Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Majesty  (Read 12255 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Majesty
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2012, 10:08:38 am »

2 has a little less of teh "build perfectly or die" due to the "Lords Hall" building that serves as a guild for up to 3 heroes you can "export" from older maps meaning you can get a lvl 20 mage into the field in the very first several minutes of the game.

The problem is that reviving GOOD heros costs too much.

The best use of the Lords hall I find is to take level 1 paladins from previous stages.

Though they may have been Nerfed, Paladins are outright the best unit in the game. They can actually gain health faster by leveling then some enemies can hurt them.

The biggest fault in the game in my oppinion is their obsession with boss battles and how the later ones outright negate the bulk of your army. I also HATE the nerf to the number of guilds you can make (It is pretty much an outright nerf to Rogues)

For example there is one mission where you are supposed to kill a dragon that just happens to be immune to just about everything and comes every few minutes over to destrou some of your buildings.
That alone wouldn't be actually that bad but there are also tens of beast dens spawning HUGE numbers of drakes ALL the time

This is actually a much easier mission then you make it sound. A lot of the secrets to maps is that they have a secret way they expect you to do it. (It is why I beat this on my second try after I found out the trick)

In this case what you want to do is build a fully functionioning guard towers in the dragon's way above the castle and to build things below your castle and around with possibly a "Don't go here" bounty at all times so heros don't fight the dragon (Though high level heros can survive it).

As well as with all missions you want to take initiative and destroy dens as quickly as possible OR keep them alive (in this case, you want them destroyed).

Using the right spells at the right time to improve the chances of your heroes coming out on top can be quite fun.

Yep, but you have to filter through the useless spells and REALLY useful spells. Of the useful ones is Resurection and I believe Shield of Chaos (for certain missions). The Repair spell, which I don't know if it can still be used to quickly build buildings, is one you get from the dwarves.

All other spells are pretty much useful but unneeded as some of the more powerful enemies outright ignore your spells. Plus some Temple heros are useless not because they themselves arn't powerful but because they won't wander the map or take anything but extremely high bounties (and bosses can kill them) unless you put them in a party.

--

IMPORTANT TIP YOU SHOULD FOLLOW AND NEVER BREAK

Never EVER research potions at the Bazaar. If they patched this, fine.

But last I played the Bazaar will only serve to have your heros important life saving cash spent on these mediocre-useless potions when they could be buying healing potions. Plus they will often just use the potions immediately anyway and then buy another.

--

Tip 2

When making parties the leader should be the one who you want the AI of. Rogues and Elves make excellent leaders because all they like to do is go into dangerous places and fight strong enemies (Elves have a problem with getting killed by seperating from their party). While Clerics make the worst leader because they don't want to leave.

The only time you really want to make a party is to get heros who don't do squat to actually do squat (Like Clerics)

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2012, 11:31:47 am »

They seem to be taking and using potions just fine in the last few games I've had. 

Definitely second your complaint about the soft cap on the number of guilds you can have.

Level 5 wizard? 2000 gold.  Level 5 dwarf? 2400.  These are heroes who aren't even that effective.  I threw a level 16 blademaster in the lord's hall.  8400.  They screwed the scaling up incredibly hard.

I do like cleric blobbing though.  If you put enough clerics in an area, they just throw so much heal around that the actually damage dealers and warriors can tank just about anything.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2012, 11:48:18 am »

I'm currently stuck on the mission with the Evil Lich (Maj 2) with something like 50,000 HP. I've broken all his mirrors and killed the other liches, but my army (about 30 heroes between levels 8 and 27, mostly 20ish) still can't beat him.

I COULD sunstrike him to death about 500 times, but that just feels like cheesing it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2012, 11:49:33 am »

These are heroes who aren't even that effective.

Dwarves are amazing!

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2012, 12:15:57 pm »

I've reached the Dragon mission, and I've been trying it. Thanks for reminding me of the "DONT GO NEAR" flag! :D

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2012, 01:42:07 pm »

IMO, by the time you can afford to have dwarves running around, you can have 9 or 12 upgraded warriors with at least 12 levels apiece on the field, so their use is pretty minimal.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2012, 01:54:14 pm »

Dorfs are great at smashing buildings and caster monsters.

As for the dragon mission.
I didn't say it's impossible. It's just hard like hell and it only gets worse from that point onward.

This and mission difficulty also depends on the randomness factor.

For example in the mission where you are supposed to defeat some evil wizard (and have to build a lvl 2 mage guild to stop his attacks) a Werewolf attacks your settlement before your heroes level up enough to hurt him.
I barely managed to get through the first werewolf thanks to a high level warrior from the lords hall and several healers spamming heals on him.

Hillariously enough i didn't even notice when my heroes killed that werewolf the first time i played this mission.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 02:21:56 pm by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2012, 02:14:50 pm »

All this "build everything perfect to win" stuff is news to me, as most times I literally decided on a whim what guilds I would build, whether I'd get a market or a blacksmith (having both of them at the start of the game always bothered me for some reason), ect. And I've beaten every quest in M2, and all but some of the hardest in the original+expansion. I also never build more than one of any guild type in M2.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2012, 02:19:41 pm »

I liked spamming rogues on the king rat level.  Can't have enough heroes when there are 4 sewers around you at the beginning and it scales worse than on the other levels.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2012, 02:19:51 pm »

No doubt you had it down in your head though, and were subconsciously making good decisions by what you've seen in the past. Its not so much doing it perfectly as not doing it terribly.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2012, 03:36:19 pm »

All this "build everything perfect to win" stuff is news to me, as most times I literally decided on a whim what guilds I would build, whether I'd get a market or a blacksmith (having both of them at the start of the game always bothered me for some reason), ect. And I've beaten every quest in M2, and all but some of the hardest in the original+expansion. I also never build more than one of any guild type in M2.

Thruth be told the hardest mission in the ordinary campaign I never beat (and I beat the second hardest first try) it. The reason though is simple

The last mission isn't fun. If it was an awsome mission AND the hardest in the game then I'd be fine... But IMO it is the worst.

Dorfs are great at smashing buildings and caster monsters

The problem is once you start fighting AoE bosses the only melee attackers worth anything (unless the boss can be stunned) are ones with high defense and health. This is what makes Dwarves so good.

I barely managed to get through the first werewolf thanks to a high level warrior from the lords hall and several healers spamming heals on him.

What you need to do is get rogues and ignore their first ability. Go straight for their stun.

That makes short work of the werewolf if you get rogues on it.

A lot of the trick to the game is knowing what abilities make a class good and what ones you can ignore until you are oozing with money. You can skip even getting a single wizard until you get their freeze ability (Heck even ignore all their powers except that one). The Rogues you go for their ultimate stun as soon as possible (Back before Guild restrictions the #1 strategy was to make the bulk of your defense Rogues) and then you can get the rest because it is so cheap.

Rangers depend on the mission but for the most part they are a money waster.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 03:42:17 pm by Neonivek »

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2012, 03:54:41 pm »

Favorite moment in Majesty 1: One of my monks (super high defense+magic resist+dodge) ran into a enemy monk (playing on the campaign map with two kingdoms), and they both attacked each other. However, they didn't actually deal enough damage to hurt each other (due to high defense+low attack+leveling healing), fast forward half a hour, and I have two invincible level 30 (and growing) monks attacking each other in a endless battle, each surrounded with a swarm of weaker units attacking them pointlessly (since by this point they had went beyond a place where they could be killed by anything that could be thrown at them (even though they were being attacked by what came to be heroes that became crazy high levels themselves since were also attacking forever).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2012, 03:55:23 pm »

I was just reminded of another one of my strange habits:

Regardless of how much of a help it would be, I would never upgrade a guild until all of its members were at least level 5. If it had a third level, I wouldn't upgrade it to that until they all reached level 10. I saw improved guilds as a reward to the heroes that inhabited them, and refused to give such a reward to heroes who were too busy retreating and dying all the time to reach the milestone I set for them.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2012, 03:57:10 pm »

I was just reminded of another one of my strange habits:

Regardless of how much of a help it would be, I would never upgrade a guild until all of its members were at least level 5. If it had a third level, I wouldn't upgrade it to that until they all reached level 10. I saw improved guilds as a reward to the heroes that inhabited them, and refused to give such a reward to heroes who were too busy retreating and dying all the time to reach the milestone I set for them.

Yeah... Stick to Majesty 1... (hmm that sounds a lot meaner while I am reading it... sorry)

A big part of some of the strategies is to intentionally not even get a hero or any of their skills at a guild until you have a certain skill researched (for some)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 04:17:22 pm by Neonivek »

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2012, 04:44:57 pm »

Yeah... Stick to Majesty 1... (hmm that sounds a lot meaner while I am reading it... sorry)

Bit too late for that, I'm afraid.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7