Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SOLVED: Woodcutter won't cut  (Read 3598 times)

DwarfPrincess

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
SOLVED: Woodcutter won't cut
« on: July 07, 2012, 08:06:23 pm »

This seems to be a fairly common problem, but all of the solutions I've found aren't working here.

I have a skilled woodcutter with only wood cutting labor enabled.  I have a bronze battle axe sitting in a stockpile that is not forbidden and just made an iron one in case it was a fluke with the bronze.  The trees I've selected are accessible.  I've tried giving the labor to someone else and they won't do it either.  I've tried removing the designation and reselecting trees to chop.  I've tried doing these in all sorts of orders.  The dwarf is ecstatic but is sitting there with no job.  Help me please!!! I keep having to buy wood from caravans which is ridiculous.   :'(
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 09:45:33 pm by DwarfPrincess »

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Woodcutter won't cut
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 08:07:39 pm »

Elven brain parasites! I TOLD YOU ALL! I told you they existed!

You sure they arent just sleeping, on break, partying, etc?
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

DwarfPrincess

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 08:11:13 pm »

Status is no job.  I'm going to have to go with you on the elven brain parasites.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 08:26:41 pm »

Do you have any woodcutters in the military? Woodcutting-military dwarves, similar to those with hunting or mining enabled, tend to not only break themselves but they can cause extra picks, axes, or crossbows to be claimed. Does the dwarf actually have the axe in their inventory? Is the dwarf assigned to a burrow or do you have a military alert confining them? That could cause them to not leave the burrow and thus not cut the trees. Lastly have you double checked that the area is accessible and wasn't blocked off by something stupid like a removed ramp/stair, a tree growing, or something similar? There are many times when people are sure that an area is accessible only to notice something stupid like a locked door when they double-checked.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

DwarfPrincess

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 08:38:00 pm »

Ok so he was in millitary.  I removed him from his squad, but there's no change.  He does not have any weapons equiped, but will not pick up the unclaimed battle axe.  The trees are accessible as there are other dwarves walking around them.

DwarfPrincess

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 08:43:59 pm »

Ok update, This could also be why my hunters haven't been hunting.  I removed them from their squad as well, but no change.  Everyone is still just sitting there.  hunters have crossbows and quivers equiped and I have plenty of bolts in my ammo stockpile.  Are these guys never going to work again because I had them chase a goblin off?

Conan

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm running out of stone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 09:18:15 pm »

Check the military screen and check the equipment of every military unit who equips battle axes/melee; they may have been claimed by units that are not active.

Check the ammunition allocated to hunters in the military screen under "f" i think. May be set too low, or all the bolts already claimed by your marksdwarf squad

DwarfPrincess

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 09:44:56 pm »

You're a genius!! Thank you! thank you! thank you! completely disbanded my archer squad and made sure my others were only using swords now I have people hunting and felling trees. Yay! My dwarves will live to fight another day. :D

Conan

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm running out of stone!
    • View Profile
Re: SOLVED: Woodcutter won't cut
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 12:30:07 am »

You're welcome  :D

By the way you don't have to disband your archer squad, all you have to do is assign ammunition manually or increase the amount allocated to hunters, and lower the amount assigned to archers. That way you don't have to reform your marksdwarf squad when a vile force of !!FUN!! arrives.