Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Godhood VII - Era of the Phoenix Game Thread  (Read 10633 times)

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
Re: Godhood VII - Era of the Phoenix Game Thread
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2013, 11:15:04 am »

Denial? A new Concept for Yggdrass. It discussed long how to react to this. Violence, Sarcasm even with just Ignoring the Requests of the Other Being. A concensus was reached: Yggdrass would retreat for now, not daring open enmity of a being that is as strong or might be even stronger than Yggdrass.

As Yggdrass retreated, the tree on the Savannah died as quickly as it had grown, leaving the nearby populace propably confused. Having retreated back to it's original Hearttree, the thousands of beings composing Yggdrass contemplated how to continue. After weeks of heated discussion, invisible and unhearable to any being outside of the Conglomerate a decision was reached. The Hearttree began to emanate a green glow and one by one small glowing balls left the tree circling the Heart Tree. Their numbers rose steadily until at last a thousand of the wisps were surrounding the tree. At an unspoken command they all plunged towards the ground and amidst the Ants in the small glade. As each wisp fused with an ant they began to grow rapidly, their bodies changing with them.

When the metamorphosis was finally finished they had changed substantially from the tiny ants below them. Each two meters in height, humanoid in form, their body and face covered in what looked looks to a normal human like an armour of chitin, the first Mor'asc were born.

Ygdrass retreats back into the Jungle and creates the Mor'asc.

Spoiler: Mor'asc (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 12:29:34 pm by Ghazkull »

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2013, 08:17:34 pm »

The hooded god replied, looking at no one in particular.

"It is done then. We shall seal our pact with unification of tribes under our command, and we shall sit together in a Triumvirate to rule over heavens and guide the mortals towards their destiny. And it is happening a moment not too soon, as the future is uncertain and we have much to do."

"Alandios, I defer to your wisdom ot orchestrate a welcome for my tribe and for tribe of Unsobar. When we arrive, I shall ensure peace between all and Unsobar shall strengthen our arms. Let the letters AUA symboliise our union!"
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 05:57:44 am by Ardas »

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2013, 08:20:52 pm »

Feinor examined the board, shaking his head lightly as he saw Unsobar making the exact mistake for which he had warned him. If Alandios played the game well, he could win the game within six moves. Disregarding the game, however, he addressed Unsobar.

"I can not, indeed, see into the hearts of men. But, being a human being, I might very well have a better understanding of their actions than you would. I am very well aware of the fact that divine decree is not as powerful in Toman as it is in the tribe of the Ox, but it was Toman about which I raised that point." He scratched at his thin beard. He should pick up a knife and shave it off again. "I do not need your oath. I know very well that you would do what is in your best interests. And it is not in your interests to have Ihanet subjugate or destroy this tribe. Even if the tribe means nothing, its god can be a powerful ally in your cause." Feinor smiled - a friendly smile. "I will trust you because you are more than intelligent enough to not go against your own goals."

Feinor's eyes scoured over all three gods in turns now, resting on Aradan. "There are still several matters remaining, however. How do you wish to unite those who worship and detest the Phoenix?"
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2013, 06:17:11 am »

Aradn turned his head to the shaman the hood betrayed no emotion, just as before.

"Isn't it simple? How can one worship Phoenix and dream of it while living in dirt huts while those how despise it live together in a powerful tribe and see none of it? If my power allows for it, I shall take that dream away from mortals that believe in the prohpecy. This difference alone shall reveal the power of Pantheon and faith in the prohpecy. Indeed, we know very little of what will happen in the future, but why would the mortals of my tribe interpret things differently than everyone else? Why tribes that birthed gods of chaos, discord and opportunism embrace Phoenix while those who despised him wished for Order to be born? And remember that I am not only looking after mortal affairs - this world is teeming with life and fertile, yet I can sense corruption and twisting of natural cycles with every act that happens on the other side of it. This world shall see Order, that is the only path to its safety."

Aradan paused. He wasn't used to speaking volumes to others, but mortal undersanding, so pathetic, so narrow... The company of the god of knowledge should help the entire endeavour as pantheon was estalished, while the fighting god should be able to handle all that oppose them. For now, words would have to suffice.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2013, 06:33:08 am »

Feinor looked at the faceless god for a few short moments, considering these words. If there was any god he respected, it was the Phoenix. He felt a strong connection with the being- Didn't all humans? He also doubted that Aradan could simple take the dream away. He believed that, in such an attempt, the world would be damaged more than it would be helped to grow and prosper. Last, but not least, the thought almost seemed to anger him.

Almost, for his anger was apparent to none but himself. "I believe that, even for a god, you are claiming an impossibility. You claim that from order the hate for the Phoenix was born. But is our kind not chaotic in nature? Is the Phoenix not more than a spirit? Is it not a representation of the natural order - chaos - of this world, of its inhabitants?"
Spider Overhaul

Godhood VIII

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2013, 08:59:36 am »

Indignation born from honest belief. He saw that. He understood. What Feinor did not understand was that a god had less choices than a mortal.

"I did not choose my fate, and I did not choose the words that set my destiny on clash with Phoenix. Mortals did. And if it happens that Phoenix desires Order as much as I do, then maybe mortals were wrong. But if mortals were wrong about this, can they be wrong about everything esle, that Phoenix is good and that life stems from it? Why are we bothered by dreams of never ending fire? I do not know. But I want to give mortals respite from this, so that they may develop some potential, free form harsh internvetion or dreams of fire that is neither a calling, nor a foretelling, but a relic of past that we were all born from. But I shall not force anything on anyone. I shall bring my tribe here and spread the word. Whether mortals choose to beleive it or not, that will be their choice. And It will be my choice to protect whatever choice they make, for that is my role."

He went silent.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2013, 09:14:34 am »

Unsobar moved another piece. He'd expected the knowledge-god to play more aggressively, but he hadn't fallen for his trap. The shaman was talking to Aradan, and he took the chance to communicate with Alandios with his mind, the mortal oblivious to his words.

He thinks too much of himself, Unsobar sent, his face impassive. I suppose allowing the Toman to subjugate these peoples is out of the question? It would be even simpler with him proclaiming non-resistance. Spreading your worship should not be too difficult - they have adopted other gods before. But perhaps that leaves too much for us to oversee. We cannot know when the black sleep claims us next.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2013, 09:30:40 am »

Alandios moved a piece once again, thoughtful. He listened carefully to the debate between the god of Order and the shaman - a brave man, that shaman, but perhaps not as wise as he thought, to risk the anger of a zealous god. He subtly nodded when Unsobar sent him a few thoughts, before replying in the same fashion.

Perhaps he is arrogant, but he is also a man of knowledge. I respect such things. I do not think allowing the Toman to conquer the other tribes would be wise - the mortals would see the start of our alliance forged in blood, and remember it as such. One day, a leader will need to arise; but that can wait, until we have more strength. I believe I hold the solution to this.

He turned towards Feinor, and smiled slightly. It was a false smile - he did not have a sense of humor, and he did not see the need to smile to express satisfaction with himself, but it made him appear more diplomatic.

"In some ways, you are right, shaman. Conflict is inevitable if we are not wary. But I believe I can remedy to that - if you are willing to cooperate.

You know many things. You have learned things from my owls and the ravens, and I believe you could be able to learn the ways of agriculture through them if you do not know them already. The pact I wish to propose is simple. I will grant you the ability to make friends out of enemies and to calm the fires of hatred through your voice alone, if you will swear an oath that you will solely use such a power for good, and that you will teach agriculture to the Alandians and to those who will come afterwards. It will not be an oath of servitude, but one of mutual aid - I shall aid you and your people through this gift, and you shall aid your people and the newcomers through your newly gained abilities.

The power - and the oath - will be hereditary. As long as your children and their children live on, there will be a Keeper of Peace within these lands, so that the Alandians and the newcomers will not shed blood between themselves.

Since your assistance will render them unnecessary to our plans, I will not attempt to rally those of the Ox to our cause. Perhaps one day, if they are in need, but not now. It should help prevent overpopulation, and generate less possible threats to the peace within these lands.

What do you say, Feinor?"

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2013, 10:51:25 am »

Feinor listened patiently to the god of the order, and then the god of knowledge. He considered their words, looking at the chess-board. He knew very well that he was pushing his limits, but something inside of him told him to move on, to do what he could for the village. He would gladly co-operate, since he saw sense in their plans. He also felt honored for the fact that these gods seemed to trust him with such a task, such a gift. Then, Alandios spoke of heritage, and it struck him like a tusk. The oath would be hereditary; the gift would pass on to his children.

Except that he would not have any. No matter how hard he tried, it seemed that he was cursed by some spirit. He saw no flaw or drawback to the god's proposal, for he did know himself a good man despite his doubts and flaws. Perhaps even despite his sometimes apparent overconfidence. He wondered- Would any of these spirits, despite the fact that their spheres were so different, be able to heal this condition?

He dared not ask for such a favor, nor did he wish to share this torment, so he simply responded differently. "I have to admit that I feel honored by such a proposal. I must ask you, however- Why would I be the right person to bear such a mark?"
Spider Overhaul

Godhood VIII

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2013, 11:47:21 am »

Alandios's gaze was deep and piercing. He thought he sensed hesitation in the shaman - but he did not wish to waste energy discovered what it was. If there was a problem, the man could manifest himself.

"You are a wise man, and you know many things. You have spoken to gods, and lived to tell the tale. You care for your tribe as though they were your family, and you appear to abhor violence. Who else would be more fit to take this role?"

He got up, abandoning the board for a few seconds. His avatar was that of an old man, but he stood straight. Looking at the shaman intently, he spoke again, with a very stern - and authoritative - voice, this time.

"Are you ready to take your oath, Feinor of the Alandians? If you accept my blessing, there will be no going back."

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2013, 12:01:05 pm »

Feinor looked back at the god. Behind the old form was obviously an abundance of energy, and he would use this energy on him, on this mortal being. It would be an irreversible act, but he did not quite hesitate. For were his intentions not merely to improve upon this world? To keep his tribe safe from harm? It was the duty his father had given him, and so he acted to it.

"If you truly wish to bestow this blessing upon me, I will accept. You have my word that I will use the influence you give me to preserve the lives of my kindred, not merely for my own gain."
Spider Overhaul

Godhood VIII

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2013, 12:09:26 pm »

Unsobar nodded in agreement. 'More than that, you are just, and appear to treat all evenly - even us, the gods. You will not be cowed by those who think themselves your betters. You do not lust for power for its own sake. But you must think beyond your own people, and keep the peace within all tribes of this pact. If Tomani should attack the people of Aradan - or the other way around, if you can imagine - you must be there.'

He rose from the ground, taking a place at Alandios' side.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2013, 12:18:35 pm »

Aradan got up too and moved over to stand with the other two gods.

"Feinor, you are the marked by our choice to lead and to ensure that our acts build, not destroy, those you have under your care. Know that regardless of circumstances and fate, it is our duty to protect mortals and help them in their endeavours. You shall be the conduit of our will so that we may commune with the mortals as their patrons and friends."
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 12:20:06 pm by Ardas »

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2013, 12:38:51 pm »

Alandios glanced at the other two gods as they stood next to him, and he smiled. It was a true smile, this time - a smile of satisfaction. It disappeared within a second, however, replaced by a serious look.

"In that case, prepare yourself. Repeat the words I utter after me."

Something changed in the clearing. The sunlight seemed to fade while the eyes of the old man started to glow in an eerie gray light. His voice started to sound ethereal and much deeper than before.

"I, who stands before the Triumvirate, accepts to become the Keeper of Peace. Upon my Blood and that of those I hold dear, I swear that I will never use this power in the name of my own ambition and that this power shall always serve to prevent bloodshed. I swear that I will not refrain from helping those in need, and that I will never bring myself to help those who do evil. I swear that I will transmit this gift to the worthiest heir I may find, and not favor those I love and those of my blood over another, more talented candidate. I swear that I shall always remain within this land, where the task was given, and not abandon it in favor of new horizons.

From now on, and until the end of time, I and my Heirs will hold the title of Keeper of Peace. Let none deny this title for as long as I stay true to my oaths, and let none bow to it if ever I break the bonds of truth."

The sunlight returned, and the voice of the god sounded like that of any man once again.

Alandios makes Feinor into the Keeper of Peace. The Keeper holds incredibly powerful charisma which can calm down even those burning with hatred. The Keeper is sworn, however, to use only this power to prevent violence, and he cannot use it for his own ambition. The title is transmitted from the current Keeper to his next of kin, or - if the next of kin is unworthy somehow - to the Keeper's chosen heir. The title is roughly bound to the area around which it was first created (the Keeper cannot go beyond a few hundred kilometers in any direction). The title cannot be transmitted to someone outside this area.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2013, 12:49:33 pm »

Feinor, all earlier pretense of arrogance gone, bowed his head. They bestowed upon him a great responsibility, and it was one he did want to carry. Whether he could carry it was one only time could tell, and it was a test he was willing to take. He thought of the children of the tribe, of the many people who would depend on him. He considered how even Unsobar, despite being the god of war, trusted him to keep peace, even if it was a peace that was to his advantage. His back straight and his eyes on the gods before him, he spoke.

"I, who stands before the Triumvirate, accept to become the Keeper of Peace. Upon my Blood and that of those I hold dear, I swear that I will never use this power in the name of my own ambition and that this power shall always serve to prevent bloodshed. I swear that I will not refrain from helping those in need, and that I will never bring myself to help those who do evil. I swear that I-" For a moment, he stumbled over the words; He could and would not have an heir. "I.. will transmit this gift to the worthiest heir I may find, and not favor those I love and those of my blood over another, more talented candidate. I swear that I shall always remain within this land, where the task was given, and not abandon it in favor of new horizons.

From now on, and until the end of time, I and my Heirs will hold the title of Keeper of Peace. Let none deny this title for as long as I stay true to my oaths, and let none bow to it if ever I break the bonds of truth."

Once more he slightly lowered his head, going over the words in his mind, then speaking. "I respect each of you for your power, for the acts you have displayed in the past, and that you will surely display again soon. But mostly, I respect your wisdom. Despite obvious differences, you unite under a common cause. I do not think that any of you are inherently evil; not even Unsobar, spirit of war. You simply represent an inevitability. I will serve this cause, for the sake of my kindred. You have formed a triumvirate of gods, and I trust that you will hold as true to it as I will to my oath."
Spider Overhaul

Godhood VIII
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6