Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 111

Author Topic: You are King III: OOC thread  (Read 92179 times)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are King III: OOC thread
« Reply #735 on: August 09, 2012, 11:27:57 am »

@Discussion: Korean and chinese naval warfare was more interesting at that time.

I'm sorry, but I'll take cannons over men in small boats any day. I'm not a mariner or interested in navy, so whatever.
Believe me. Cannons were really, really innacurate in their earlier throes and their range was short due to the lack of barrel rifling. They basically started hitting after boarding was already underway. The men in small boats could actually safely approach larger vessels, only facing real danger when they got really close.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: August 09, 2012, 11:32:47 am »

not in 12-13C, wyich is the technological setting for us. BTW, people who write about plate armour:  rather ill-fitting with the idea of the setting, but since it does not provide any real advantage in combat, it can be overlooked.

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: August 09, 2012, 11:34:56 am »

Ringmail and scale armor!

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #738 on: August 09, 2012, 11:37:29 am »

Can someone tell me why we're suddenly talking about cannons over boarding crews? xD

Naval warfare in Korea in the 1400s and 1500s was quite advanced. To prevent boarding crews, for example, some ships had ironclad "decks" that were spiked and covered with cloth to give Japanese crews rappeling from their higher ships onto the "deck". Of course, they died gruesomely.
Simple "line battle" techniques were thought of too. The Swan Formation was a line battle form where the cannon bearing ships were spread in an arc and fired en masse until the enemy is routed or dead.
The cannons of the East were rather accurate and also had range: I think the larger ones flew a mile or more, and short ones half that. Also, the square junk-style sails were more efficient than the billowing sails we are used to in western ships*.

Anyways, frankly navies in YaK III's age are boring, which is disappointing; also why I tried and failed to add cannon warships to YaK II. xD Romance of the cannon, you might say.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: August 09, 2012, 11:39:22 am »

not in 12-13C, wyich is the technological setting for us. BTW, people who write about plate armour:  rather ill-fitting with the idea of the setting, but since it does not provide any real advantage in combat, it can be overlooked.
Yeah around the 12-13th Centuries even korean and chinese sea warfare was boring.

Also, what about plate armor? I assumed it had already been created since I had seen halberds somewhere in the game. I thought we were at mid to late medieval times. :P

@Skyrunner: And there were also hwachas :3
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: August 09, 2012, 11:44:33 am »

Plate armor was more end of the 14th century. Full plate armor anyway.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: August 09, 2012, 11:47:44 am »

Mainly, full plate armour is generally showing off how rich and powerful you are. I mean, if you can afford that kind of thing, imagine what else you could've theoretically spent that money on :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: August 09, 2012, 11:55:05 am »

Plate armor in the 13th century consisted of coats of plates, beware not to mistake it for the much more advanced Gothic plate armor, which is the image often associated with 'full plate armor'. While their use become more widespread all the way up to the advent of reliable firearms, they were only used by nobility and elite troops, such as a heavy cavalry and a Lord's personal guard/retainers; that was also the case for the more successful mercenaries and officers.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 11:58:48 am by Azthor »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: August 09, 2012, 11:59:17 am »

Plate armor in the 13th century consisted of coats of plates, beware not to mistake it for the much more advanced Gothic plate armor.
The Byzantines had also "borrowed" the idea of Lamellar Armor from the Eastern around that time, and lamellar was very efficient in doing its work, aside from looking pretty spiffy.

And yeah, surface-hardened plate armor was very efficient and continued to be so even after muskets were introduced, but they were expensive, as were horses. When firearms became reliable, armor was mostly confined to generals and high-ranking officers, rich people etc.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 12:01:32 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #744 on: August 09, 2012, 02:00:09 pm »

Anyone else realize everyone's getting archers?  As the guy who specializes in archers it makes me not want to get archers since we've already got tons of them, and I don't want to get anything else because it lowers my strength bonus if I was leading them both.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: August 09, 2012, 03:52:41 pm »

I didn't. I got vikings.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: August 09, 2012, 03:59:05 pm »

I got them because I get a bonus for defending.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #747 on: August 09, 2012, 04:15:20 pm »

That's what I suspected, but isn't there another thing for defending?  It seems there's no point in picking it since archer's get a lot of other bonuses..
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: August 09, 2012, 04:50:35 pm »

That's what I suspected, but isn't there another thing for defending?  It seems there's no point in picking it since archer's get a lot of other bonuses..

Considering Archer and Disciplined are the two most cost effective unit traits for defending a fortress and both can be stacked on top of a single unit, I'd say no, there isn't.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 06:16:49 pm by Azthor »

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: August 09, 2012, 05:14:57 pm »

It seems I am a bit too late for this argument, but I simplly MUST be involved
Quote from: Caellath
[quote author=Ardas link=topic=112908.msg3513369#msg3513369 date=1344529523
Believe me. Cannons were really, really innacurate in their earlier throes and their range was short due to the lack of barrel rifling. They basically started hitting after boarding was already underway. The men in small boats could actually safely approach larger vessels, only facing real danger when they got really close.
I have to disagree with this, rifling didn't come around for some time AFTER the cannon became the major weapon of naval warfare, simply look at the spanish armada to see, true you had to get close to fire the cannon acurately, but that was no matter since you could still easily keep away from a voading attack, cannons wereused to sink ships as a major naval war weapon long before rifling arrived.

And as for plate armour, it was still quite populairly used during the golden age of piracy, and you don't see the pirates of the Carribean jumping around in thick armour, thats becaue armour was far too heavy on a rolling ship to be able to fight efectivly. If you want cool medieval naval warfare, then look to china, they made wide use of archers and fire ships along with boarding attacks, and ramming a ship with another flaming suicide ship is coolar than any ohter kind of ramming in my opinion
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 06:28:12 pm by Deny »
In denial of sanity...

and insanity
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 111