Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Helm Problems  (Read 911 times)

Herpaderpalerp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Helm Problems
« on: July 08, 2012, 03:45:05 pm »

Okay, so I have a few squads in my military, and one is supposed to be outfitted with steel armor (helm, chain mail, breastplate, high boots, gauntlets, greaves, shields, short swords), but for some reason they will NEVER equip their helms. I made them replace current clothing, have exact matches, tried moving them around a bit, but nothing seems to work.They equip everything else perfectly fine. I have already lost a couple Sword-masters to head injuries, so what should I do?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Helm Problems
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 03:56:41 pm »

Are they wearing caps? I believe in the current version both are [SHAPED], so they can only wear one at a time.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Herpaderpalerp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 04:09:27 pm »

They are wearing both hoods and caps, but shouldn't they be trading those in for the helms? I thought that's what the "replace clothing" options does.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 04:20:02 pm »

yes, they should replace those caps. I take it you made your own uniform btw, not a default one?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Herpaderpalerp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 04:44:51 pm »

Yes I did, and they still won't replace the helms. :(

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 08:01:47 am »

Just because they *should* replace their cap for a superior helm doesn't mean they will. Military equipment has always been a bit clunky. You need to have the dwarf remove the cap, then assign him to a uniform with just the helm you want, and he'll pick it up.
Feeling down? Click Here!

Herpaderpalerp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 01:15:28 pm »

They already removed their hats, and they still won't pick up the helms.  :(

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 02:24:21 pm »

So you have:
1. assigned the dwarves to a "blank" uniform.
2. toggled their active/inactive status in the squad menu (to make them remove their current armour. might require setting them to not wear armour when inactive"
3. assigned a new uniform to them that has helms only (no caps or any other shaped head item).
4. toggled their active/inactive status again to make them pickup new equipment

And they still refuse to wear helms?

In that case, the problem is likely with the helms themselves. Either they are forbidden, or the bin they are lying in is forbidden, or there is no access to them.
Feeling down? Click Here!

Herpaderpalerp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 09:21:29 pm »

Thank you, I hadn't tried making them in-active yet. Just in time too, a goblin siege of 51 goblins, including their general, just showed up at my door. Time for some fun.