Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Majesty  (Read 12238 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Majesty
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2016, 08:48:22 am »

Krypta is nice in some situations, particularly on fun maps that have shadow beasts for the priestesses to tame, but Agrela's healers are overall much more useful, PARTICULARLY in the Northern expansion.

First of all, they get Turn Undead which is freaking amazing, secondly they are amazing on any map that has rats. Why? Because rat plague is a major bitch, and healers WILL AUTOMATICALLY CURE PLAGUED INDIVIDUALS.  For FREE.

Furthermore, the healing herbs are considerably more useful than the poisonous herbs the cultists plant.  Rangers don't generally have that much gold on hand, and healing potions will get used many, many times. Poisoning only happens once, and is completely outclassed by just upgrading the rogue's guild to level 2, something you'll want to do anyways.  Plus, rangers can stockpile more than 5 potions at a time by collecting herbs.

That said, I do love the cultists of Fervus... I mean, c'mon. They're lovable little lunatics.  As for Lunord/Helia, I personally kinda prefer Lunord's adepts. Sure, the solarii are beasts in combat compared to the adepts, but the adepts are great for large towns that are a bit more spread out. There are only so many guardhouses you can build before things get particularly pricy, and the guards themselves can't be relied upon to defeat anything more dangerous than a large rat. The adept's speed and their multiple teleport abilities let them get into (and, if needed, out of) dangerous situations like that and just keep order.

Generally I'll have plenty of other heavy hitters out there to smack the big boys around, but for keeping the peace and cleaning up the occasional troll/ratman raid, adepts are great.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2016, 10:09:55 am »

Something I always thought was funny was how in the slay the dragon mission you have to find the ancient mystical sword to slay the dragon, then when you find it you just have your blacksmiths copy the design and now even the wizards can kill it.
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2016, 06:16:54 pm »

As well as everyone else who doesn't use swords, yeah... Like the rangers firing miniature sword-arrows at the beast or whatnot.

What's more interesting are the levels that DO have a particular magic item that provides special skills and abilities, and then having some random gnome or cowardly rogue be the one to pick it up and gain massive power... Only to never use it.

Oh god, warriors of dischord.  Those brainless fuckers will never cease to perturb me.

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2016, 12:40:06 pm »

The main reason there aren't many mods yet seems to be that people don't know about the update, so interested people should spread the word.
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2016, 12:58:56 pm »

I picked up HD the minute I saw it on sale. I still have my old CD copy kicking around here somewhere. The modding support is really exciting.

Woot!  I'm not on Steam but GOG has the HD version also. Hopefully they get modding support also, or the mods are just file-replacement type.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2016, 01:16:55 pm »

The main reason there aren't many mods yet seems to be that people don't know about the update, so interested people should spread the word.

That, and the modding update apparently hasn't spread beyond Steam. If Good Old Games doesn't get it, that's excluding a large population of people who generally prefer older games.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2016, 03:30:41 am »

Boy I missed this game.  I think I still have the manual lying around somewhere.  I know I never would've thrown it away on purpose, at least.

Doing Brashnard's Ultimate Sphere of Power now.  Krolm isn't too bad, I honestly think KROOOOOLM is worth losing all of the other spells.  It's pretty much a nuclear button for invasions and even Oculi and shit can't stand up to it.

The real problem is that when there's barbarians around your rangers default to following and supporting, so they walk really slow and don't do any real exploring.

Also is it just me or do all the heroes sound really sarcastic when they collect items? 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 03:34:35 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2016, 04:50:38 am »

Krypta is nice in some situations, particularly on fun maps that have shadow beasts for the priestesses to tame

That is probably the map where objectively Krypta miiight be better. Since out of every monster in the game I personally think the Shadowbeasts are the most dangerous... well outside unique monsters.

Heck as good as Paladins are... the Warriors of Discord are kind of underrated personally...

As for Lunord/Helia, I personally kinda prefer Lunord's adepts. Sure, the solarii are beasts in combat compared to the adepts, but the adepts are great for large towns that are a bit more spread out

It works for me since I go for a heavy guard tower build (ALWAYS upgrade guard towers, they are nearly useless unupgraded). Yet what might Clinch Lunord as outright better and not just preference is that they get the better spells.

---

Then however is the choice between Elves, Dwarves, or Gnomes and between them... Elves are the losers in this match.

I think Dwarves might edge out as better because of their ballista towers which break the game's economy over its knee (as well Dwarves are amazing warriors in their own right).

Yet frankly... I just prefer Gnomes, they are much more fun to run versus Dwarves, especially in the expansion where they can be champions!

(In the sequel even though you don't have to chose... Dwarves are better so to speak due to how the game works. elves are superior bounty hunters.)

---

Then again I don't exactly like the sequel to SOME extent in terms of game balance. Yet that is because the last few missions...

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2016, 10:20:21 am »

Back when I first played the game I favoured gnomes over the elves and dwarves for their low cost, early access and ability to build. These days I favour gnomes or elves largely depending on if there are dragons on the map. If dragons then I spam gnomes because the little buggers are nearly impossible for dragonfire to hit so they make great cheap tanks while your other heroes get their stats up, and elves elsewhere because the boost they give marketplaces is godly once you get some trade posts up and running, even if they siphon some gold out of your heroes.

I also tend to prefer different gods depending on the enemies around. Krypta/Fervus are pretty good at dealing with enemies where lack of numbers is a problem, such as ALL THE GOBLINS type maps and skellies make great dragon fodder like gnomes, hellbears being more like bonus town guards with better stats. Agrella and Dauros are really nice when you need elite fighters, such as against the AI kingdoms, ratmen, yetis and minotaurs. Lunord and Helia are more matters of if you like rapid response or yet more tanky soldiers in addition to monks, warriors, paladins/warriors of discord, dwarves, I favour rapid response, my brother favours more tanks. In general we agree that either will do fine most of the time.

We used to really like Krolm back when we first played, and while we still think he's pretty strong we prefer the other gods, more numbers and variety in your available heroes and spells. Useful mostly because rangers and wizards will follow barbarians giving you nice little adventuring parties that can usually crush stuff.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2016, 10:56:04 am »

Rage of Krolm is nice because it's basically like casting Vigilance on every single unit you have, for the price of casting it once. Works quite well with rogueswarm, as rogues are reasonably cheap and very easy to call out to reward flags en masse. And, in the case of picking dwarves (which could be nice since you won't have access to defensive temples), it'll speed up both their dreadful movespeed and their powerful attacks. So there's that.

But yeah, generally speaking, I like going for the versatility of pantheistic religion rather than monotheistic.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2016, 11:00:41 am »

I'm a few days late, but Agrella is the best for one reason: if her temple gets attacked enough times, her followers flip their shit and become "stabgrellans". The healers will bum-rush every single enemy, and they'll be unstoppable. See, they get xp really fast by healing each other, which means they level up fast. When they die, they revive and lose a level unless they are at level 1. Suddenly, your healers are now better than the OP paladins or KROLM!-ed up barbarians.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2016, 02:54:08 am »

Elven treachery alone is why I hate elves the most.  These little shits, if you want my money so bad maybe you shouldn't constantly keep me from making any.
Shoes...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2016, 03:07:13 am »

Mind you I should say for all the people who are sad about Krypta

Agrella might be better... But I almost NEVER use them

Krypta and Fervus are so much cooler and kind of more fun. Yeah skeletons aren't strong but very few enemies have splash and later Krypta Sisters can learn Fireball if you get the library. As well spell wise Krypta still has their own resurrection spell, so you aren't losing out.

Fervus Cultists are kind of interesting as combatants because unlike most mages they actually have quite a bit of staying power.

It is probably a failing of its sequel that things went from "You know, some temples are better than others but really the choice is yours... your not hurting yourself by going for one strategy over the other" all the way to "Are you using Duros and Fervus? No? uhhh, might have issues" (Actually the three best temples in the sequel are: Fervus for Chaos Shield (Seriously the BEST spell in the game period and thus the best temple), Agrella for Resurrection (I think Krypta doesn't get one too... if they do they are tied), and Duros for the Paladins who are hands down the best class in the game and the only ones who level faster then any enemy can damage them...

Then again it doesn't help that temples are so hard to get and many of the temple heroes just cannot help you very well either. Agrella healers from Majesty 2 seem so amazing too (AoE heals) but you never get to really take advantage.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 03:10:34 am by Neonivek »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2016, 04:30:04 am »

I had one of Krypta's priestesses solo a dragon once. A low-level priestess.

How? The dragon went for the skeleton, the dragon's breath counts as a missile attack, and skeletons have a 95% chance to dodge missiles. In the off-chance it hit, Sister I'm-So-Edgy simply summoned a new one or, if it didn't kill the skeleton, heal it with life drains on the dragon.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2016, 04:34:04 am »

Lunord is much better for defense than Helia. Teleporting monks make best sentries.

PRAISE THE MOON \o/

(This is a thinly-veiled PTW)
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7