Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Majesty  (Read 12253 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Majesty
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2012, 04:32:01 pm »

My only problem with it is all the difficulty is packed into the first few minutes. Once you start gaining a foot hold its pretty hard to lose, but the start can be hellishly hard some times..

I guess I've managed to lose midgame once or twice, but yea. I've not been having much luck getting any ranged characters to survive long though!

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2012, 04:36:49 pm »

My rangers are usually the most survivable, but then again they get free healing potions from Argela(Or however the hell you spell it) planting healing plants everywhere.
Hello Hunam

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2012, 04:36:57 pm »

I always switched up my temples depending on what I felt I needed at the time. Though I will say that I've always had a fondness for cultists of Fervus, simply because I loved the names they had.

Nothing much better than watching a scrawny little masked man named Sparkling Butterfly suddenly transform into rampaging bear and tear the enemies' shit up with his legion of charmed wildlife.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2012, 04:40:08 pm »

Oddly enough the hardest and most insane mission for me is still the Elf Bribe mission.

My only problem with it is all the difficulty is packed into the first few minutes. Once you start gaining a foot hold its pretty hard to lose, but the start can be hellishly hard some times

Actually that is the point of the game. Few missions remain difficult throughout if you pay close attention to your town.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2012, 06:37:15 pm »

I remember this game being a lot harder than I somewhat think it is now, although your chances of survival are pretty heavily dependent on where your first buildings are randomly places.  Plenty's the time even in Beginner missions when I'd lose in the first five minutes because of really unlucky building placement and Trolls systematically killing my villagers before they could erect any Guilds.

You do have to be a lot faster than I remember, but that's probably why I wasn't any good at it when I was younger.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2012, 07:05:25 pm »

I found the difficulty levels usually just mean that the time when you are vulnerable is longer.
Hello Hunam

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2012, 07:56:47 pm »

I've played a couple hours of Majesty 2... I guess what bores me is that every mission is "the same". There's not a lot you can do, and there does not seem to be that much tactical variety or choices. Place your favourite guild, recruit, yadda yadda. I guess it's about optimising what you place and when you place it. Maybe I'm not looking deep enough?

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2012, 08:08:44 pm »

I echo the sentiments that the game is basically about surviving through the period where monster spawn is increasing. At a certain point, it tops out, and then the game only gets easier. MP would remedy this somewhat I imagine, however if you are behind it's probably hard to come back (all your units run away when they see the stronger enemy).

[This is based on my hours in Majesty 2 btw]

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2012, 08:41:51 pm »

Yeah Majesty both 1 and 2 is a bit like GROW type games where you have to build up your town almost perfectly in order to survive.

As for the game itself...

It is probably the only game where you have to pamper heroes as a lord/king instead it being the other way.

Also... Warriors of Discord.
Dear god i love those psychos if only for their hillarious stupidity.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2012, 08:42:45 pm »

Am I the only one who would sometimes continue playing after a mission was over, and steadily conquer the entire map by covering it with buildings?

ibot66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2012, 09:19:21 pm »

Theres also a iPhone/pad version, although it appears to be missing quite a few features.
 :-X

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2012, 10:00:28 pm »

I remember this game being a lot harder than I somewhat think it is now, although your chances of survival are pretty heavily dependent on where your first buildings are randomly places.  Plenty's the time even in Beginner missions when I'd lose in the first five minutes because of really unlucky building placement and Trolls systematically killing my villagers before they could erect any Guilds.

You do have to be a lot faster than I remember, but that's probably why I wasn't any good at it when I was younger.

That is why Gnomes are amazing! I know a lot of people prefer Dwarves, but the fast building of the gnomes is soo much more worth it.

Especially if you are playing a northern map since Gnomes get the "gnome Champion" upgrade if they win in a tournament.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2012, 10:10:40 pm »

I only ever had the demo, but I used to play this all the time on my mates comp. Nothing beats the satisfaction of watching a hero that you've carefully nursed through all their lower levels slowly turn into an unstoppable juggernaut.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2012, 03:59:54 am »

I've played a couple hours of Majesty 2... I guess what bores me is that every mission is "the same". There's not a lot you can do, and there does not seem to be that much tactical variety or choices. Place your favourite guild, recruit, yadda yadda. I guess it's about optimising what you place and when you place it. Maybe I'm not looking deep enough?

Yea, I suppose majesty just isn't for you. The first game is similar; like said before, it is a lot like GROW. You need to build everything in the right order, recruit at the right times, etc. It remains challenging because there are a ton of different starting scenarios, ranging from extremely hard to extremely easy; you'll always have to be adjusting what and where you build.

I don't know if 2 had these also, but for 1 you did get some tactical variety out of spells. Each temple you build not only lets you recruit followers of the temple, but also spells that temple provides. Using the right spells at the right time to improve the chances of your heroes coming out on top can be quite fun.

I agree the game is a little repetitive; while there's always something for you to get better at, you are very limited in what you can do and in the end the gameplay is roughly the same regardless. I find it quite worth it though, especially if you can enjoy the gameplay that is there.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2012, 04:58:18 am »

Yea, I suppose majesty just isn't for you. The first game is similar; like said before, it is a lot like GROW. You need to build everything in the right order, recruit at the right times, etc. It remains challenging because there are a ton of different starting scenarios, ranging from extremely hard to extremely easy; you'll always have to be adjusting what and where you build.

I don't know if 2 had these also, but for 1 you did get some tactical variety out of spells. Each temple you build not only lets you recruit followers of the temple, but also spells that temple provides. Using the right spells at the right time to improve the chances of your heroes coming out on top can be quite fun.

I agree the game is a little repetitive; while there's always something for you to get better at, you are very limited in what you can do and in the end the gameplay is roughly the same regardless. I find it quite worth it though, especially if you can enjoy the gameplay that is there.

2 has a little less of teh "build perfectly or die" due to the "Lords Hall" building that serves as a guild for up to 3 heroes you can "export" from older maps meaning you can get a lvl 20 mage into the field in the very first several minutes of the game.

Then there are artifacts you recover during the campaign that basically serve as additional spells.

HOWEVER... some missions are HELL.
For example there is one mission where you are supposed to kill a dragon that just happens to be immune to just about everything and comes every few minutes over to destrou some of your buildings.
That alone wouldn't be actually that bad but there are also tens of beast dens spawning HUGE numbers of drakes ALL the time.

You get swarmed by 10 of those things before you complete the typical buildup (market healer guild warrior guild).
Total freaking madness.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7