Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 111

Author Topic: You are King III: OOC thread  (Read 92042 times)

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
Re: You are King III: OOC thread
« Reply #270 on: July 20, 2012, 01:52:02 pm »

There are a number of problems with your sheet, Deny.

1) Paragraphs. Use them. Reading your bio is a strain on the eyes, very difficult to understand.
2) Run on sentences. You appear to have a tendency to place ","s and to continue your sentences for way too long. Divide them a little. Organize them.
3) The "twelve years going in a night thing" can't happen. I don't care if a urban legend states it happened near Jerusalem, it's scientifically impossible and magic is absent of YaK 3.
4) Your character apparently traveled throughout the two continents completely, and he even stayed long enough to observe the society and judge the different peoples. It would take decades to make such a travel, and besides it seems to serve no story purpose whatsoever.
5) Your first trait cannot give you a +2. Find something else.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 20, 2012, 03:03:30 pm »

Deny just change it that after your lad left his lands it was assumed that he too was dead. With his parents death there was no successor to the house and thus it vanished...

Although ShootandRun is the Gm i want to note that it doesn't seem that ridiculous for somebody to travel through two continents. If we say that travelling from one land to another takes about 6 months (crossing them completely) and that during that time he already learns about the culture as well as staying about 1 or 2 months in the Capital... we could guess that it would take him about 6 to 7 years to cross all the 2 Continents and take a decent bit of culture with him

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 20, 2012, 07:10:37 pm »

What are the rules regarding NPCs, exactly? Specifically sending them off on errands?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 20, 2012, 07:58:09 pm »

I think it's along the lines of 'so long as it's reasonable and doesn't give you any mechanical advantage it's fine'.  Such as sending the unintelligible peasant guy as a go-between - finding out who sent him is probably as simple as bribing him, after all.  You could probably send out one of your doormen to rough up a peasant somewhere, but you couldn't reasonably call upon a noble champion like the Lord did in the tournament.

Would that seem about right?
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 20, 2012, 09:39:32 pm »

Well I need to learn to stop posting at 2 in the morning, I knew people would probably have problems with it so I'll change it but hey, no harm in trying

and why can't I have +2 on my first trait, aren't we allowed three to spend, If you really insist then it'll just be +1, anyway edited
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 09:58:28 pm by Deny »
In denial of sanity...

and insanity

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 21, 2012, 10:19:39 am »

Well I need to learn to stop posting at 2 in the morning, I knew people would probably have problems with it so I'll change it but hey, no harm in trying

and why can't I have +2 on my first trait, aren't we allowed three to spend, If you really insist then it'll just be +1, anyway edited

I shall explain; skills and traits are one and the same, the both of them have 3 levels with a linear increase of the bonus; however, since higher levels are considerably harder to acquire than the lower ones, to allow a trait with a +2 during the character creation would be a greater boon than two traits with a +1, making such an approach obviously imbalanced.

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 21, 2012, 10:51:59 am »

Ah yes I see, very well I'll change it, I guess I'll be starting with one ducat, but you'll notice I like to ask questions as I enjoy pushing boundries
In denial of sanity...

and insanity

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 21, 2012, 11:27:55 am »

You'll note that there are nobles with the +2 trait when they only appear to have 2 traits.  The reason for this is that being 'noble' costs a ducat anyway.  Their +2 traits only cost 1 ducat, but they tend to be very specific (e.g. command bonuses with troops, but only when ambushing or fighting at sea).  GMs tend to approve balance issues like that.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 21, 2012, 05:35:19 pm »

You'll note that there are nobles with the +2 trait when they only appear to have 2 traits.  The reason for this is that being 'noble' costs a ducat anyway.  Their +2 traits only cost 1 ducat, but they tend to be very specific (e.g. command bonuses with troops, but only when ambushing or fighting at sea).  GMs tend to approve balance issues like that.

Could I get an upgrade on my Haegar diplo skill then?
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 21, 2012, 05:50:14 pm »

My primary fear when it comes to +2s as a whole is that they can be eventually upgraded to a +6; depending on the type of roll, that might as well be an instantaneous success.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 21, 2012, 07:35:40 pm »

Hrm, well, I'm still not 100% sure on the whole NPC thing, but I'll post this afternoon.
Sorry I've taken so long...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 21, 2012, 09:54:09 pm »

Well, regardless of the reason, am I in or not?
In denial of sanity...

and insanity

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 22, 2012, 09:47:21 am »

Adwarf, jump right in.

Deny - what are your plans for the game? I ask this question when I want to make sure people won't get bored after a few days or something.

In other news, people, I'd like to warn you that I'll be going on a vacation for three weeks, starting on tuesday. It's more of a long series of short vacations, so there will be times when I'll come around here, but I don't really know how often. Just wanted to warn you people. So, I may be absent for days in a row then be there for a week then absent for days in a row... It's a bit chaotic. If there are important actions to roll and I'm obviously not there, I leave them to Dwarmin; if Dwarmin is busy or is neutrality is questioned, I leave them to Ardas or Iituem, who are both experienced players and more than capable to roll a few things every so often.
Still, I should be there to roll things most of the time.

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 22, 2012, 11:33:04 am »

OK, plan, well firstly to serve the king but that or going against him is kinda a given, long term the idea is to restore some of the old family honor, make the Thunderhound's a force to be reckoned with, of course the line might well end with my guy, but hey it should be fun.
In denial of sanity...

and insanity

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 22, 2012, 03:45:49 pm »

So, Ardas and me talked about a hypothetical scenario, where we conquered the both kingdoms in the west.

I said, it would be a great idea to declare the Kingdom of Arendal with Großkönig des Arendals (High king of Arendal) as title.

What do you think about that?

The three kingdoms would be merge into one, giving us a neat new title and a de jure claim over all kingdoms.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 07:15:18 pm by Dragor23 »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 111