Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 101

Author Topic: You are King III: Spring 938 AAL  (Read 131184 times)

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
Re: You are King III: Winter 937 AAL
« Reply #1395 on: November 08, 2012, 02:00:20 pm »

Theor stood in the commander table, watching a map which depicted Windheath. Not in a very good mood, he slammed his fists on the table, jerking the various little figures into the air, scattering them all around.  "CURSE IT." This son of a dog just fooled them! "We can't do anything about Parnoth now. We don't have a navy... Grrrr... We need this bridges repaired! For Bohromus sake, I need a drink." There was none. "I guess, there is nothing we can do. We lost this fight. We can only fathom where he will strike next. Our regent has not a nice father-in-law. But a clever one..."

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: November 10, 2012, 02:38:03 pm »

Gather torches, poisons (if we have any) and other miscellany supply-destroying tools. At nightfall, take three archers and sneak into Donnerstein territory. Attempt to locate their supply train, and check what sort of guards they have before proceeding further.
[3][3][1] You manage to find a large chunk of rat poison and four or five torches, however, anything else would be too suspicious to buy or find in your larder. You throw the chunk into a pouch and tie it to your belt.
[4+1vs2+1] The forest is dark, cold wind blowing through the sparse trees. It’s hard to avoid stepping on crunching leaves or remnants of the snow from the night before. Every crunch and movement of your feet send echoes through the sparse woods. The sound bounces off the trees, making you wince with every silence-breaking sound.
[2]But, it works the other way, as well, and you freeze, slipping behind a tree as a man wearing a thin green cloak and leathers glances about, his hood tipping this way and that as he scans his surroundings. Two other men, dressed the same. The leader carries a charcoal-dabbed sword, his two comrades each holding two-handed crossbows.
They don’t see you, not yet.

Talinth moves on to investigate on the warehouse.
[2][1][5]
The first thing you notice when you approach the warehouse is the lack of windows anywhere but the second floor, and that window is small and boarded over. It’s of thick grey stone, with mortar lines so small you can barely see them, in the midst of night. You notice not a single person going near the warehouse, besides yourself. It sits next to a tavern, which is darkly lit. A man stumbles out of the warehouse, swaying a little, the door slamming shut behind him.
He staggers down the alley, slowly, with swaying steps and a strange grin.

[6]vs[?]
[3]vs[?]
You have the nagging sense of being followed.

See if the men are more receptive to heading West now or if they would rather return home...or find another path.
[2+1] The men scowl, the captain’s fingers clenching on their axes and blades, before they fall into discussion with one another, huddled and speaking softly, occasionally a loud swear breaking the hushed murmuring. They finally part ways, Sigurd striding back over to you to speak.
[5+1]”We’ll go, if you lead.” are the only words the grizzled raider speaks, turning away and heading towards a line of men.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 02:53:43 pm by filiusenox »
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: November 10, 2012, 02:43:12 pm »

Zacharie's group was four, and there's was but three.
Zacharie's group was armed with the shortbows common to his regiment, and they had but a pair of crossbows and a blade.
More over: Zacharie's group had the element of surprise.
They knew what to do.

The three archers are to fire upon the three guards, focusing on the crossbow wielders first. As soon as the shots are fired, Zacharie moves in for a kill. They are to be as quick and silent as they can possibly be.
If victory gives me access to their supply train, proceed to poison the water and burn as many other supplies as I can before slipping off into the woods.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 03:50:06 pm by thatkid »
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: November 11, 2012, 12:50:49 am »

West...How can we reach the west except by an army that will lead to our deaths?

Impossible to sail by ship, impossible to cross axe with blade, impossible to return North with a head, not on a stick. It was too late, too late.

Osir gathered his men and spoke.

"Today we were slaughtered by a vast army and today we were forced to run...We simply cannot head West without getting through the very same army...As great as we are, we have no chance fighting an army of that size. I shall...speak with them and see if an understanding can be reached. Till then, head back to Adder's Keep, and don't stop till a raven is sent back...If none comes in three days, consider myself dead and do as you wish."

Order the army to return to Adder's Keep while I wait alone for the Royal Army. Have a white flag ready. Don't resist.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: November 11, 2012, 01:05:52 am »

The fangs had gotten lucky, being swept up in the Haeger's retreat. The haeger themselves however, were still in a formidable condition, and still capable of being a menace within the countryside.

To this end, the fangs had a solution: Burn the haeger food stocks, and let them starve to death. Burning the tents of the haeger troops was also a viable course of action...

Wait until nightfall, then burn the haeger supplies, torch any tents between the food and us, and make our escape into the woods once the food stocks have been set alight.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: November 11, 2012, 03:20:18 pm »

Talinth stared at the warehouse, Sahainn behind him. He turned to stare at her, but she seemed focused on the doors straight ahead, her snout's tip twitching as if she happened to be smelling something foul. The blacksmith knight sighed and nodded towards the tavern, moving there while keeping Sahainn a little away from him.
"I will need to obtain information first, Sahainn."

Get into the tavern, ask around about the warehouse, keeping Sahainn hidden outside but prepared to help should anything wrong happen.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: November 11, 2012, 04:32:23 pm »

[4] After half an hour of deliberation, Richard sent out word that the army would ride towards the Haegars, but that they had no intention of killing them if they were cooperative. Within the hour, the Royal Army and Renart's troops (with two standard regiments from Richard's to guard the fort) leave to march towards the Haegar forces.

Meanwhile, in the Haegar camp...

[1+1] While Osir is giving out orders, he sees a band of Haegars entering the tent, with Strigurd at their head. Before he can ask what's happening, he hears his bodyguard shouting something behind him, and all goes black. It would seem that the troops did not appreciate the defeat. However, some of Osir's men (namely, his own personal forces) choose to remain loyal to him, which causes the situation to deteriorate quickly.

[1] [6+1] [2-2] While the forces still loyal to Osir gather and start a battle in the camp to save their leader (despite the fact that they are dramatically outnumbered), a band of mercenaries set the supplies on fire. A few minutes and a Haegar on fire running in the booze stockpile later, the entire camp is a bloody mess, with soldiers fighting against everything they see and a massive fire spreading all across the place.

[3+1] The mercenaries, after a few scrapes with some of the fighters, manage to reach the woods without taking too much damage. [5-1] Miraculously, so do most of Osir's forces; in the chaos, most of the Haegars started simply seeing red and hitting everything, which allowed for the more rational ones to escape - while carrying their unconscious lord with them, of course. [2] Sigurd's Haegars... Are not so lucky. Most of them die to the flames or to their own brothers' swords, while the survivors scatter as they understand that they might lose the fight, and that the war camp is done anyway.

When the Royal Army arrives, they meet a vast scorched bit of land, still smoking in places, with a small camp to its south, filled with Osir's last loyal men. For a while, nothing comes of the soldiers as the marshal hesitates as to what he should do, but finally a messenger comes and speaks to the watchmen of the camp.

Osir is to come in our camp, alone and unarmed, before tomorrow night if he wishes to talk. If he does not come, or if he or his forces attempt to leave, they all die.

Osir wakes up a few hours later.

The three archers are to fire upon the three guards, focusing on the crossbow wielders first. As soon as the shots are fired, Zacharie moves in for a kill. They are to be as quick and silent as they can possibly be.
If victory gives me access to their supply train, proceed to poison the water and burn as many other supplies as I can before slipping off into the woods.

[646] One after the other, all of your archers jump out of cover and shoot. The first crossbowman dies without a sound, hit in they eye, but the other two see him. The swordsman charges and falls with an arrow through the throat, but the last crossbowman gets a shot off before falling too. [2] He hits one of the archers in the chest.

The last crossbowman and the archer both go through painful deaths, with the former having his throat sliced to prevent any sound and the latter being forced to keep quiet as blood filled his lung.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Get into the tavern, ask around about the warehouse, keeping Sahainn hidden outside but prepared to help should anything wrong happen.

[3] The people at the bar mostly keep quiet. While they don't tell you anything, you have a feeling telling you they're not lying - they're probably just a bunch of peasants looking for a good time, and have no idea what you're going on about.

[4] You still feel like you're being watched, but... No one's doing anything strange. How curious.

------------------------------
In the Stormstead palace...

The doctor is nearly falling asleep. It's his watch again; he should be remaining awake. For many months now, he remains in the chamber, awake (or nearly awake) every three night, watching over the sleeping king, praying not to be contaminated, contemplating his own incompetence over the matter. Lately, he no longer tries to stay awake; a part of him doubts that he would be of any use even if something - anything - happened to Albert.

This night, however, something is nagging him. He is unable to catch what, but something just isn't there. He first got the impression nearly half an hour ago, but he has been unable to find out what exactly is out of normality. Nothing changed in the chamber. The guards are still on their shifts, the lights still lit; no intruder around. The silence is nearly total - the only sound to be heard is the occasional guard passing by and his own breathing. Nothing else-

The doctor's eyes open wide. Nothing but his own breathing. Suddenly panicking, he checks first to make sure, and then, as he realizes what exactly is happening, he rushes out of the chamber.

Throughout the palace, his screams are heard everywhere. Servants, guards, courtiers and lords all wake up to the same words:

"The King is dead! The King is dead!"
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 08:14:49 pm by Shootandrun »

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: November 11, 2012, 04:55:25 pm »

Edgard knew that there would be no end to the problems, maddness and trouble for as long as the country was besieged within and without for as long as...

He hears cries. "Albert is dead? Oh gods..."

A letter is sent to Richard, informing him of his brother's death and recalling him to capital to take up the throne. Only Richard is informed at the moment.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 05:06:35 pm by Ardas »

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: November 11, 2012, 05:00:06 pm »

Ignore this. A new post will go up later.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 08:16:31 pm by thatkid »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: November 11, 2012, 05:06:00 pm »

A man and a woman were floating away from Stormstead on a simple water craft, their sails catching the warm evening wind. They were dressed as commoners...but they carry themselves as something more. They could both hear the tolling bells behind them...

The King was dead.

The young man rubbed his chin, where scant whiskers grew. He seems to have recently recovered from ill health-but...very happy, all the same. Like a weight was lifted off his shoulders.

"Pity, those bells-they toll for the King. He departs this life and goes to the next." He said, smiling slightly.

The Woman considers that, smiling shyly in return.

"I guess his long labor is over at last. The Kings brother will be sorely hurt. But...he has been living in Alberts shadow far too long. It is time he grew in the sunlight."

They both look out over the water.

"...Very sad. I hear he suffered greatly-the ravages of the fever will have all but rendered him unrecognizable. They will have to use a closed casket during the funeral." He says, putting a hand on her shoulder.

"But the people loved him-and they would do anything for him, wouldn't they?"

"They would. Even take his place, I'm sure."

The wind picks up, carrying the ship swiftly to clearer waters. They lean on each other.

"But, why dwell on things we can't change...

...Tell me, can you still play Le Guitarra, my love? Play for me..."

He nods.

And taking it-for it has been many a month since he held it-begins to play, lonely strings echoing out over the water.

Later, the stars will come out (for there are always lights, even in the darkest night), and they will watch them together.

Forever and ever, amen.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 05:08:53 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: November 11, 2012, 07:56:46 pm »

Talinth's gaze shifted from side to side as he walked around the tavern. Even if Sahainn wasn't present to hinder any possible information-gathering, most of the customers seemed simple people trying to enjoy their lives, their escape from a harsh life, through spirits.

He couldn't blame the men, but his search wasn't about their drinking matters.

Leave the tavern and check the warehouse itself with Sahainn. Circle around, search for anything suspicious and then get into hiding, waiting for anything worthy of note to happen.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: November 11, 2012, 07:59:36 pm »

Head back to northwatch.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: November 11, 2012, 08:33:13 pm »

He had lost three good men last night. Or, at least, he assumed that he had lost them. If any survived, they certainly had not returned home yet. Zacharie let out a quiet sigh, and dipped his quill into a pot of heated ink before setting words to parchment. It was a victory, none the less, but a bitter one all the same.
And what was more...The King was dead?

Marquis Zacharie De Chastain writes a letter to both Duc Edgard and Duc Richard, it is transcribed below for their player's pleasure and delivered by a trusted man from within Zacharie's ranks.

Spoiler: The Letter (click to show/hide)

Alistair is to locate the dependents of last night's fallen soldiers. If they are without any means to support themselves, they are to be offered work as castle staff.

(Charisma) He also writes a letter to Count Rudolph of Clearfalls Way, wherein he expresses sorrow at the news that any sort of ill has befallen the good people of Donnerstein, assures his friend that he has nothing to do with anything untoward, and asks if there is anything he might be able to do to help.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 08:38:39 pm by thatkid »

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: November 12, 2012, 01:51:01 am »

Very well...I've failed already anyway.

After awaking and hearing of the news, Osir said his farewells to his men, thanking them for their loyalty and service. He had little belief that he would live, but he truly had little care for it anymore. He agreed to enter the royalist camp...weaponless.

He arrived and disposed himself to the guards' tender mercies.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: November 12, 2012, 04:33:57 pm »

Very well...I've failed already anyway.

After awaking and hearing of the news, Osir said his farewells to his men, thanking them for their loyalty and service. He had little belief that he would live, but he truly had little care for it anymore. He agreed to enter the royalist camp...weaponless.

He arrived and disposed himself to the guards' tender mercies.
Edgard knew that there would be no end to the problems, maddness and trouble for as long as the country was besieged within and without for as long as...
A letter is sent to Richard, informing him of his brother's death and recalling him to capital to take up the throne. Only Richard is informed at the moment.

He had lost three good men last night. Or, at least, he assumed that he had lost them. If any survived, they certainly had not returned home yet. Zacharie let out a quiet sigh, and dipped his quill into a pot of heated ink before setting words to parchment. It was a victory, none the less, but a bitter one all the same.
And what was more...The King was dead?

Marquis Zacharie De Chastain writes a letter to both Duc Edgard and Duc Richard, it is transcribed below for their player's pleasure and delivered by a trusted man from within Zacharie's ranks.

Spoiler: The Letter (click to show/hide)

When Osir enters Richard's tent, following by two soldiers making sure there will be no mischief, he is welcomed by the sight of the marshal reading a letter. Renart is also in the tent, although he has not been informed of what's happening. When the prince looks at the two nobles, his eyes are grim.

"What you'll hear here must not leave this tent until we make a public announcement out of it.

Albert is dead. Left us in his sleep a few days ago. However, there's no time for grief. Parnoth is still, from what I know, somewhere along the coast; and his daughter has a good claim to the throne of Windheath. I will have to rush to Stormstead to be crowned, if only to prevent him from claiming the throne before hand. If I can get the Church behind me and have the ceremony done in a cathedral, it should strengthen our cause and weaken his, too. Renart, I am giving you the command of this army, with the duty of guarding the eastern coast against Parnoth. Osir, you're coming with me. Once in Stormstead, I'll forgive you for everything if you swear allegiance and give us some info about what's happening up north - I won't even take you as hostage. Any questions? If not, let's move."

Alistair is to locate the dependents of last night's fallen soldiers. If they are without any means to support themselves, they are to be offered work as castle staff.

(Charisma) He also writes a letter to Count Rudolph of Clearfalls Way, wherein he expresses sorrow at the news that any sort of ill has befallen the good people of Donnerstein, assures his friend that he has nothing to do with anything untoward, and asks if there is anything he might be able to do to help.

[5] The soldiers have no families whatsoever, from what you can learn. They were brothers who'd lost their parents in a forest fire, and were doing soldiery for a living. Their family died with them.
[4+1] Rudolph replies to your letter with enthusiasm, glad that you weren't involved, and informs you that he has convinced his political allies (who, together with him, form the bulk of the loyalist lords of Donnerstein) that no mischief from your side of the border was involved. The poor man is quite naive.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 101