Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Pure, Clean, Uncut, Bordom  (Read 5642 times)

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
Re: Pure, Clean, Uncut, Bordom
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2012, 02:14:38 pm »

Embark in a terrifiying glacier with 0 embark points.
If you sutvive a week you win

That one is also easy, deconstruct wagon, make carpenter's workshop, make wooden training axe, chop down any trees, if part taiga, otherwise  use the wood to make a depot, wait until spring and elves, seise all goods, hold out until the next dwarven caravan, trade for a pick, wood, and more food.

Got anything else?

Just curious, but what are your Dwarves living on until they can steal food from a caravan?  The first caravan to arrive will be in the Autumn, and you have zero food until then.  Does anything actually live on a glacier?  There is certainly no water to drink.

Depends on where you embark, if its a taiga, then i could hopefully gather some food, and wood to make a still, and barrel and survive that. Otherwise, it just a case waiting for them to die, which is utterly boring.
The suggestion was to start on a glacier, not on tiaga.  I agree that waiting for them to die would be boring.  I was just wondering why you thought it was easy.

Basically, if you are bored with the game and cannot find anything at all in the forums to inspire you, then you need to do something else for a while.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Detahramet

• Bay Watcher
  • LIBERAL DWARF SQUAD! Hell yes, LDS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2012, 02:47:28 pm »

So long as you have 1 pick and 1 plump helmet, it is entirely pretty easy. Otherwise its a slow, boring death without the taiga with trees and berries.
Hail Kodkod, Goddess of Jam!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2012, 03:03:37 pm »

Dig to the blue metal!
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2012, 03:09:22 pm »

he. I said a glacier because is the most extreme, but if you think that you can survive in an terrifiyig biome (of any kind) whitout at least
a pick, go for it. You will be surprised.
then again, it depend of the type of evil wheater that you got, but is clearly not easy.
-
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2012, 03:18:51 pm »

Embark in a terrifiying glacier with 0 embark points.
If you sutvive a week you win
That one is also easy, deconstruct wagon, make carpenter's workshop, make wooden training axe, chop down any trees, if part taiga, otherwise  use the wood to make a depot, wait until spring and elves, seise all goods, hold out until the next dwarven caravan, trade for a pick, wood, and more food.

Got anything else?
Just curious, but what are your Dwarves living on until they can steal food from a caravan?  The first caravan to arrive will be in the Autumn, and you have zero food until then.  Does anything actually live on a glacier?  There is certainly no water to drink.
Depends on where you embark, if its a taiga, then i could hopefully gather some food, and wood to make a still, and barrel and survive that. Otherwise, it just a case waiting for them to die, which is utterly boring.
The suggestion was to start on a glacier, not on tiaga.  I agree that waiting for them to die would be boring.  I was just wondering why you thought it was easy.

Basically, if you are bored with the game and cannot find anything at all in the forums to inspire you, then you need to do something else for a while.
Actually ice wolves will spawn on evil glaciers, so you would just need to bludgeon one to death and you could technically survive. Of course it would be a challenge to kill it and then butcher it before it rose, but it would technically be possible.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Kibstable

• Bay Watcher
  • We didn't start the fire...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2012, 03:19:31 pm »

Try going back a few versions. like say 34.02 when vampires and undead were somewhat more likely to give you problems, or 34.05 (I think) when the naked kids cause trouble.  I think you may be onto something in that dwarves are now less prone to erratic behaviors than they used to be.
Also try using embark anywhere, then setup camp just on the edge of a human settlement near a necromancer tower, and before you unpause, lock all the doors...

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2012, 03:49:16 pm »

Above ground fortress is too simple.  Tell the elves to go f themselves by putting your entire fortress in a tree house.  It will be made of and shaped like tree, with fruits of workshops and living quarters.  If you run out of wood midway through, too bad, leave it alone until you can grow or trade some more.

If you're building it as a giant middle finger to all of elfdom, clearly the best approach to wood shortages is to steal more from the elves.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2012, 04:10:07 pm »

Above ground fortress is too simple.  Tell the elves to go f themselves by putting your entire fortress in a tree house.  It will be made of and shaped like tree, with fruits of workshops and living quarters.  If you run out of wood midway through, too bad, leave it alone until you can grow or trade some more.

If you're building it as a giant middle finger to all of elfdom, clearly the best approach to wood shortages is to steal more from the elves.

I never suggested what to offer for trade couldn't be nothing, or a sword in the gut.  Just that "Oh, it's too easy cause I ran out of wood and had to resort to the usual metal and stone construction" is BS... if you run out of wood, get some more or shut up and deal with an incomplete, exposed new section that might let a flying whatsit into the dining room.  Everything is easy if you only do the easy stuff the easy, safe way.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 04:13:15 pm by weenog »
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2012, 06:28:39 pm »

So long as you have 1 pick and 1 plump helmet, it is entirely pretty easy. Otherwise its a slow, boring death without the taiga with trees and berries.
Yes, well, that wouldn't be 0 embark points either, would it.   :P
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2012, 07:03:33 pm »

(Interesting embark-challenge discussion...  but in reply to OP...)

Decide upon a Megaproject of some kind.

I'm finally getting round to developing an (at least partially) operational game of Tetris within an embark context.  Which you'd think should be easy, but is taking a while to fine tune... Oh so many pumps!

ninja811

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2012, 07:14:49 pm »

Try going back a few versions. like say 34.02 when vampires and undead were somewhat more likely to give you problems, or 34.05 (I think) when the naked kids cause trouble.  I think you may be onto something in that dwarves are now less prone to erratic behaviors than they used to be.
Also try using embark anywhere, then setup camp just on the edge of a human settlement near a necromancer tower, and before you unpause, lock all the doors...
the fort that i had in 34.07 ended because all the kids that had no clothes started a trantrum spiral.

Snowdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2012, 07:30:42 pm »

Embark on a taiga with no seeds or plants brought with you. Its ok to bring meat and booze. Now you have to survive purely on meat you hunt and water from a lake, river, cavern or whatever.
*No picks
*No buying metal
*All food is hunted or gathered
*live above ground
*Optional: Everyone gets a pet bear.

Pistolero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2012, 08:36:02 pm »

Several posters have pointed out the obvious fact that the game is as hard as you want it to be. If you're finding it too easy, you have only yourself to blame. Why not find out what is the minimum number of embark points you can use to survive a year on a terrifying glacier? Or just check the challenges page of the wiki. Or better yet, come up with your own challenges.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2012, 09:55:43 pm »

I've got a idea. Always leave at least one, completely untrapped entrance to the fort, that cannot be closed at any time.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2012, 02:21:31 am »

Sup.

Some of the comments here seem to be tracking a little heat for you :).

Your question is interesting. Usually the chaps who ask this question, are playing safe - building forts which find ways to dodge exposing themselves to chance.

As a result life becomes boring. It is kinda like life in that regard, if you don't get out, there are few !!fun!! Things or even just fun things that can happen.

You seem to not be in that category. As I said - usually the people asking this question are playing safe, you seem to be genuinely bored.

For one, take a break.

Try a Switch to adventure mode for a bit, explore one of your forts.

By your own description - mega projects are tedious. This should probably tell you a lot about your state of mind/expectations. 

If all you are getting at the end of creating your vision is tedium, then either your vision is not invigorating, or the medium is too weak to contain it.

In essence you seem to have reached a mental point where you aren't finding fun in all the regular places. Based on your writing though, it seems more to do with what you want and expect than DF.

There is always a point where DF or any game feels pointless. You may have just reached it. Take a break, and just read stories about the game.

If you want I can chuck across an old save I was working on, making another morul. Got a few tedious skills out of the way, but a bunch more are left. Invasions off too.
Pages: 1 [2] 3