Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 111

Author Topic: You are King III: OOC thread  (Read 92153 times)

Pandemix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are King III: OOC thread
« Reply #630 on: August 07, 2012, 09:54:18 am »

I'm thinking about having my char being a officer in the rangers, however, still maintaining his noble title and going to court with the wish of more support for him and his units. So he is actually a knight in the service of the rangers commanding his units.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: August 07, 2012, 11:10:51 am »

Considering that the ranger captain is on super happy fun fun troll hunt, maybe you can be commander, after he dies of course.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: August 07, 2012, 12:28:45 pm »

Oh, I just remembered something. After my character starts to save his (most probably) hard-earned crowns, how much would it cost for him to recruit people from his lands and get them to be properly equipped and riding worgs?

Would worg-riders be considered equal to a heavy cavalry upgrade for troops? If new rules had to be implemented, I'd rather pay a more elevated price and get a slight bonus compared to common cavalry.

Edit: Not that I'm planning to do it. Noooo, I'm just curious. Maybe.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 12:44:23 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: August 07, 2012, 11:37:25 pm »

"You're a liaison then? Well...the problem is, that Selenid bastard - excuse my tongue - left along that road over there as transactions were...taking too long. He is the only horse trader, as far as we know, that dares go into Windheath to deliver the animals.

[2] The road is a winding one, leading apparently to local villages rather than the main trade route, [6] though a little conversation in the fort later gets you more information.  The track in question leads off into the fens at one point, and if one knew their way around one could use the path as a way to get to some of the old smugglers' coves on the coast or even across to Haegar lands without being seen.  If one did not know their way around, though, they could easily get lost in the bog.

God Speed, Karas.  :P

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: August 07, 2012, 11:48:07 pm »

Come on, fellows. It's all well and good to say something might not work, but then you should at least present an alternative.

-As mentioned, sergeant is a rather low rank to play; perhaps beefing yourself up to a knight (following in your father's footsteps) would be better.

-It can be very, very tempting to join the game on the outskirts of civilization, and focus on external, NPC threats. Resist this temptation! No one will blame you (OOC) if you show up in the middle of the nation, ruining their plans. The game is about interaction between players, and to a certain degree this requires geographical proximity.
So serving the northwatch is okay- but serving in the northenmost of the northwatch's northern outposts... is probably not. Maybe move your character closer to home, or, heck, have him serve the Marquis directly: errand-knight may not be the most glamorous of positions, but it'll be sure to get you work, and plenty of opportunities to interact with others (and maybe arrange for a promotion).

Doubly asserting this.  Playing the single-player game is not only lonely, it's additional work for the GMs that increases your likelihood of lightning strike.  Hence why the worg-quest is slowly getting dovetailed so I can try and combine Adwarf, Kestrel and Kingfisher's characters' quests and have a combined adventure for the three of them.  Less GM work, more character interaction and roleplay, better experience for all.

YaK is almost sandboxy at times, but it revolves around politics - some of it PvE, some of it PvP.  And even if you pull the party line and serve the king loyally, there's plenty to do on that team alone.

Edit: Worg-riders are a unit, more powerful than cavalry.  They are also ridiculously rarer and likely have higher upkeep.  In order to produce worg-riders, you need to have access to a reliable source of Worgs.

Which means trade or quest.  There are Haegar provinces that have Worgs as a resource, I'll tell you that much, and fulfilling a quest would probably mean being able to recruit Worg riders instead of cavalry as your personal guard unit (as nobles aren't able to field cavalry without the Horse unit, but can field one cavalry unit/year as their personal guard).

If you wanted Worg riders as a permanent feature... you'd need to conquer Worg-source provinces in the Haegar lands and then have players manage them as nobles, or unify a Haegar country with three Worg-source provinces and establish a permanent international trade route.  And I'll tell you this much; there are probably 2+1d3 such provinces in the whole damn world.  So... not a minor endeavour.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 11:53:05 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: August 07, 2012, 11:58:01 pm »

@Iituem: Nice. I think I may be devising a wild plan for the future, when the kingdom is a little richer and the king grants my character a request.

How more powerful they are, when compared to cavalry? And how big are those regiments?
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: August 08, 2012, 12:22:45 am »

Don't know.  Will stat them if you ever get them.  Cavalry are +1 strength, goes up to +2 on open fields, steppe or defending a hill (implied they are riding down it) and grant a tactical bonus (but the tactics system might be due for a rewrite in a few weeks or sooner).  Worgs... probably that but bearing in mind they're actually bred to kill rather than just get you into battle quickly and be huge.  Possibly forest combat bonuses, since that's their native terrain.  Will have to think about it closer to the time.

Or, of course, if you face Haegar worg-riders.  Pray you do not face Haegar worg-riders.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: August 08, 2012, 12:24:27 am »

Or, of course, if you face Haegar worg-riders.  Pray you do not face Haegar worg-riders.

Archers//Spearmen!  :D

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: August 08, 2012, 12:26:46 am »

Archers//Spearmen!  :D
Halberds and pikes? Those usually work against horses.

Also, I don't want direct conflict with the Haegar. I may want to find an inventive way to get worg-riders within the proposed constraints, though (not likely).
>Yes?

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: August 08, 2012, 01:35:39 am »

Wait, wait wait....

• Haegar have been known to keep and raise worgs.
  • Haegar are excellent archers.
  • WORG-MOUNTED ARCHERS!
Ya know what? Being in the North is going to be interesting.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: August 08, 2012, 01:38:43 am »

@micelus: Huh...What do you mean? Does Osport count as a supply of worgs? I thought it was something like an advanced outpost of the Haegar hidden in Windheath's territory.

And about the archers, I was thinking about that. I have been thinking about the Haegar a little like the mongolian troops of Gengis Khan.
>Yes?

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: August 08, 2012, 01:46:50 am »

Eh? No, I was talking about Haegar in general.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: August 08, 2012, 01:50:16 am »

Eh? No, I was talking about Haegar in general.
Makes you wonder how Northwatch will hold up if the Haegar happen to be messed with.
>Yes?

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: August 08, 2012, 02:03:21 am »

3 Kills ain't so bad.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: August 08, 2012, 02:20:52 am »

It must be said that this YaK is our biggest one yet, and we 3 GMs doing things round the clock for everyone. Its important to keep interacting with other players as much as possible.

BTW, did my court thing got resolved? once we have that, summer can roll out.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 111