Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 111

Author Topic: You are King III: OOC thread  (Read 92475 times)

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
Re: You are King III: OOC thread
« Reply #1515 on: November 02, 2012, 12:12:59 pm »

* filiusenox high-fives Tiruin.

Finally, someone WITH some GUTS.
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: November 02, 2012, 12:14:41 pm »

* filiusenox high-fives Tiruin.

Finally, someone WITH some GUTS.
I'm afraid I'm going to loose them one way or another.  :P

No, I don't make typos.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: November 02, 2012, 08:27:06 pm »

Everything below is subject to change.

This is the first draft of the mercenary changes, which are designed to make it worthwhile to hire mercenaries, and to show the true difference between a professional army and the feudal armies, mostly constituted of levies taken from the peasantry, serving for the landed lords.

The ambusher upgrade has been changed (this should have been done long ago, I'm just making it official now).

Mercenaries now have access to unique upgrades, called Branches and sub-branches, which are only accessible to them. All these upgrades cost 1,5d. To upgrade mercenaries, one must first purchase a branch, which can then be upgraded into a sub-branch. These stack, count as only one upgrade, and have an upkeep of 1,5d. This effectively allows mercenaries to have an equivalent of four upgrades in total, while paying only the upkeep of three - thus making it easier for mercenary captains to make profits. However, hiring mercenaries is complicated; since captains have no manpower available directly, they must rely on guilds, which means recruiting a mercenary may at first cost more, or force the captain to go on a mission. Lords wishing to hire mercenaries can contact guilds and bands roaming the land, but they are costly and the other side can use them too.

Landed lords cannot hire mercenaries. If a mercenary captain receives land, he may found a mercenary guild, which can continue to hire mercenaries. He will not, however, receive any income from this land; it will be entirely used to pay his men's upkeep or, if there is surplus, go to waste somehow. Of course, a mercenary captain may also choose to become a lord, in which case he will be able to convert his troops into upgraded normal troops, with new upgrades of his choice (Heavy II and archer II count as two upgrades each; the third ranks are not available to convert in). This is more for balance than for IC reasons.

Mercenaries can be upgraded in one month, which means that they can be upgraded and used immediately after in any situation UNLESS THE GM SPECIFIES OTHERWISE (in the case of a siege or in the middle of a campaign, for example).

Note: Priests can hire Mercenaries, but only upgrade them in the Templar Branch. Mercenaries can use all three branches.

The following upgrade has been rewritten:

Ambusher: +1 to ambushing supply trains, allows roll to ambush enemy forces (on success, strength bonus of 20/40/60 %). An ambush must be performed from a hidden initial position - ie woods, hills, marshes... Common sense will determine if an army can ambush (and the GM's common sense is superior to the player's at all times)

Soldier branch: +1 strength / Tactician upgrade
Soldier sub-branch 1: Elite fighters: +2 strength / Can negate terrain bonuses (10% * Number of units with the upgrade, up to 100% [50% if assaulting a wall])
Soldier sub-branch 2: Siege engineers: Can build temporary siege engines for a reduced cost (-50% cost, lasts only the duration of a siege) and repair bridges for free in a logistics roll (d10 - any other bonus in logistics - number of siege engineers = number of weeks). The number of units with this upgrade is the maximum number of temporary siege engines that can be built.
Soldier sub-branch 3: Cavalry: Standard cavalry upgrade.

Ranger branch: Ambusher upgrade / Logistics bonus (applies only if all the units involved have this upgrade)
Ranger sub-branch 1: Skirmishers: Archer upgrade and +1 strength on the offensive
Ranger sub-branch 2: Wild warriors: Additional logistics bonus. Weather and terrain have no effect on logistics.
Ranger sub-branch 3: Night warriors: Can attempt an ambush during the night even without an hiding point, and said ambush can be attempted on the offensive (attacking a camp in the middle of the night, for example) with a -1.

Templar branch: +2 strength. +4 strength when fighting Heathens.
Templar sub-branch 1: Holy Warriors: +2 strength when fighting under the orders of a priest of some sorts.
Templar sub-branch 2: Swords of Gods: Receive a 50% strength bonus when fighting a stronger army. This bonus cannot make them more powerful than the opposing army. Only applies to units with this upgrade.
Templar sub-branch 3: Champions of the Gods: Cavalry upgrade. +2 strength.
Note: Templars are a special branch, which requires specific quests to become available. All upgrades in this branch cost 2,5d and the initial upgrade has a 2,5d upkeep.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: November 02, 2012, 10:09:36 pm »

Ambusher: +1 to ambushing supply trains, allows roll to ambush enemy forces (on success, strength bonus of 20/40/60 %). An ambush must be performed from a hidden initial position - ie woods, hills, marshes... Common sense will determine if an army can ambush (and the GM's common sense is superior to the player's at all times)
Yay for an ability I have a discount for!

Boo for not spending the use of it earlier and now I know why Tari asked me for a high price.

Also, siege.

Edit: If anyone can handle adwarf's action in addition to mine, that would be fine. Take your time though :D

Double Edit:

Bleagh DX

Ultimatum + unknown forces that I have other than my levy, PG and Trent's people...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 04:54:13 am by Tiruin »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: November 03, 2012, 07:30:02 am »

@micelus: Sigurd was talking about not razing/attacking the fields of Northwatch due to the debt he had with Renart, as well as sparing some people during the attack, remember? That's the reason he wanted to command the attack on the keep, if I remember well. :P
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: November 03, 2012, 07:33:02 am »

Shoot, can I jump in?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: November 03, 2012, 07:34:54 am »

What are you looking to do in the game, Sheb? Any objectives in particular?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: November 03, 2012, 07:37:06 am »

Fight the Haegar, and play as some kind of errant knight at the beginning. Then, I'm in discussion with Ardas to create and lead a Knightly Order dedicated to protecting the Kingdom.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: November 03, 2012, 07:42:56 am »

Fight the Haegar, and play as some kind of errant knight at the beginning. Then, I'm in discussion with Ardas to create and lead a Knightly Order dedicated to protecting the Kingdom.

I think you're too late for the first three words. :P

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: November 03, 2012, 07:45:51 am »

I'll be just in time to avenge your death though. :p Or to kill you with my own hands if you surrender. :p

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: November 03, 2012, 07:48:15 am »

I laugh at your denial.

Haha.

I laugh at hope.

Haha.

Thank you for implying the worst variables.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: November 03, 2012, 03:51:28 pm »

@micelus: Sigurd was talking about not razing/attacking the fields of Northwatch due to the debt he had with Renart, as well as sparing some people during the attack, remember? That's the reason he wanted to command the attack on the keep, if I remember well. :P

Yes? If you're asking why I didn't get Sigurd to just say that then its because I don't think I have actual control over him; he's a GM NPC. Or do you mean why I'm trying to get Northwatch to surrender? In that case, taking it is a waste of time.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: November 03, 2012, 04:36:11 pm »

@micelus: No, I'm trying to remember people of fluff. Sigurd said he'd spare some people and the fields of Northwatch due to the debt he has to Renart.

That was mostly to soothe Tiruin, who was going bonkers over the whole matter.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: November 04, 2012, 01:13:54 am »

We're solving our problems with diplomacy and compromise. This game is weird.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: November 04, 2012, 01:36:19 am »

We'd get to chop each other up someday - when regiments aren't hard to come by. XD
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 111