Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 111

Author Topic: You are King III: OOC thread  (Read 92158 times)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are King III: OOC thread
« Reply #675 on: August 08, 2012, 10:20:48 am »

Yeah, it is a bit too safe and quiet. Let's make some noise!
I'd probably be unruly myself depending on the circumstances, but I think Edgard and some other people are scheming enough already.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: August 08, 2012, 11:03:45 am »

At the theatre, only have a moment to type.

Open Court should really only be held once per year for sanity reasons.  On the other hand, depending on the workload of GMs (i.e. me) there's a likelihood that each season a single court opportunity might turn up to be dealt with or pursued.  After all, a noble has responsibilities.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: August 08, 2012, 12:40:30 pm »

Question for the GMS: Can I train skills which I already have a bonus on? Not so much for the combat one, since it would become cheap having +2 to polearms, but is it ok to train Metalworking and maybe learning a new skill, like Archery?
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: August 08, 2012, 01:02:42 pm »

Yes.  Skill training, if I remember correctly, works like this.

Once per season you can make a check to learn a skill (might as well do one for Spring before it ends) by declaring e.g. Goron the Mighty trains Basketweaving.  The GM rolls a certain number of dice and in a mystical formula that I don't understand (because it's probably been changed since YaK1 and Shoot hasn't explained it to me yet) you gain a certain number of training points toward that skill.  I believe you learn faster if you find a PC or NPC capable of training you in the skill.  The trainer must exceed the rank in question - to train level 1 the trainer must be level 2, to train level 2 the trainer must be level 3.

Level 1 (Trained): If you haven't trained a skill, you just need to make up 100 points and accomplish a small quest set by the GM.

Level 2 (Expert): You need to learn 100 points on your own, and then the remaining 100 points must be learned with a trainer.  Another, more substantial quest to achieve Expert status.

Level 3 (Master): Highest you can get.  Since there are no level 4 trainers, you must train 100 points with a Master, train 100 points on your own and then achieve the final 100 points through a major quest set by the GM.

With the exception of the mastery quest, minor quests I think just give you bonus points to training rather than are an actual necessity.  So for example, to train up metalworking you'll need to train on your own and then learn from a master smith.  In the case of metalworking, it has already been established that a master smith lives and works in Stormstead, and also that he charges extortionately and is overworked - so you'd probably have to do some sort of quest just to earn the right to train with him.

Generally I think the rule is that if an opportunity for a skill quest comes up, the GM will inform you when you train - requesting one won't work.  It is generally worth training skills, but be prepared to understand that it can take a year or more just to train a level 1 skill.

Of course I may be quite wrong, in which case Shoot should correct me.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: August 08, 2012, 01:08:18 pm »

@Iituem: Thanks for the help!

Ugh...That opens up a good deal of possibilities.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 01:12:39 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: August 08, 2012, 01:25:12 pm »

Done some 'quick' rolls.  Where Caellath's roll is concerned, bonus no-points to anyone who can spot the references to other characters in the names of the smiths.  (If the players in question are okay with that, they absolutely should be related to them.)

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #681 on: August 08, 2012, 01:32:40 pm »

Sure why not.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: August 08, 2012, 01:38:45 pm »

UNACCEPTABLE.
* NUKE9.13 flips the table.
CHANGE IT AT ONCE.

[/sarcasm sarcasm sarcasm]
Long Live United Forenia!

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: August 08, 2012, 01:41:10 pm »

@Iituem. Watt? Oh wait, there were no skill rolls, so I'm ok with that. I'm still deciding what skill to train. But wow, I guess I was lucky.
>Yes?

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: August 08, 2012, 03:20:46 pm »

Mic, unless that's a second unit of PG, the PG itself doesn't cost anything.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: August 08, 2012, 03:23:45 pm »

Not even hiring costs?

No wait, all the ducats spent were on upgrades. Already deducted, mind you.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: August 08, 2012, 05:36:14 pm »

Hmm, so training Polearms as a personal skill would mean Renart would then undergo a minor quest later on, in addition to the 10 points he already has in Logistics, as we can train 2 skills/season.

Interesting!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: August 08, 2012, 05:39:50 pm »

Hmm, so training Polearms as a personal skill would mean Renart would then undergo a minor quest later on, in addition to the 10 points he already has in Logistics, as we can train 2 skills/season.

Interesting!

Oh can we now?  Thought it was capped at one.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: August 08, 2012, 05:48:57 pm »

We cannot train two skills season. The section in the rules saying you can train two skills actually means you can HAVE two skills before losing training time, not that you can TRAIN two skills at the same time.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: August 08, 2012, 05:54:14 pm »

Gah.

Then I'm stuck with Logistics under Richard's banner then. Thanks for the clarification.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 111