Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 111

Author Topic: You are King III: OOC thread  (Read 92270 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are King III: OOC thread
« Reply #945 on: August 26, 2012, 03:41:37 am »

The Status of the Inquisition
Looks good, yeah.

I was planning on making a minor noble from another land (not one on the map), who's trying to essentially play "puppet master", and control people without them realizing it.
You have to be based in the Kingdom of Windheath, unfortunately. Living outside of the kingdom leads to single-player gameplay- the idea is to cram everyone together and watch them bump together.

The nobility is fairly well covered as it is, really. But there's still plenty of room for puppet masters, I think. You could serve as a courtier to one of the kingdom's nobles, whispering advice in their ear, manipulating things from behind the scenes. Of course, folks might object- violently- to your attempts to do so. But that's the whole point! I mean, look at me. Played a crotchety old priest, got thrown out a window by a noble who was fed up with my self-righteous attitude. And that just led to a whole mess of !!FUN!!
Long Live United Forenia!

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #946 on: August 26, 2012, 06:00:45 am »

I meant that I came from another place, but I left that place, and came to Windheath.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: August 26, 2012, 05:20:16 pm »

I was planning on making a minor noble from another land (not one on the map), who's trying to essentially play "puppet master", and control people without them realizing it.

Do you already have 10 of those?

While I am not a GM, I do believe outlanders are vetoed. As far as has been established thus far, travel between the known world and other regions is either not known of or altogether impossible as far as the current means of transportation go.

I am a GM, and outlanders from the rest of Iitu (the planet, and no I didn't name it) are vetoed.  You can come from any land on the map - Adranic, Altanic, Eldanic, Haegar, Duluk, Saelradian, Ralkarian, Ampyrian or even Selenid.  The important thing is that you start and largely remain in Windheath.  If characters are required to go outside of Windheath or its immediate neighbours, that will likely be a result of a major event such as a crusade or foreign invasion (i.e. lots of players will be getting involved).  Otherwise, gameplay remains within the country and its immediate neighbours.

There's not much reason to come from beyond the Blessed Lands, actually.  There are plenty of cultural archetypes to choose from and most of the cultures are deliberately unwritten so players can write them.  See the Lore Thread for details.  I imagine you can accomplish most of what you want with those lands, but the rule against outlanders is to keep things within the scope of the game world and partly to prevent any visitors from the Storm Coast turning up...

Landed nobles are more or less taken up, but spending a character point on the Noble trait still grants you the legal right to raise a personal guard regiment and the ability to marry higher nobility.  I'd rule that to be a Baron or higher you need to spend a point on Noble; lay knights don't need to spend a point on being of noble blood and personage.  That said, you can always spend the point on something else and be a non-noble (or bastard noble) courtier - or disenfranchised noble, like my own character.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: August 26, 2012, 05:52:36 pm »

A point only really needs to be spent if you want to start with land - which is now impossible, anyway. The rank of the title doesn't matter, it's what comes with it that's important.

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #949 on: August 26, 2012, 08:13:50 pm »

Player: Kytuzian
Position: Courtier and Mercenary Captain
Full name: Anakyrto Vlepo O Athiktos
Bio: Anakyrto is from Ralkarian. Seeking a new life, his desire to accomplish soemthing and the lack of potential of his old homeland, Anakyrto left to travel the world. Before he did, he stole some money, and used
some of it to bribe some soldiers to follow him. Over the months he was traveling with them, the soldier and Anakyrto grew closer, and no longer followed him just because of money. Loyal, however, would be a strech.

He arrived in Windheath because he had heard of the new king, and that was always a unique oppurtunity to control a kingdom. Anakyrto stopped in the area just southeast of Stormstead, south of the Arendal River, a
location he hoped would be close enough to keep tabs on the kingdom without being suspicious. Idealy, he would be able to gain a small piece of land, large enough for a manor, but not too big. From there he could
start to take over other pieces of land, businesses, and villages without anyone noticing. Short term, he needs to find people he can trust to do anything he wants.

He is not bad at anything, but neither is he good at anything. Anakyrto spends most of his time reading books or practicing his archery, although he is barely above average when it comes to archery.

Anakyrto is 27, has dark brown, but not quite black, hair and fair, but lightly tanned skin, and green eyes. He stands about 5 feet 8 inches (157cm), and strong, but not as muscled as a warrior.

Traits or resources: 1 Unit of Troops, 1 Diplomacy (Charisma), 1 Ducat

How's that?

Kestrel_6

• Bay Watcher
  • The goddamn Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: August 26, 2012, 08:53:23 pm »

Player: Kytuzian
Position: Courtier and Mercenary Captain
Full name: Anakyrto Vlepo O Athiktos
Bio: Anakyrto is from Ralkarian. Seeking a new life, his desire to accomplish soemthing and the lack of potential of his old homeland, Anakyrto left to travel the world. Before he did, he stole some money, and used
some of it to bribe some soldiers to follow him. Over the months he was traveling with them, the soldier and Anakyrto grew closer, and no longer followed him just because of money. Loyal, however, would be a strech.

He arrived in Windheath because he had heard of the new king, and that was always a unique oppurtunity to control a kingdom. Anakyrto stopped in the area just southeast of Stormstead, south of the Arendal River, a
location he hoped would be close enough to keep tabs on the kingdom without being suspicious. Idealy, he would be able to gain a small piece of land, large enough for a manor, but not too big. From there he could
start to take over other pieces of land, businesses, and villages without anyone noticing. Short term, he needs to find people he can trust to do anything he wants.

He is not bad at anything, but neither is he good at anything. Anakyrto spends most of his time reading books or practicing his archery, although he is barely above average when it comes to archery.

Anakyrto is 27, has dark brown, but not quite black, hair and fair, but lightly tanned skin, and green eyes. He stands about 5 feet 8 inches (157cm), and strong, but not as muscled as a warrior.

Traits or resources: 1 Unit of Troops, 1 Diplomacy (Charisma), 1 Ducat

How's that?

Have you heard about those Sirenna Assassins from Ralkarian lands? I hear that there may be one in Windheath...

Speaking of such, I was thinking of a Character Development moment, where a relative of Karas from Ralkarian lands comes to Windheath, in search of an assassin wielding a Ralkarian Rapier, who must be the one that left.

Or maybe not, i'll need a GM to approve. Probably
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 09:19:39 pm by Kestrel_6 »
Kestrel, ITS A TRAP! It's luring you into false security! DON'T FALL FOR IT!!
Tomb of Horrors can pretty much be summarized by "ackbar.jpg"

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: August 26, 2012, 09:37:27 pm »

Quick post before bed.  Kestrel: If Karas goes ahead with that duel, fair warning - it will be a lethal one.  Lose it and your character will die.

Hence the option to still walk away.  If you don't though, here's a free hint: Once the duel does start, think outside the box and try to find ways to tip the scales in your favour beyond just trying to kill the other guy as quickly as possible.  The odds will be against you anyway.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Kestrel_6

• Bay Watcher
  • The goddamn Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: August 26, 2012, 09:44:58 pm »

I meant some kinda duel where he gives me my stuff, and then it's an even fight.

But would I be able to walk away to the village?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: August 27, 2012, 05:33:43 am »

I meant some kinda duel where he gives me my stuff, and then it's an even fight.

But would I be able to walk away to the village?

That's what you meant, but it's the only way you're getting that sword back through duelling.  And yes, you can still make it to the village if you escape half a dozen archers.  Bandits, after all.

Still, if you're scared off by the prospect you're just going to either have to give up on your mother's sword or try a new tack.

Kestrel_6

• Bay Watcher
  • The goddamn Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: August 27, 2012, 05:38:08 am »

I now have a workable plan. But as I remember, i didn't get any weapons.

And GM's, is it okay if I introduce an NPC Sirenna assassin from Ralkarian lands to talk to my current one? It'll provide plenty of character development, and I promise the death count will be under three digits. And as a bonus, he won't be here that long, just to establish contact with Karas.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 05:43:41 am by Kestrel_6 »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: August 27, 2012, 05:45:19 am »

I now have a workable plan.

And GM's, is it okay if I introduce an NPC Sirenna assassin from Ralkarian lands to talk to my current one? It'll provide plenty of character development, and I promise the death count will be under three digits.
And as a bonus, he won't be here that long, just to establish contact with Karas.
't ain't none of my beeswax, but that's a risky path yer venturing down. You're already on a single-player quest, I wouldn't start have single-player conversations.

Here's what you should do. Go complain to whatshisface that the land is infested by bandits, who roam it with such impunity that you were attacked twice by the same group. Get an army behind you, and then go get back yer silly sword.
Long Live United Forenia!

Kestrel_6

• Bay Watcher
  • The goddamn Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: August 27, 2012, 05:52:49 am »

It isn't some silly sword. It is a Ralkarian Rapier, with a Shark leather hilt, and steel blade. It was also his dead mothers' blade, and not only is it the weapon to prove to a Sirenna assassin that he is a Sirenna, it holds... 'emotional' value.

But that plan I like. My first idea was to 'extract' the info from that villager, and single-handedly kill every mofo in their lair, get my stuff, and kill BYS. Then my plan was to avoid the roads and travel with a ranger, locate their lair, and kill every single mofo.

But I like your idea. It has a flair to it. And then the Black Arrows' annihilation will be a minor footnote to the death of a notable merchant, Ban Yi Soong.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #957 on: August 27, 2012, 07:35:41 am »

Laptop with broken charger = no big updates from me for a while.  So in other words expect the d
Same amount of posts and continue to forget I exist.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: August 27, 2012, 10:29:12 am »

I now have a workable plan. But as I remember, i didn't get any weapons.

And GM's, is it okay if I introduce an NPC Sirenna assassin from Ralkarian lands to talk to my current one? It'll provide plenty of character development, and I promise the death count will be under three digits. And as a bonus, he won't be here that long, just to establish contact with Karas.

Going to hafta veto that one.  You wanna have a companion, find a PC one to accompany you (or at least one controlled by a PC).  If a GM decides to introduce an NPC Ralkarian assassin they will, but that's up to them.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: August 27, 2012, 11:01:16 am »

Kytuzian: What are your plans for your character? Although I am not absolutely sure that this is necessary, since with YaK 3's emphasis on politics and court intrigue a courtier would have plenty of things to do, your starting position seems... Suspiciously isolated.

Although a solo quest will happen from time to time and the GMs are alright with that, we try in this game to keep the players in a relatively limited space (aka the kingdom) so they'll eventually have to bump into each others eventually. YaK 2 had the problem that there was basically no limitations on where the players could go, and the result was a dozen solo quests while three people (Ardas, Taricus and I) were the only ones really interacting, and Taricus barely. We don't want any more 'singleplayer campaigns' in this one.

Kestrel: Well, we have allowed NPC owned by players in the past. Thing is, they generally took the form of someone's lieutenant/commander of personal guard, and were used mainly to have someone in charge if the player took military actions while his character was busy doing something else. The problem with the NPC you want is that it has really no use like the one I mentioned, or any use at all. It would really be a "possibility to discuss with someone IC even if my char is alone" type of thing, so like Iituem I'm gonna veto that.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 111