Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 111

Author Topic: You are King III: OOC thread  (Read 92170 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are King III: OOC thread
« Reply #720 on: August 09, 2012, 05:38:54 am »

I'd saymagic could go Arcanum-style, where magic screws with tech, and vice versa.

Elves gonna elf

We'd still be Windheath (Then hopefully the Second Adranic Kingdom)

and they ae still around. Just laying low.

Elvs are not elves. Elvs will almost never elf if they can help it.

Also, I, um, don't think this game is set in Iitu, though I could be wrong.
Long Live United Forenia!

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: August 09, 2012, 05:42:37 am »

I'd saymagic could go Arcanum-style, where magic screws with tech, and vice versa.

Elves gonna elf

We'd still be Windheath (Then hopefully the Second Adranic Kingdom)

and they ae still around. Just laying low.

Elvs are not elves. Elvs will almost never elf if they can help it.

Also, I, um, don't think this game is set in Iitu, though I could be wrong.

It is in Iitu, but takes place in another continent far apart from the original one.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: August 09, 2012, 08:39:10 am »

Since YaK 3 is probably in the beginning of its lifetime and I'll be really disappointed if it ended in 2012, I don't think there's really need of speaking of YaK 4. Besides, industrial setting is absolutely inadapted to YaK. The earlier we could start is roman era, the later would be late colonial.

Also, since I think some people may have missed it, post all of this season's recruitment now, even if you've done it before. If I roll summer and it hasn't been posted on the thread, sucks to be you, you'll have to wait 'till fall for the recruitment.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: August 09, 2012, 08:55:39 am »

Spring: Work under Gerund Arondson, but for the Spring, Talinth chooses to train his First Trait (the weapon mastery).
Posting in this thread just in case. Also, I also was reading YaK II and I agree this game (III) is well-structured and solid compared to its predecessor. In fact, I also believe it'll take a good time until there is the need to talk about a Yak 4 or IV (are we taking the Pentium route here? :P).
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: August 09, 2012, 09:03:17 am »

Spoiler: Rectify Spring Orders (click to show/hide)

Basically, hiring just one more infantry regiment and upgrading my PG.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: August 09, 2012, 09:14:58 am »

Dwarmin, do you mind if I place the marriage feast as the first thing of summer?

Season change is probably happening in two days, anyway.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #726 on: August 09, 2012, 09:19:21 am »

Proposal: Ships include sailors, and to make them actually be able to be of use in combat, you must load it with a soldier regiment, which has to be either archers or infantry. Perhaps catapults can be loaded too, or more than one regiment for the larger ships. This better justifies the inordinately high cost of making a single ship, and decreases the inherent disadvatages making ships incur, especially throwing away large sums of money on unsure naval battles.

Also, ships have no upkeep or negliable upkeep, and the cost is taken from the soldiers themselves as part of their normal 1d upkeep.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: August 09, 2012, 09:21:36 am »

Where is adwarf goddamit?
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: August 09, 2012, 09:21:46 am »

Sky, that's called the marine upgrade.

Besides, you don't need soldiers to ram another ship :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #729 on: August 09, 2012, 10:57:27 am »

Sky, that's called the marine upgrade.

Besides, you don't need soldiers to ram another ship :P
Uh... Please elaborate on the first sentence?

The second: battles weren't decided by ramming, they were decided by the soldiers whacking each other with glorified clubs until one side surrenders. I don't think that having the 'sailor' be replaced by any soldier unit both makes more sense and also is better gameplay wise. Otherwise, I might ironically end up not having any ships at all because of the opportunity cost.

Besides, I don't think a ship and sailor cost as much as a full regiment of soldiers.

Oh wait, do you mean loading the soldiers? Making the ships hold upgraded soldiers arguably makes moresense than carracks and line ships, particularly because the latter two make somewhere around zero sense in a cannonless world. The rough technological equivalent of YaK III is said to be 4~15C. At that time there was no gunpowder, and like I said naval battles were pretty much decide by soldier killing soldier.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: August 09, 2012, 11:19:05 am »

Naval battles were more about boarding in the beginnings of naval warfare, and although cannons already existed and were used in Europe circa the 14th century, their widespread use started around the middle 15th century.

And frankly, the first naval cannons were very innacurate and before rifling was created they were generally used only until the ships got close enough for boarding action.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: August 09, 2012, 11:20:30 am »

Naval battles in medieval times are boring. Ram'em, board'em, sink'em, whatever, as long as someone keeps our shores secure.

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: August 09, 2012, 11:22:39 am »

Flaming arrows... Yawn
Ramming? Boooring.
Hijacking? Sheesh.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: August 09, 2012, 11:25:23 am »

I'm sorry, but I'll take cannons over men in small boats any day. I'm not a mariner or interested in navy, so whatever.

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: August 09, 2012, 11:26:52 am »

I'm sorry, but I'll take cannons over men in small boats any day. I'm not a mariner or interested in navy, so whatever.

Me too.

I mean : Massive balls of iron or lead crushing into wood. Awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 111