Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Siege, wont move from edge of map  (Read 1379 times)

The_Draf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Siege, wont move from edge of map
« on: July 08, 2012, 01:24:38 am »

Hi

So Im stuck with 30+ goblin batriders at the edge of my map, going after them with my 20 decently trained(Im not useing danger rooms) and equipped soldiers is not an option. I tired searching both the forum and the buggtracker for any solusion to this problem. I know other people are experiencing it to, but I have not found any real workaround for this problem.
I have several paths into my fortress, all of them are open. One via the main gate, one via my outdoors farm right next to the main gate and one across the other side of the map which leads down into my trap hallway. There is also another path into my base through the stairway ontop of an archery tower I built which is only accessible by fliers.
I am running LNP 1.3 useing the Ironhand graphics with DF 0.34.11 no mods installed.

Conan

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm running out of stone!
    • View Profile
Re: Siege, wont move from edge of map
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 01:52:45 am »

How long have they been waiting there? If you want to bait them send out some useless hauler in a squad w/o equipment by himself and they should attack.

The_Draf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 02:21:51 am »

Tried that, I sent one of my immigrants to his death. They killed him and stopped moving. I tried sending sending my 20 warriors they died horribly. I waited maybe 10 minutes.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 03:05:58 am »

pathing for flying mounts is a bit broken, which is why some people remove the EXOTIC_MOUNT tag from them. They'll leave by themself eventually
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

xpi0t0s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 05:26:35 am »

Drop some magma on them (using dfhack/liquids if you don't mind a bit of cheating).  Then watch as they run around on fire.  Loads of laughs.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 06:03:40 am »

remove the flier tag from the save raws?
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 07:22:10 am »

remove the flier tag from the save raws?
that might work, also check if the giant bats or whatever they're riding have tags like the ones in giant cave swallows, i can't recall right now... something to do with benign or something, it makes the mounts run away from your military like a wild animal...

Edit: I remember having the same problem with GCSwallows, removing the flyer didn't really work, I think it was back in 31.25 though...

The_Draf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 09:58:48 am »

Thanks for all your replies. I just waited them out. If I set EXOTIC MOUNTS to NO in my LNP launcher this will stop this kind of problems in the future right?

If I can hijack my own thread I would like to have your opinion on ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress. Im current just looking into it because of the reduced number of types of leather/thread/cheeze and so on. Does any other mod do that? Gettning a 25% fps boost late game seems realy nice.

Do you guys have any suggestion of mods which have useful functions like the one I mentioned above?

Also, when going through a list of dwarf how are they sorted? Is it possible to manipulate this?

I have also noted that my workshops sometimes get cluttered up with stuff being produced. Mostly the gem workshop and the smelter. Even though there are haulers idle they will not clear the workshop. Also noticed that sometimes haulers will leave bins in random places and never pick them up. The only way I found to solve these problem is to dump them and then reclaim them. Is there any better solution?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 10:40:54 am »

masterwork has always sounded like fun to me, I never tried it yet though. If you do try it, keep one thing in mind: It's a conversion mod, which means that it adds and changes so much that me and other people who don't play masterwork mod will be completely unable to help you in many cases

as to the clutter question: have you checked wheelbarrow settings? things may not get hauled due to to few/no wheelbarrows. Also, the stockpile might be full, no bins avalable, the stockpile in question (the one that should get it) may be set to only accept from certain sources etc. There is probably something obvious I'm overlooking too.

Dwarfs in the unit list are sorted according to profession, like crafter, miner/mason, farmer (herbalist, planter, etc) and other such things. animals in the animal screen are listed in the order on which they appeared on screen. So a caged animal you caught will be above just new born kittens even if you only tame it a season later. In the unit - pets screen, this order is reversed. At least that was how it was in 34.07, I didn't check if it changed yet

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 10:16:40 pm »

regarding bins and other containers, if your bin looks like "birchen bin #45" the number at the end is the stockpile that it's assigned to, it means that the bin is used in that stockpile and you just need to wait for a dwarf to haul it there, if it has no number the bin is not used by any stockpile...