Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 101

Author Topic: You are King III: Spring 938 AAL  (Read 131394 times)

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
Re: You are King III: Autumn 937 AAL
« Reply #1020 on: September 20, 2012, 05:08:06 pm »

"Take'em both. Jitpau said that the bear will protect you on the way."
Give the letter and the talisman to Ril.

Ril takes the letter with a roll of his eyes, slipping the talisman around his neck before once more turning and heading out. He stopped at an inn for a meat-pie, before finding his horse and setting off.

Take the letter to the monastery of Abernost, in the duchy of Parnos.
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: September 21, 2012, 12:56:57 pm »

Richard sends a call across the realm, asking his supporters to join him in Altaregia (interrupting whatever they are doing currently if possible).

Fust attempts an escape, using his Acrobatics to take a less travelled path.  He runs until he is reasonably sure he has lost the guards.

[1][No bonus, since Fust didn't get time to start acrobaticing] A firm hand is placed on your shoulder, preventing you to move. The guards firmly take your arms, preventing any movement. It would seem the "look over there" trick is very popular amongst the town's thieves, bandits and, perhaps, spies - and they are not pleased.

"I don't think so. You're coming with us no matter whether you want it or not... And if you try again I'll break your arm."

Try to convince her to give up and talk instead. If she as much as tenses for an attack, then try to move and make the knife blow hit armor or mail instead of flesh. Then both knight and worg should subdue her, nonlethally but with due force.

[4] She calms down a little as you talk, but she keeps the knife at your throat. After a long and silent moment, she lowers the knife - slightly - and speaks slowly, as if a little reluctantly.

"All right. Ask what you wish - but do it quickly, and I choose what questions I answer."

Take the letter to the monastery of Abernost, in the duchy of Parnos.

[4-1] The road to Parnos has been, remarkably, spared by the dangers of war. Not a soul attempts to intercept your message - a feat of luck, in times where the life expectancy of a messenger is extremely low whenever he leaves his liege's territory. You pass by the lands of Duke Rakon and Marquis Cyril, and you arrive in Parnos without any particular event.

[5]The monastery of Abernost is intact and fully functioning. You are welcomed by a few soldiers charged with protecting the priests (a fool's errand, for even in times of war no Adranic army would dare to raid a monastery of the Faith) who, after checking that you are not an heretic or a madman, let you inside the great building. After talking with a few monks and carefully explaining and re-explaining the reason of your coming, you are lead to the Grand Reader in charge of the monastery.

[1] After walking through a few corridors, the monk guiding you stops in an inner garden and says a few words of respect. Before you is a small, humble tomb, recently made, with the date "854-937" written upon it. The old man died nearly three months ago. Even before that, he was completely senile since the Great Fire of '26. It seems Jitpau's informations were dramatically outdated.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: September 21, 2012, 01:58:58 pm »

Ril bowed his head slightly in respect, giving a nod to the monk, before sitting down cross-legged in front of the tomb to read over the message he was tasked to deliver. He had learned his letters years ago, at ten, and his eyes danced over the print without much difficulty.

Read the Letter.

"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #1023 on: September 22, 2012, 12:50:22 pm »

Cyril arrivied in Altaregia as quickly as he could gather his men.  He entered dressed for battle, a scaled coat over a shirt of chain. His arms near bare, save for leather bracers adorned with etchings of elk. Leather greaves over a pair of plain slacks, and a pair of steel toed leather boots.

Flanking his sides were two men, on his left Winslow, captain of his personal guard. To the right Malkum, a giant of a man and "leader" of the militia that had joined him.

"So.. Richard."
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: September 22, 2012, 12:58:41 pm »

Cyril sat in his study, going through the letters and missives that had arrived in his absence, his king bedridden from the grey death, his friend the prince preparing for war against the regent.  The blauritter dead.  Asked to choose between the "word" of his king and the word of the prince. The choice however was simple.

Raise any levies I may have and ride to join Richard.

[6+1] Your nobles are fully at your back, themselves being strong supporters of the Prince.  They even rally support from the forest hunters to fill out their ranks.  [Noble unrest +1, full + bonus levies raised.]  The lay knights are not the best equipped, but what they lack in arms they make up in numbers.  A full two infantry regiments are brought together from your levies and journey with your own tactical archer regiment to Altaregia to join the fight.

You are trapped at knife-point between two unreasonable people.  How do you proceed?
Talinth spared a glance for Sahainn to prepare to attack to take down as fast as possible, but not kill, just in case.

"I really think you should calm down and take this knife out of my neck, miss." he said calmly. Of course, he still had chain mail to protect his neck and had somewhat quick reflexes, but it still was not a comfortable position. Mary had abused both his trust in the common folk and his moment of carelessness - since he wasn't expecting an attack in such a situation - to threaten his life.

"If your situation is bad, you're only making it worse by threatening me. Even if you did kill me, what do you think would happen? You would not be granted what you desire and would be hunted by law instead."

Try to convince her to give up and talk instead. If she as much as tenses for an attack, then try to move and make the knife blow hit armor or mail instead of flesh. Then both knight and worg should subdue her, nonlethally but with due force.

[5] Mary holds the knife at your neck for a few moments, then drops it.  Within seconds, Sahainn has the knife safely in her jaws.  Mary actually folds to the floor and bursts into tears.  Almost without thinking, Barran kneels and takes her in his arms.  Mary sobs quietly, while Barran speaks to you for the first time.

You hear the whole story, and it is sadly all that you expected.  Barran and Mary were lovers.  He had falsely promised to marry her, and fathered a daughter.  Mary was of southern birth, and under old southern law a promise to marriage was as good as a marriage - and he had written to her in a letter of his promise.  Barran had kept the girl as a hostage - he insists that she is safe and being cared for in a nunnery outside the city - and demanded the letter back to preserve his honour.  If he had been found out to have fathered an illegitimate child he stood no chance of marrying into the low nobility as his family wished him to.  Mary wanted him to marry her, then use the letter to claim that the girl had been born legitimately - preserving her own honour.

Things went wrong with his plan, though.  Mary's brothers stole the letter and used it against Barran, blackmailing him with the threat of revealing it to the king or to his family and seeing him lose his position and honour both.  He found himself forced to let them into the castle, initially just to pinch meat from the kitchens, but soon it ended up with stealing silver and valuables.  Mary knew nothing of it, but her brothers were and are professional thieves - if Barran thought he could, he would have captured and hanged them all if he had any proof that didn't implicate himself directly.  Proof of any other crimes they had committed.

Barran frowns.  "One more thing, Saer.  Last night, before you met with the king, I let them in again even though I swore I wouldn't.  They carried a bundle in with them, though - normally they just take things out.  It looked to be a cloak, some sort of rough southern wool.  I think there might have been bread inside."

"So there you have it," says Barran.  "We're at your mercy and your judgement.  If you tell the king or the court, I'm done for, but her brothers won't be able to blackmail anyone with the letter.  If not... I submit to your judgement instead, saer."

Two regiments...

Renart studied the composure of the men who served under him and decided that two regiments were enough. He wouldn't press his vassals for more, given their unwilling stupidity attitude. The people, were a more important factor.

While away, Renart entrusts the commonfolk [In secret] to keep Northwatch stable and not in the hands of those lesser lords. As well as keeping that Haegar ex-warchief safe, and the rest of the populace. Do not bring the Infantry Regiment loyal to my name that is guarding the Trade Route.

"Captain, ensure the levies are taken well cared off. We'd not like to lose our hunters ere the Winter falls. Make haste, we move for Dechire."

Move onto Dechire! Perhaps, raise any...more levies if possible?

Dechire: Ascertain their allegiance to Richard through finding out who currently is in charge. Hold a meeting with them and try to sway him/her over if not -- remind them of Richard's ancestry and of how he served loyally along with Albert. If successful, raise levies from there, as well as the past Duc's forces still loyal to him (for the glory of the realm) and march onwards to Richard's location, aiming to evade any enemies on the way if possible.

If they still resist, attempt to take the City by force and only the city -- not directly:
Attempt to Reveal and locations from ambush before the fight. Whichever goes, ensure that at least some portion of my troops are in the city before we make our attempt at taking it.

If Dechire is under control, request if I could gain ducats -- in the name of the protection of the realm, of course this is optional and for those who wish to contribute.

You arrive at Dechire and find out that a coalition of barons have already officially sided with Richard - they are sending three infantry regiments to Altaregia as they speak.  Unfortunately, this has exhausted all of the levies available there, along with the money.  It would appear everything they have is already at Richard's command - except for a very basic garrison, Dechire is defenceless.

Richard sends a call across the realm, asking his supporters to join him in Altaregia (interrupting whatever they are doing currently if possible).

Spiritusaer is defenceless and pacified now, but Dechire sends three regiments of infantry to Altaregia, having chosen their side.

"Of course my lord, of course. A leader should not be burdened with the crimes of what those below them commit, after all..."

Osir bowed, and said farewell. Being in the North was better than being in the middle of a civil war after all, and far better than being near the Prophet.

Head back to Osport and gather up my regiment and my court priest, Aki. Gather any news that has come out of the North as of late and then check with the clanlords on the current politics of the Haegari coast-tribes.

You head back to Osport, meeting briefly with some of Rakon's troops as you pass Spiritusaer.  [3+1] Your clanlords are still feeling warm to you after the drake hunts, and four-fifths of them suggest sending their bondsmen with you to the fight, should you need to raise levies.  Given how strong the clanlords are in Osport, that would equate to two regiments - one of them Berserker.

[6] The clanlords are very quiet about happenings up north - almost as if they don't know or are afraid to say.  You press the issue to little avail, but wake up one morning to find a note outside your door.
If you would wake the Kraken and visit a storm upon your lands, find the Haegar that Lionel protects.

[1][No bonus, since Fust didn't get time to start acrobaticing] A firm hand is placed on your shoulder, preventing you to move. The guards firmly take your arms, preventing any movement. It would seem the "look over there" trick is very popular amongst the town's thieves, bandits and, perhaps, spies - and they are not pleased.

"I don't think so. You're coming with us no matter whether you want it or not... And if you try again I'll break your arm."

Fust is bodily moved along.

"You make a convincing argument, saer.  I don't suppose I could convince you to forgot you saw me?  There's a house on the waterfront where I keep a spot of gold for friends - and a spot of female company, if you gather my meaning."
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 01:03:44 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: September 22, 2012, 01:02:13 pm »

Richard met Cyril's delegation right outside the camp of his own army, a few household knights at his side. He was smiling when the Marquis of War's End arrived, and from his tone he was in a very good mood when he spoke.

"Cyril. I am glad you came. How many men did you bring with you, old friend?"

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: September 22, 2012, 01:30:06 pm »

"Straight to business then?  Well Winslow has been training new recruits to replace the few lost during our worg hunt a ways back. I also have 2 further regiments, one of men from my vassals, their captain is out keeping the peace, the other lead by Malkum here. How many men were with you again?"
"Uh, lut." Malkum grunted heavily under his breath.
"Hear that Prince Richard? An entire 'lut' of men under your command."

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: September 22, 2012, 02:17:35 pm »

Harald was standing in the Warroom of Stormstead's Castle, staring onto the map. Every single Duchy had proclaimed a side...except for Dechire and Oathbreaker. Dechire...he had an idea.

He sent a servant for the Regent.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: September 22, 2012, 02:23:20 pm »

Regent walked into the war room, with rather bleak and weary look in his eyes.

"Yes, Harald? You got news or is it something you want?"

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: September 22, 2012, 02:23:58 pm »

Richard gave a curious look to Malkum, but his attention quickly returned to the Marquis.

"So, a regiment and an entire lut of men. Good. We have a few things to talk about, Cyril, but I would like to do that in my tent - where no one will be listening, trying to learn things they shouldn't know. If you will follow me?"

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: September 22, 2012, 02:39:09 pm »

"Of course! Winslow, assist Ser Shaw. Malkum... just.. don't do.. bad.  Yes?"

Cyril followed the prince to his tent alone.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: September 22, 2012, 02:51:58 pm »

Harald looked up. My liege. i have studied the map for a while now and came to a conclusion. All Duchies with a Duc or a Marquis have declared for a side. Leaving two Duchies which haven't declared for anyone up to now. Oathbreaker and Dechire. You see what i mean?

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: September 22, 2012, 03:18:49 pm »

"So.. you wish to force them to choose sides too? don't you think leaving Stormstead is dangerous? Richard has more troops, if we leave ourselves undefended in capital, he might storm us. Besides, Dechire is rather close to Altaregia."

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: September 22, 2012, 03:48:40 pm »

So you rather sit around and wait for him to get enough support to storm Stormstead? What i propose is to move in to Dechire and police the lands after all brigands are common lately.  And if Richard decides to attack Stormstead and it shows that Dechire troops are among them i can hang loose upon them all the repressed anger of my men from the War of the Hounds. If he then continues to move against you he will lose support of his Dechire troops. On the other hand should he decide to come to Dechire i will merely retreat. I force him to divide his men as he cant leave it unprotected.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: September 22, 2012, 03:58:24 pm »

"Hmm.. I havew some doubts. I do not want to inflict too much pain on our countrymen, but will we gain support if Dechire is supressed? Besides, you risk a clash with his troops who are superioir in numbers.
Can you guarantee me that your plan will work?"

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 101