Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Majesty  (Read 12240 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Majesty
« on: July 08, 2012, 11:53:57 am »

Does anyone remember this gem of a game?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Recently Paradox released a HD version (and by HD they mean "high-resolution screen size options", not graphics.) which I've also just gotten. I've had Majesty for a long time; as a kid, this was one of my favorite games. Apparently Majesty 2 was also created, but most folks don't like it.

Anyway, Majesty is a kingdom creation game in which you cannot directly control your units ("Heroes"), but rather you bribe them to do things or you can hope they will do it on their own willpower. Although it's quite dated now, the graphics are very digestible. The AI for your units its superb, at least for the time; they will get into their own little parties, buy trinkets at your shops, and each have their own personalities. For example, Wizards are wusses until they get into high levels; the only thing you can rely on them to do is haul ass away from anything but the weakest enemies.

One of the other things I think is worth mentioning is the voice/sound work; possibly a little cheesy, but MUCH better then a lot of AAA titles today. The constant status updates of your adviser, the cries for reinforcements when your little warrior finds himself up against a brigade of goblins, the whispers of bliss as your Death Priestess' kick the bucket... it was all very memorable to me as a kid.

Oh, and it has dwarves.

Anyone else have any thoughts on Majesty?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 12:16:08 pm by Rex_Nex »

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
Re: Majesty
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 12:33:06 pm »

Was the first game I ever owned that wasn't some kind of homeschool learning game. Love it to death. Still got the gold edition that comes with both the original, and the northern expansion. Got Majesty 2 as well. Honestly I enjoyed it and don't think it's as bad as many people made it sound. The biggest problem I had with it was the fact that it lacked any freeplay options.

"But, I'm.. just.. a gnome.." ;_;

Oh God, so many memories of shouting at the enemy AI to stop screwing with my gnomes. When any other hero died, I'd just get pissed off at them. But losing a gnome was just depressing. Poor little guys already didn't fit in, and all they wanted to do was help...

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 02:23:17 pm »

just started playing M2 today. I loved the first one years ago.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 02:32:43 pm »

I never got gnomes, I thought them as pathetic subhuman freeloaders, taking up real estate with their filthy shacks. Also I sound like a fascist.

Also(again) elves are sinful hedonists. Dorfs are the only ones that don't have a negative effect. Of course, they do go out and get themselves killed almost as often as rouges...
Hello Hunam

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 02:34:57 pm »

Majesty was AWESOME.

I didn't hate Majesty 2 either, but it really seemed to have lost its way... Not a bad game, but a game that didn't achieve its full potential. I'll have to buy the expansions and revisit the game, to see if my opinion changes!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 02:44:54 pm by PrimusRibbus »
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 03:02:06 pm »

I don't really consider gnomes a negative effect; sure, the shanty towns look bad, but other then that... I think they are great, honestly, because early game you need the building power a dozen gnomes provide! They don't die too often unless you've lost all your heroes, either, because they run away from anything and everything until they hit champion.

I've been having loads of fun. Some combos are admittedly cheap; healers + fighters = walls of immortal flesh, mass death priestess' = walls of unending bone, babying a wizard with heal... fun stuff.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 03:04:40 pm by Rex_Nex »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 03:06:10 pm »

I absolutely loved this game.
What temples did you guys usually build?

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 03:28:19 pm »

I absolutely loved this game.
What temples did you guys usually build?
I usually build the 'good'(Healers, melee monks) track, but only because high-level healers can stop almost anything dead in it's tracks if it dares attack their temple. They will lose their revives, but a horde that may have well destroyed my kingdom quickly turns into a pile of bodies.
Hello Hunam

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 03:31:10 pm »

I wish I could go healers + krypta, they are, imho, the two best temples, with krolm not far behind.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 03:34:54 pm »

KROLMMMMMM KROLMMMM

I liked berserkers.  That temple ability was kewl too.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 03:48:37 pm »

Majesty 2 multiplayer was fun when I tried. I have Majesty on my mobile phone, it is pretty fun too.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 03:57:28 pm »

This looks pretty awesome :o
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 03:59:36 pm »

I tried Majesty 2 and sort of got bored. Can you guys guesstimate how much of this "liking Majesty 1 better than 2" is just nostalgia?

I'm wondering whether Majesty might be worth a purchase, since I'm fond of supporting different gameplay. I'll be reinstalling Majesty 2 to see if I get bored again :)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 04:06:30 pm »

Well let us know what bores you in Majesty 2 and I'll be honest about whether it is in the first Majesty :)

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 04:23:37 pm »

I'm playing the first majesty for the first time right now!

It's really, really fun, even if I kind of struggle with it occasionally. It's juts so great to not have to do things yourself, just flinging gold at enemies so other people kill them for you.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7