  And the creature, for all its blatant ridiculousness and aggravation at times, really developed its own personality and made you grow attached to it (as well as allowing you to potentially teach it some really very complex and amusing tasks).

Black and White 2 was simplified in a number of ways and by quite a bit.  However, simplicity is not a bad thing.  It made a lot of godly things so much easier to do than in the first one, and implemented some things which I really rather enjoyed (miracles, for example.  While I missed having several miracles and the game dynamic of needing to protect certain out-of-the-way villages to use them, I really liked the versatility the new miracles provided and the ability to have the same basic "force" be used in different ways, like pouring or throwing).  Citybuilding was far more complex and, as such, generally more satisfying and allowing for more creativity.  Villagers finally served a purpose in warfare (aside from just throwing them at other, enemy villagers), and would themselves reflect the kind of lifestyle they were living, making things a bit more interesting on the small-scale.

However, the point-buy tribute system was...  Not particularly my kind of deal.  Sure, it gave you something to work towards personally, and in a sense it allowed you to customize your playstyle...  But there were so many stupid aspects of it, and some of the methods of getting those points were downright moronic (particularly in BotG).  Really the only way to handle it was to just hack the whole mess and then ignore the massively huge numbers that would start piling up.  Oh well.

And the creature was a bit...  Well, useful.  Highly useful.  Pretty much just a tool.  In whatever sense of the word you'd like to use.

I thought it was funny how they handle the various roles and then the "free will-ometer", seeing as the thing rarely had any ideas or personal thoughts beyond "I'm gonna eat that pig!", "I'm gonna water that field!", and "I'm gonna pump some iron with that tree!".  I guess we went from having the idiot-savant autistic creature from the first game and picked up a featherbrained jock creature instead. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3